Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > New hope for the Panther finder...

New hope for the Panther finder...
iOliverC
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 2, 2003, 03:52 PM

See here...

It seems our good friends from Unsanity may have found a solution to what many consider the brushed metal problem, or partly.

Read on...

mrbiiggy2
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 2, 2003, 03:54 PM

I knew they'd figure it out eventually.

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 2, 2003, 04:02 PM

Unsanity is going to go down as one of the greatest Mac developers ever, for fixing all the OS X things Apple wouldn't do right in the first place.

mrbiiggy2
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 2, 2003, 04:05 PM

Originally posted by codywalton:
Unsanity is going to go down as one of the greatest Mac developers ever, for fixing all the OS X things Apple wouldn't do right in the first place.
Haven't they already?

Zimphire
Baninated
Oct 2, 2003, 05:28 PM

I don't think there is anything that needs fixed in the brushed metal look. I like it. So to say it isn't done right is highly subjective.

What you mean is, It isn't done the way YOU wanted them to do.

phillryu
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2003, 05:48 PM

This is great though, personally I find the metal finder so fat for what I want it to do. I've been using the aqua finder for a while, but it has problems with not remembering that windows should be aqua, etc. so an unsanity hack would do nicely.

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

Brien
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2003, 09:28 PM

Meh, metal no longer bugs me... it's the fake metal I hate.

BTW phillryu, I love your sig...

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2003, 09:41 PM

Well that's nice you guys like metal, but a lot of us don't... It got old after QuickTime 5.
YAY! I love Unsanity! They are the best.
click one

neoTony
Oct 2, 2003, 11:12 PM

Didn't you see the picture? Slava & Co. can't change the static images that are built into the finder. And seriously - have you used the new finder? It is quite a nice setup, and has made me a lot more productive.

Brushed metal was a bad idea, but they've implemented it well.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2003, 12:39 AM

Hay they said they were still trying to get rid of that metal that was left, and it will help with themes even if we have to replace the metal texture with something that would match the theme somewhat,

The new Finder is good, but really they should make up their minds on the UI, metal or aqua, one or the other. It needs to be consistent, it's a rule of design even. Random metal windows are really a stupid idea.
click one

Kujo
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 3, 2003, 01:27 AM

i think thats pretty lame. i guess its just me but i would much rather have this...

http://www.qfrag.com/~kujo/panther.png

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2003, 01:35 AM

Originally posted by Kujo:
i think thats pretty lame. i guess its just me but i would much rather have this...

That is a theme though... The big problem with the panther metal is that it's only grey scale so you're really limited when it comes to thems... This could really help though, so it's not lame. I hope they find a way to get rid of all the metal.
click one

drnkn_stylz
Senior User
Oct 3, 2003, 01:37 AM

Kujo --> That looks awesome. Now THAT'S a Finder I could love!

sanity assassin
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2003, 04:48 AM

I did a test of chanina Panther metal to Aqua a while back and it is possible; but it requires one to change the resources in the Extras.rsrc file with bitmaps. What this does though, is change any other metal app that uses those resources to the same Aqua look. It's not clean, but can give you a complete Aqua look.

I like the metal Finder now though, thought I'd hate it, but it works well.
Rockstar Games - better than reality.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Oct 3, 2003, 07:36 AM

Originally posted by neoTony:
have you used the new finder? It is quite a nice setup, and has made me a lot more productive.

I haven't used the new finder, but I did see Steve demo it and I don't get it. He said it was much better, but exactly how again? Can someone tell me what I have to look forward to please? To me it just looks like they took the 'favorite' type stuff from the top of the finder window and moved it down to the side. What is the big deal?

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 3, 2003, 08:43 AM

Originally posted by mrtew:
I haven't used the new finder, but I did see Steve demo it and I don't get it. He said it was much better, but exactly how again? Can someone tell me what I have to look forward to please? To me it just looks like they took the 'favorite' type stuff from the top of the finder window and moved it down to the side. What is the big deal?
That's exactly how I feel. It looks nice and all, but does it add any new features or abilities? It doesn't seem to. It just seems to arbitrarily change Finder's GUI to metal. Why? Seems to me like another of Steve's attempts at cracking down on theming.

Of course I've haven't had the privelige ofactually using Panther yet, so if I'm wrong about Finder not having anything new, please inform me.

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Oct 3, 2003, 09:32 AM

That's exactly how I feel. It looks nice and all, but does it add any new features or abilities? It doesn't seem to. It just seems to arbitrarily change Finder's GUI to metal. Why? Seems to me like another of Steve's attempts at cracking down on theming.

Of course I've haven't had the privelige ofactually using Panther yet, so if I'm wrong about Finder not having anything new, please inform me.
The idea with the new finder is to make it iTunes like, with a "source" column to the left and the status at the bottom. That's a nice idea, but I'd rather see it in Aqua though. I'm sure that Panther will be just as themeable as Jaguar, even more in som aspects. I'm mainly thinking about that the new Finder toolbar buttons are the same in all languages and that they have added the Plastic and Metal buttons to the Extras.rsrc so that a theme will have greater impact.
I always said that there would be a way to demetallifizer the finder, and even though it's not completely done, it sounds like it might just be a minor thing to fix.

Kujo
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 3, 2003, 02:38 PM

Originally posted by NetworkShadow:
That is a theme though... The big problem with the panther metal is that it's only grey scale so you're really limited when it comes to thems... This could really help though, so it's not lame. I hope they find a way to get rid of all the metal.
no man thats panther with a mod that swiz did.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2003, 04:07 PM

Actually I don't mind the metal theme as much as I hate the brush metal look for the finder. Yes the brush metal does look nice in some apps like iTunes, but not for the finder.

As long as I can get rid of the brush metal, I'm cool.

Here is something using Apple's new panther look with some window buttons borrow from Swiz.

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Oct 3, 2003, 07:26 PM

These are showing up something I really am beginning to dislike in Panther.
why haven't the 'button's' with drop-down menus got any sort of line between the icon and the arrow telling you it's a menu.
It would look so much better, these buttons (there is the 'list' like button, and the one with the cog on (? meaning what)) look sort of unbalanced. They could use line like the one between the forward & backward and the 'display window as' buttons. It would visually break up the button so the icon could be in the center of it's part an the arrow in it's.
like this.

I think someone is going to have to make a set of 'toolbar button icons' because regular icons (eg. the 'info' round icon shown in the above post) now look some how 'incorrect' next to all the Apple buttons (forward back etc.).

gthyb
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 3, 2003, 07:27 PM

at this point i dont care if it looks like metal or not. but i hate the fact that it it resizes slow like any other metal app.

themings isn't going to fix that.

granted, if you hide the toolbar, it changes back to a regular aqua window, with decent resizing, but still, theres no fun in that.

bbxstudio
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 3, 2003, 07:43 PM

Originally posted by Mediaman_12:
Consistency just isn't one of Apple's GUI team's strengths these days

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2003, 07:57 PM

Originally posted by Mediaman_12:
why haven't the 'button's' with drop-down menus got any sort of line between the icon and the arrow telling you it's a menu.
It would look so much better, these buttons (there is the 'list' like button, and the one with the cog on (? meaning what)) look sort of unbalanced. They could use line like the one between the forward & backward and the 'display window as' buttons. It would visually break up the button so the icon could be in the center of it's part an the arrow in it's.
like this.

I think someone is going to have to make a set of 'toolbar button icons' because regular icons (eg. the 'info' round icon shown in the above post) now look some how 'incorrect' next to all the Apple buttons (forward back etc.).

Actually, yours look like it's two buttons if you have a line there since the line is for dividing each button. People might get easily confused.

ryaxnb
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 3, 2003, 09:23 PM

Originally posted by brien:
Meh, metal no longer bugs me... it's the fake metal I hate.

BTW phillryu, I love your sig...
What fake metal? You mean the metal in iTunes, iMovie, iPhoto and iDVD (and QuickTime) that's custom-drawn?
Trainiable is to cat as ability to live without food is to human.
Steveis... said: "What would scammers do with this info..." talking about a debit card number!

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2003, 10:31 PM

no man thats panther with a mod that swiz did.
Hello, themes are mods... It's the very same thing, it's just changing the UI system resources.

I wonder if there's a way to use full color textures for Panther metal? There has to be a way of hacking that...
click one

Kujo
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 3, 2003, 10:37 PM

Hello, themes are mods... It's the very same thing, it's just changing the UI system resources.

I wonder if there's a way to use full color textures for Panther metal? There has to be a way of hacking that...
its just as simple to edit that image in panther as it is to use the app that adds the ugly title bar to it.

Groovy
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 4, 2003, 02:07 AM

yeah I like that but it needs to be a few shades darker. Not metal but just a tad darker.

iOliverC  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 4, 2003, 05:40 AM

Well, seems Unsanity/Slava has advanced somewhat.

Check it...

Read on...

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2003, 09:59 AM

I will pay good money for this if they can get rid of the brushed metal Finder. This isn't the same as a theme, correct? Their implimentation will allow for transparent background windows and such? (Hell, even if it doesn't, I will still buy this!)

slava
Forum Regular
Oct 4, 2003, 01:58 PM

Originally posted by Jim Paradise:
I will pay good money for this if they can get rid of the brushed metal Finder. This isn't the same as a theme, correct? Their implimentation will allow for transparent background windows and such? (Hell, even if it doesn't, I will still buy this!)
Jim: thanks for willing to pay us, but Metallifizer will remain freeware. =)
// slava@unsanity

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2003, 03:17 PM

Cool! A lot of us themers are very happy. Keep turning out good haxies and we'll keep paying for them, I know I will. I own Silk, FruitMenu, and Labels X.
click one

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2003, 04:50 PM

Originally posted by slava:
That'll work

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2003, 07:20 PM

Damn! Thank you! I really do see this as being a benifit to the Mac community.

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Oct 10, 2003, 05:58 PM

Wow, that is pretty cool . . . get rid of the blue widgets and sign me up .

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Oct 10, 2003, 06:10 PM

See the problem is what if you ONLY want the Finder to be deMetallifized but iTunes, QuickTime and such to stay metal.

Then you can't use Metallifizer right?

mrtew
Professional Poster
Oct 10, 2003, 06:13 PM

Originally posted by ae86_16v:
See the problem is what if you ONLY want the Finder to be deMetallifized but iTunes, QuickTime and such to stay metal.

I don't think that ANYTHING is going to make iTunes or QuickTime not be metal, except for a specific iTunes/QT theme such as mine. They totally use their own self contained resources.

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

keston
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 10, 2003, 07:18 PM

Metallifizer, like most other APE modules have an EXCLUDE list/tab that you can specify Apps that you don't want them applied to.

brapper
Professional Poster
Oct 10, 2003, 08:58 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
I don't think there is anything that needs fixed in the brushed metal look. I like it. So to say it isn't done right is highly subjective.

What you mean is, It isn't done the way YOU wanted them to do.
ahmen!

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Oct 10, 2003, 09:03 PM

I guess you've never used the Metallifizer for Jag.
click one

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Oct 10, 2003, 10:05 PM

I guess you've never used the Metallifizer for Jag.
Ohhh.....Yeah, I did once. But I didn't really play around with it. I just remember it messed up my Camino GUI, so I deleted it after that.

Thanks for the info though. Now I know. . .

ryaxnb
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 11, 2003, 02:54 AM

What are those icons from the special blue
x-+ theme?
Trainiable is to cat as ability to live without food is to human.
Steveis... said: "What would scammers do with this info..." talking about a debit card number!

cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 11, 2003, 03:24 AM

Where can I get these blue widgets? I'd personally be happy with brushed metal with the blue widgets. Thanks in advance!

cs
-How pumped would you be driving home from work, knowing someplace in your house there's a monkey you're gonna battle?

Kujo
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 11, 2003, 03:34 AM

Originally posted by cSurfr:
Where can I get these blue widgets? I'd personally be happy with brushed metal with the blue widgets. Thanks in advance!

cs
i think swiz pulled them from Max's aqua extreme theme.

cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 11, 2003, 03:37 AM

i think swiz pulled them from Max's aqua extreme theme.
Any idea as to how i can toss these into my current setup? Themechanger perhaps?
-How pumped would you be driving home from work, knowing someplace in your house there's a monkey you're gonna battle?

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2003, 03:22 PM

Ohhh.....Yeah, I did once. But I didn't really play around with it. I just remember it messed up my Camino GUI, so I deleted it after that.

Thanks for the info though. Now I know. . .
Well they updated it since I think, and it's much more well implemented now. You might give it a try again.
click one

Forum Links
Forum Rules