Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Equestrian [theme mockup contest]

Equestrian [theme mockup contest]
brn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 27, 2004, 10:55 AM

This morning I submitted my submission to macthemes.net. Now, I feel like showing it to you guys for some response. Also, if there's any big mistake I've done, please tell me!

[from the read me.rtf in my submission]
Ossian Bor�n(Butterfly Reality Network)
My Biography: Swedish 15 year old mac lovin' designer. Been photoshopin' for a few years now, but most of it is for fun, not for money. Guess I'm not good enough to go pro, yet.

Equestrian
Theme Description: I've been trying to make OS 10 themes for a while by now, but ThemePark is just too much to handle, and I usually haven't the time to make the things I want to. But this mockup is one oppurtunity to get something done. It was greatly inspired by my father's sculptures and paintings (he's an artist) and this years May 1st Reboot (may1reboot.com) design.
The name "Equestrian" means "rider" and was chosen because it looks good and fits the kinda robust feeling of the mockup. I wish myself and this mockup good luck!
The menubar

The Aqua window

The brushed metal window

Now go ahead, comment!
( Last edited by brn; Mar 27, 2004 at 11:02 AM. )

Butterfly Reality Network� loves SIRO.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 27, 2004, 11:34 AM

I find the diagonal lines on Apple menu nice

Keifer
Mar 27, 2004, 11:37 AM

My only suggestion would to be to add a "flaver" that makes the arrows and stuff more thick, it could be hard for someone who has bad eyes to see 'em. Other then that, it looks good!
"keyfur"

Holigen
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2004, 12:24 PM

Nice... I like the burgundy color

.: 15" PowerBook G4 - 1.5 GHz - 512 MB RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128 MB VRAM - 80 GB HD @ 5400 rpm :.

mrbiiggy2
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 27, 2004, 02:37 PM

Nice... a new color choice. Don't really like the widgets though.
( Last edited by mrbiiggy2; Mar 27, 2004 at 02:43 PM. )

Cerbero
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 27, 2004, 02:37 PM

Very nice!
I can see this in other colors as well in the future (green comes in mind for some reason ).

RedStar
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 27, 2004, 03:22 PM

Originally posted by Cerbero:
Very nice!
I can see this in other colors as well in the future (green comes in mind for some reason ).
yea, i love the minimal scroll arrows but it would be great to have more color choices at some point.

wil
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 27, 2004, 03:22 PM

This is nice! At first glance I too didn't like the widgets, but once I really looked I decided they are very cool. Good job

mrfrost
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2004, 08:53 PM

I like everything except for the widgets.

Dace
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2004, 08:59 PM

Are we allowed to show our submission?

Data Bytes Computers - Montreal, QC
Ventes & Services / Sales & Services

ARENA
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2004, 09:59 PM

Originally posted by mrfrost:
ditto

phillryu
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2004, 10:00 PM

Hmmm... on one hand, it's totally up to the artist, but this seems like a dangerous precedent to me Soon, we'll have 25 threads on MacNN! Why don't we wait a couple days, and comments will be open for each theme's article

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 27, 2004, 10:13 PM

argh too many 45 degree stripes
MUST CRUSH FADS

phillryu
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2004, 10:29 PM

And for the record, I agree about the widgets. Although I think they look fine in the Aqua window, I think there's too little contrast in the metal windows, and they end up looking more like little distracting dots in a discolored area of the window. I should've emailed this to you, but I've been a bit busy recently . However, it's really a matter of personal opinion. brn, remember you can update it with no problems by Monday midnight.

brn  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 28, 2004, 03:15 AM

that's a nice amount of response there

First of all, big hugs to everyone who liked the theme, I appriciate it But even bigger hugs to those who came up with suggestions on how to make it better some of it I have allready thought of, some I haven't.

To start off with, colour variations is one cool thought, I guess it wouldn't be too hard to do if I happen to win the contest, after the main colour version is done.

Second, the 45� lines just rocks to have in the mix, if you don't like them, sushiism, that's a pity

Third, the widgets are kind of the heart of the theme, for me, they are what reminds me of my father's work in this thing, so they will not be replaced. Also, (something that maybe should have wrote in the theme description) the widgets are all showing the rollover state. When the mouse is not over, there will be a faded (transparent) hexagon/cube instead and on press, there will be a small hexagon/cube in the middle (so it will kind of look like the widget is squeezed into one single cube).

Finally, the thought of making it a more vector-styled fatter theme came up while doing it, however, I guess it would be just too much work to redo the whole mockup with fat things. Sorry all people with less than superb sight.

And sorry for this thread, phill, but it did say that it was up to the artist, if he/she wanted to show up the theme...

brutal
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 28, 2004, 09:03 AM

Originally posted by ARENA:
Originally posted by mrfrost:
ditto
double-ditto.

timdorr
Mar 28, 2004, 01:53 PM

All I've gotta say is that the diagonal lines are like pinstripes that *don't* suck

Good work, and I hope that becomes a real theme
140x40? 4 lines of text? o_O?
Man, those are some strict sig guidelines.

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 28, 2004, 02:52 PM

Originally posted by phillryu:
Hmmm... on one hand, it's totally up to the artist, but this seems like a dangerous precedent to me Soon, we'll have 25 threads on MacNN! Why don't we wait a couple days, and comments will be open for each theme's article
Definitely... next time you do the contest, you should make a rule that all contest entries need to be kept secret until they are all revealed and voted on.

idle
Forum Regular
Mar 28, 2004, 02:58 PM

Originally posted by codywalton:
Definitely... next time you do the contest, you should make a rule that all contest entries need to be kept secret until they are all revealed and voted on.
nah. i think its ok. but maybe a "official mockup theme contest" thread would help to keep things clean? my two scents anyhow.

[ idle. ]

rhythmicmoose
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 28, 2004, 04:09 PM

Originally posted by idle:
nah. i think its ok. but maybe a "official mockup theme contest" thread would help to keep things clean? my two scents anyhow.

[ idle. ]
That thread would get way out of hand, with new mockups popping up, and then responses, then someone else's mockup, then responses, then updates of some mockup 53 pages before and responses to that...

I think next year there should definitely be a no-posting rule. At the very least, mockup makers should not be allowed to change their mockup after they've posted it (if they choose to do so). It would be unfair to allow posted mockups to be fine-tuned, as I think a more "perfected" theme would probably grab more votes than the same theme less polished.

But I don't really know. We'll see how it goes. Depending on how the discussions in the MacThemes comments go, it might not make any difference.

And please don't take this post personally. I was about an inch away from posting mine. Sitting on a secret can be tough.

idle
Forum Regular
Mar 28, 2004, 04:28 PM

And please don't take this post personally. I was about an inch away from posting mine. Sitting on a secret can be tough. [/B]
nah. i perfectly know what you mean. i'm sitting on a burner here and dude, i'm really nervous.

[idle.]

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 28, 2004, 07:13 PM

Originally posted by brn:

Second, the 45� lines just rocks to have in the mix, if you don't like them, sushiism, that's a pity
Not that I don't like them they're just a great big cliche at the minute, you know like arrows, silkscreen, helvetica black with low kerning, cooper black, etc. They'll make the whole thing look extremely dated in a few weeks, well it already looks extremely dated cos they were last years fad

mrfrost
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2004, 07:33 PM

Originally posted by brn:

Third, the widgets are kind of the heart of the theme, for me, they are what reminds me of my father's work in this thing, so they will not be replaced.
Too bad. I really like the theme but I won't be using it with those widgets. Maybe you could make a couple of different versions?

phillryu
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2004, 08:02 PM

Originally posted by rhythmicmoose:
I think next year there should definitely be a no-posting rule.
Who says there'll be a contest next year? Nah, let me take the time to say here, the contest was such a success, I am definitely planning one for next year, and perhaps smaller contests throughout the year. Thanks everyone for entering, keeping up the interest, sponsoring, donating their time, etc.!

Keifer
Mar 28, 2004, 11:34 PM

Ooo! More conests! A contest on widget's (for konfabulator) would be cool- you could specify a finder theme, and then it's up to them to come up with a mock widget that fits in the best, and then the top six winners get their widget coded! I'd be willing to code one of the widgets for that!

sorry, got kinda off topic- just seemed like a cool idea.
( Last edited by Keifer; Mar 29, 2004 at 12:12 AM. )
"keyfur"

rhythmicmoose
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 29, 2004, 12:02 AM

Originally posted by phillryu:
Who says there'll be a contest next year? Nah, let me take the time to say here, the contest was such a success, I am definitely planning one for next year, and perhaps smaller contests throughout the year. Thanks everyone for entering, keeping up the interest, sponsoring, donating their time, etc.!
Woohoo! That's awesome. But the real thanks goes to you, for all the time you've donated in running the site, organizing the contest with all of the companies and themers, etc. Balancing hobbies with the rest of life is always difficult, but what you've done for this community is simply astounding. Thank you.

(Sorry for supporting the off-topicness).

Chris Grande
Senior User
Mar 29, 2004, 12:09 AM

I would have to agree with everyone on the widgets, the seem to break the angles of the theme, them being round and all.

Also this seems like it would lend itself to color variations very nicely.

AWShuttleworth
Apr 5, 2004, 08:58 AM

I'm sorry this theme didn't win; it may have been my favourite in the contest.

You mentioned looking for someone to complete this, BRN; I've never made a complete theme before, but I'd love to give it a shot with this one, if you'd let me....

But then again, I'm sure you could find someone more experienced to do it, and that would probably be best for everyone....
Hi. Nice to see you. You look lovely.

phillryu
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2004, 09:09 AM

Originally posted by Keifer:
Ooo! More conests! A contest on widget's (for konfabulator) would be cool- you could specify a finder theme, and then it's up to them to come up with a mock widget that fits in the best, and then the top six winners get their widget coded! I'd be willing to code one of the widgets for that!

sorry, got kinda off topic- just seemed like a cool idea.
Keifer, I was actually thinking about that. We'll see what happens

mac15
Senior User
Apr 5, 2004, 09:44 AM

Phill don't go stealing my idea now

brn  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 5, 2004, 01:37 PM

Originally posted by AWShuttleworth:
I'm sorry this theme didn't win; it may have been my favourite in the contest.

You mentioned looking for someone to complete this, BRN; I've never made a complete theme before, but I'd love to give it a shot with this one, if you'd let me....

But then again, I'm sure you could find someone more experienced to do it, and that would probably be best for everyone....
Sure, give it a try! I allready have someone I know who wants to try making a Windows version. Contact me on AIM about this time on FRIDAY (i'll be long away from the nearest computer for a till late thursday, so I'm not avaible until then) and I'll send you the psd

kovacs
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2004, 03:11 PM

Very nice and usable theme with a really interesting color combination...

I say go for it AWShuttleworth

Forum Links
Forum Rules