Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Did you get my email? workplace vs. dating

Did you get my email? workplace vs. dating
krillbee
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 16, 2007, 09:52 PM

Why is it that the phrase "did you get my email?" is completely acceptable to use in the workplace, but completely unacceptable to use in the dating world?

Railroader
Banned
Oct 16, 2007, 09:55 PM

You shouldn't be emailing those you are dating. Your relationship should be closer than that.

Email leaves a e-paper trail and provides evidence and proof of what you typed. Good in business, bad in relationships.

pinenuts
Baninated
Location: i have moved to another location per peter's message
Oct 16, 2007, 09:55 PM

Cause in the workplace you have the return receipt thing to blackmail your co-workers into resignation and that doesn't work well in the dating world.

krillbee  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 17, 2007, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
You shouldn't be emailing those you are dating. Your relationship should be closer than that.

Email leaves a e-paper trail and provides evidence and proof of what you typed. Good in business, bad in relationships.
replace 'email' with 'text message'.

sadly lots of women who are dating use text messaging these days.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 17, 2007, 04:19 AM

Best response ever.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Oct 17, 2007, 06:41 AM

It's not acceptable at work, either. If I read your email, then I will reply when I have an answer for you.

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2007, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by krillbee View Post
Why is it that the phrase "did you get my email?" is completely acceptable to use in the workplace, but completely unacceptable to use in the dating world?
Because she did get your email. And since she didn't respond, you can be sure that she listed your email as Junk. That is why you don't ask. You already know.

natnabour
Forum Regular
Oct 17, 2007, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by krillbee View Post
replace 'email' with 'text message'.

sadly lots of women who are dating use text messaging these days.

What's wrong with text messages? I know a lot of people who simply don't like talking on the phone, or just don't want to call someone for a quick yes or no question - best solution = text messages.

Personally, I'd rather text message someone than speak to them over the phone. I prefer it for ''up to date status'' types of info like....''where are you?" or...''running 5 min. late"....it avoids small talk when you call TO ask someone those questions. Straight to the point.

I also think in the dating world that it's less...INYOURFACE than a phone call. Especially if you're the casual dater and do lots of ''spur of the moment'' things. If you text message someone asking if they're available for coffee etc in the next 45 minutes, if they're free...a-ok. if they're not or they simply don't want to, it's less of a rejection if they say no.

They're also PERFECT for getting info throughout the day without annoying your boss with 30 personal phone calls.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Oct 17, 2007, 01:21 PM

I'm not sure I know anyone that sends or receives text messages.

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 17, 2007, 01:36 PM

You're right. I should stop emailing my wife and drive 30 miles to where she works when I want to send her a link. Or better yet, call her.

"http://youtube.com slash bee arr capital jay three..."

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Oct 17, 2007, 02:25 PM

adf

Railroader
Banned
Oct 17, 2007, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
You're right. I should stop emailing my wife and drive 30 miles to where she works when I want to send her a link. Or better yet, call her.

"http://youtube.com slash bee arr capital jay three..."
Obviously, there are exceptions regarding email jokes, but for the most part, email in a relationship is poor communication.

Also, you are married, not dating or starting a new relationship. Totally different situation.

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 17, 2007, 02:37 PM

Obviously, there are exceptions regarding email jokes, but for the most part, email in a relationship is poor communication.

Also, you are married, not dating or starting a new relationship. Totally different situation.
Why?

People that are dating aren't attached at the hip. Generally you can't call each other so sometimes all you have is email. I don't see why email is equivalent to "poor communication". It's COMMUNICATION, which is essential to any relationship. Who cares what format it is?

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2007, 02:39 PM

and also, you don't have to hear them either cry or cheering for joy if you break up with them

Railroader
Banned
Oct 17, 2007, 02:44 PM

Why?

People that are dating aren't attached at the hip. Generally you can't call each other so sometimes all you have is email. I don't see why email is equivalent to "poor communication". It's COMMUNICATION, which is essential to any relationship. Who cares what format it is?
Email is very impersonal. If you want a relationship that is impersonal, feel free to use email.

Laminar
Clinically Insane
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 17, 2007, 02:45 PM

Why?

For me, if it's during the day to say something quick it's a text or facebook message, to say something substantial it's an email, and at night it's a phone call. We see each other about twice a week, but next semester we'll about 4 and a half hours apart.

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 17, 2007, 02:47 PM

Email is very impersonal. If you want a relationship that is impersonal, feel free to use email.
Bullshit.

I fail to see why Email is any different than when people used to write letters. I write rather personal Emails to my friends. Should I send a regular letter instead?

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 17, 2007, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
For me, if it's during the day to say something quick it's a text or facebook message, to say something substantial it's an email, and at night it's a phone call. We see each other about twice a week, but next semester we'll about 4 and a half hours apart.
DING DING DING. We have a winner.

Railroader
Banned
Oct 17, 2007, 02:54 PM

Bullshit.

I fail to see why Email is any different than when people used to write letters. I write rather personal Emails to my friends. Should I send a regular letter instead?
There's no need to use profanity.

Are you saying you have the same kind of relationship with your wife as you do your friends? Does your wife know this? My wife would be appalled (rightfully so) if I even implied that about her.

Laminar
Clinically Insane
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 17, 2007, 02:55 PM

The type of things that you communicate to your friends and your wife are different though. There are things I wouldn't say or do in an email or text. There are things better left said in person.

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 17, 2007, 02:59 PM

There's no need to use profanity.

Are you saying you have the same kind of relationship with your wife as you do your friends? Does your wife know this? My wife would be appalled (rightfully so) if I even implied that about her.
What in God's name are you talking about?

paul w
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2007, 03:05 PM

Jeez people, communicate however you like.

When my own sweet honeybunny is away travelling for work we exhcange long, überromantic emails. It's a wonderful thing.

Or when we're at the office sometimes we'll dash one off - especially if it's a link to a concert/movie listing or something funny from teh interwebs...

Or sometimes out of the blue, so that, while sifting through the junk in their mailbox they'll get something nice from the person that loves them.

Does this replace/inhibit other forms of communication? No.

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 17, 2007, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by paul w View Post
Jeez people, communicate however you like.

When my own sweet honeybunny is away travelling for work we exhcange long, überromantic emails. It's a wonderful thing.

Or when we're at the office sometimes we'll dash one off - especially if it's a link to a concert/movie listing or something funny from teh interwebs...

Or sometimes out of the blue, so that, while sifting through the junk in their mailbox they'll get something nice from the person that loves them.

Does this replace/inhibit other forms of communication? No.
Exactly.

There's a reason for any kind of communication. Sometimes I'll fire off an email to my wife and say "check this out <blah blah blah> we'll talk about it later". You just want to shoot off a thought. That's low? Please, it's better to have SOME form of communication than be a ********* and not have any at all.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2007, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by wallinbl View Post
It's not acceptable at work, either. If I read your email, then I will reply when I have an answer for you.
I agree in nearly all cases. At work, the only time I go after someone about an email is if they notoriously do not read their messages or check their inbox, and it's something I need a response on ASAP. Otherwise, I leave it up to them - once the mail is sent, it's their responsibility to read it and take action when necessary.

Originally Posted by natnabour View Post
What's wrong with text messages? I know a lot of people who simply don't like talking on the phone, or just don't want to call someone for a quick yes or no question - best solution = text messages.
Especially when you're in a situation where one or both of you can't answer the phone. I love text messaging, it's short, to the point, and allows for instant and fast communication. Picture messages are a lot of fun, too.

I dated a guy who worked in broadcasting. His schedule had him at work and unavailable to answer his phone between 2:00 PM and midnight. His sleep schedule had him getting up at 10:00 or 11:00 in the morning, when I was at lunch or in meetings. The only way we could talk to each other was through text messaging, and it was plenty personal and worked out nicely.

You can't make a blanket statement like that. My grandfather fell and broke his hip last month and was put into intensive care. I was able to find out about it immediately because my mother sent me an email as soon as she heard the news. She was unable to call me and let me know, and knew that I'd want to know ASAP, so she sent an email. I wouldn't call that "poor communication".

In some cases, email can be bad. If you're in an abusive relationship, your words can be twisted against you. But email can be very, very useful in many situations, and using it does not default to "poor communication". If one person in the relationship is frequently away on business and in a different time zone (India's like fourteen hours behind the Eastern United States), phone calls aren't possible, letters take too long...which leaves you with email, which allows easy and intimate communication with someone without the hassles of mail or the cost of international or long-distance phone calls.

And now you're just being condescending. If you don't want to use email with your family, friends, and significant other(s), that's your prereogative. But it's a little rude of you to tell everyone else that they're less than you because they use email. That's like telling someone they're less than you because they prefer ranch dressing, and you like a light vinaigrette.

Voice your opinions all you want, but quit insulting people because they choose to do things differently than you. It's not necessary.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 17, 2007, 03:24 PM

Did you get this post ?

-t

Railroader
Banned
Oct 17, 2007, 03:27 PM

What in God's name are you talking about?
Seriously?!? You don't know?

Why did you bring friends into the topic? Why are you associating the way you communicate with friends with how you communicate with your wife?

Please, try to be cordial. I am extending respect to you, I ask the same in return.

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 17, 2007, 03:34 PM

I think others here have done a good job of expressing exactly what I meant.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 18, 2007, 06:09 PM

India's like fourteen hours behind the Eastern United States
Actually, it’s ten hours ahead, not 14 behind

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 24, 2007, 02:20 PM

Ok, so just to weigh in on the legitimacy of these requests even in the business world.

I recently sent an email to a company. After 5 days (!!!!!), it got returned to me with the error "Connection timed out". After 120 freaking hours !
It got hung up in cyberspace for 5 days, and neither me nor the receiver knew about it.

I think we just expect that emails get delivered, and that emails would never get lost. Well, think again.

-t

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Oct 24, 2007, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
I think we just expect that emails get delivered, and that emails would never get lost. Well, think again.
Score one for those arguing that email shouldn't be used in the dating world. You're going to end up in a real life version of those cell phone commercials where the call drops right when one person says something rude.

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Oct 24, 2007, 03:55 PM

i prefer sexual relations to textual.

Thats just me though....

Forum Links
Forum Rules