Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Using GuiKits with Theme Changer

Using GuiKits with Theme Changer
york28
Senior User
Nov 21, 2003, 02:49 AM

I'm going to start this off by saying that I love Unsanity products, have purchased several for myself, and think that ShapeShifter is the way of the future. Every single one of you should use it.

Ok.

I'm going on a trip for a week with my iBook, and I need to know that it will work perfectly while I am away from the internet and any kind of recovery technology such as my external hard drives. Also, my computer is slow (500 mhz G3, baby!) and I noticed that SS slowed is down a little. So I decided to not use it this week.

If you want to use a GuiKit with ThemeChanger, for example, here is what you do:

You need to have SS installed, and be running the GuiKit you want to clone.

Open Theme Park, create a new theme, and then choose Elements in the left pane. From the Theme menu, choose Merge with Installed elements.

Then save the theme as a DLTA and drop it in your theme folder.

Turn off SS, log out and then back in.

Open up TC and select the new theme. deselect everything except Extras.rsrc and Finder.rscs. If you don't, I don't know what will happen. Try the preview function to make sure it works. Then go ahead and click apply.

Pray.

With luck new apps will show your sporty new theme. I'm using GuiPod right now because I can't stand those damn blue bubbly things all over my screen, and it's the only theme that's close to Milk that is Panther-able.

Edit: This will not work with any themes that use the new features provided by SS, such as globally setting the text color. So dark themes are a no-go. Thanks for pointing this out swiz and Network Shadow.

I would like to point out that while I think SS is a great idea, it would be a nice gesture if the theme creators would keep TC-compatible themes somewhere where they are hard to find, but still available. There will come a time in the future when SS offers much more than TC, but for now, it is new software and I'd like to have a choice of using it. If not, I understand, since going GuiKit-only makes it harder for people to fsck up their systems.

NOTE: I honestly have no idea what I'm doing, and following these instructions will likely fry your Mac, your girlfriend, and any pets nearby. Take with two grains salt. And if I made a mistake, please reply to avoid unneeded casualties among us.
( Last edited by york28; Nov 21, 2003 at 01:37 PM. )
We need less Democrats and Republicans, and more people that think for themselves.

infinite expanse

mrbiiggy2
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 21, 2003, 02:57 AM

Cool. Thanks

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2003, 12:29 PM

I doubt new themes in the future will work that way, with dark theme for the most part that need white text.
click one

swiz
GUI Punk
Nov 21, 2003, 12:38 PM

Yeah this wont work for themes that use the benefits of SS

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

NicholasX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2003, 09:17 PM

This worked great!

Perfect for someone like me who will only use one theme ever (I'm stuck on platinum).

Thanks again

macintosh007
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 2, 2005, 04:01 PM

wher to get theme park

i mean what is the url

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2005, 04:36 PM

google.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules