Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Mozilla on OS 9.2.2 and IE

Mozilla on OS 9.2.2 and IE
rampel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 14, 2003, 02:24 AM

Does any one know (remember) the text line that can be added to the Mozilla prefs.js file, which enables Mozilla to "present" itself as IE 5/6 for Windows?

I need this cause some sites - my bank foe example - will accept only IE Win

TIA

rampel, on 9600, OS 9.2.2 Mozilla 1.3.1

dru
Senior User
Jul 14, 2003, 04:30 PM

Originally posted by rampel:
Does any one know (remember) the text line that can be added to the Mozilla prefs.js file, which enables Mozilla to "present" itself as IE 5/6 for Windows?

I need this cause some sites - my bank foe example - will accept only IE Win

TIA

rampel, on 9600, OS 9.2.2 Mozilla 1.3.1
Here you go:

user_pref("general.useragent.override", "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible;MSIE 5.5; Windows 98)");

It has to go in a user.js file you make in the same folder as prefs.js. Mozilla will overwrite prefs.js. Once you put it in the file and restart Mozilla, go to this site to see what the user agent is reported as: http://webtips.dan.info/cgi-bin/browser.pl Good luck.
( Last edited by dru; Jul 14, 2003 at 04:58 PM. )
20" iMac C2D/2.4GHz 3GB RAM 10.6.8 (10H549)

rampel  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 14, 2003, 05:03 PM

Originally posted by dru:
Here you go:

user_pref("general.useragent.override", "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible;MSIE 5.5; Windows 98)");

It has to go in a user.js file you make in the same folder as prefs.js. Mozilla will overwrite prefs.js. Once you put it in the file and restart Mozilla, go to this site to see what the user agent is reported as: http://webtips.dan.info/cgi-bin/browser.pl Good luck.
Thanks a lot Dru,
OK so I just make a new file called user.js with this line in it. I can use BBEDIT I guess?

dru
Senior User
Jul 16, 2003, 07:02 AM

Thanks a lot Dru,
OK so I just make a new file called user.js with this line in it. I can use BBEDIT I guess?
Or TextEdit.

rampel  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 16, 2003, 07:12 AM

Kool, thanks

dru
Senior User
Jul 17, 2003, 06:38 AM

I just found another Mozilla tip that seems to have made things a little smoother for me on 9.x. In user.js put in the line user_pref("nglayout.initialpaint.delay",0);

This tells Mozilla not to wait before displaying a page. On "slower" systems this might not help since Mozilla might have to redraw the page as more data is downloaded. Maybe it's just placebo effect but it seems to bit a bit better for me. I don't know if I can call it snappy though.

rampel  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 17, 2003, 08:13 AM

Thanks Dru, kool

I sure appreciate those tips, especially for OS 9.x - for which no one seems to care any more

Keep it up!

ramon

rampel  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 27, 2003, 03:40 AM

Thanks a lot Dru,
Hi again Dru,

I created a user.js file and went to the site you suggested, where my browser was recognized as IE 6 on Win XP (I modified some parts)

But when I go to my bank account again - it's not recognized as such, no go.

I removed the user.js file and went to Dan's site, it's STILL seen as IE 6 on Win XP . .

Any suggestions?

TIA

rampel

Forum Links
Forum Rules