Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Tiger / Cisco VPN 4.9.01.* routes everything thru VPN?

Tiger / Cisco VPN 4.9.01.* routes everything thru VPN?
Since EBCDIC
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 19, 2008, 02:31 PM

An acquaintance uses Cisco VPN 4.9.01.0080 (under Tiger, on a G4 PB) to connect to his office. If he's got Adium or an RSS feed already established all continues well (with those connections) after he fires up the VPN. However, he loses the ability to visit websites (through the cafe's WiFi).

Is there a way to tell the Cisco VPN client to route *only* his office traffic (email, build machines, shared volumes, etc.) through the VPN?

I've pointed him to the .0100 build, and suggested he rattle Cisco's cage with this question, but I'm betting I get a definitive answer before he does.
Since EBCDIC
Using Macs since they were Lisas.

ide3308
Mar 19, 2008, 04:54 PM

there might be an option to only use VPN for certain domains. OS X has a setting like that.

Since EBCDIC  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 19, 2008, 05:20 PM

Oh, you mean the Mac OS X VPN client. Yeah, maybe that's what I'm thinking of. I can't imagine that there's no way of telling the Cisco client the same thing.

Someone here will know :-/
Since EBCDIC
Using Macs since they were Lisas.

Nivag
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2008, 05:36 PM

In the Cisco client Preferences there is an option to Allow Local LAN Access, it that what they need?
Allow Local LAN Access

The Allow Local LAN Access parameter gives you access to resources on your local LAN when you are connected through a secure gateway to a central-site VPN device.

•When this parameter is enabled:

–You can access local resources (printer, fax, shared files, other systems) while connected.

–You can access up to 10 networks. A network administrator at the central site configures a list of networks at the VPN Client side that you can access.

–If you are connected to a central site, all traffic from your system goes through the IPSec tunnel except traffic to the networks excluded from doing so (in the network list).

–If enabled on the VPN Client and permitted on the central-site VPN device, you can see a list of the local LANs that are available by choosing Statistics from the Status menu and clicking the Route Details tab. For more information, see the "Route Details" section.

•When this parameter is disabled, all traffic from your client system goes through the IPSec connection to the secure gateway.

If the local LAN you are using is not secure, you should not enable local LAN access. For example, do not enable this feature when you are using a local LAN in a hotel or airport.

To enable this feature, check the Allow Local LAN Access check box on the VPN Client. You must also enable this feature on the VPN device you are connecting to.
taken from here VPN Client User Guide for Mac OS X, Release 4.6 - Configuring Connection Entries� [Cisco VPN Client] - Cisco Systems

OreoCookie
Mar 19, 2008, 07:13 PM

You should give VPN Tracker a try.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules