Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MAJOR problems on my macbook pro!!!!

MAJOR problems on my macbook pro!!!!
Tiny-E
Forum Regular
Oct 15, 2007, 09:21 PM

HELP!!!

I have a 2.16 GHz Macbook pro bought in December and I installed an extra 1 gig into it a few months ago.

I'm having major issues now with my computer! Here are some examples:
EFI Firmware Update quits unexpectedly on bootup
Firefox quite unexpectedly
Some programs fail to open when clicked on (bounce in the dock a few times, then stops)
Battery lasts 10 minutes when unplugged, then the computer just shuts off (doesn’t go to sleep, just shuts off)

The computer will freeze, a darkened screen comes scrolling down telling me to restart the computer by holding down the power button.

And just a few minutes ago, I was on ichat, which crashed, then I couldn't reopen Ichat so when I went to press the power switch, the screen went blue, then my screen kept flashing on and off! Had to hold down the power switch to manually power off my computer!

What is going on?!?!

ibook_steve
Oct 15, 2007, 09:52 PM

First try taking out the new RAM. Then reset the SMU (search Apple support) and PRAM. Let us know what happens.

If you indeed crashed during the EFI update, you could have some serious problems. You might need to take it to an Apple store.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Tiny-E  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 15, 2007, 11:22 PM

thanks for the advice.
I've taken out the extra RAM and reset the smc and pram.

I unplugged my computer to see how long it could go and it lasted about 15 minutes before shutting down. The fan came out pretty loudly for a few minutes before the shutdown.

And when I plugged the adaptor back in and restarted my computer, it stated that EFI Firmware Update quits unexpectedly and gave me the option of trying again, which I did, and got the same response.

What does this all mean?

Cold Warrior
Oct 15, 2007, 11:28 PM

you could download the firmware disc from apple and apply it. Then try to re-apply the EFI firmware.

amazing
Professional Poster
Oct 16, 2007, 12:13 AM

sounds like you've got a bad battery, which is a totally separate problem from your other problems. Apple will replace that, no questions asked. Just give them a call.

Meantime, the other stuff indicates that you'd better have a good backup of all your data. asap. Backup right away, if you haven't already!

Tiny-E  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 16, 2007, 04:44 PM

Okay, I backed up important files onto my external harddrive (lacie firewire). and downloaded the firmware restoration cd 1.4. But when I go to open and run the firmware, there isn't any .pkg file, there's only a license and readme folder as well as a bunch of .fd files.

And now, I tried to plug my external harddrive and my computer now states that the disk I inserted is not readable by my computer! (I tried restarting my computer, but the same thing).
Also, EFI firmware still is quitting on restart.

Starting to freak out here...My apple warranty lasts a year right? Do I just call them or do i bring my computer to an authorised dealer? (in Australia atm, no "apple" stores here).

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Oct 16, 2007, 04:49 PM

I'm pretty sure that if you read the Readme file it will tell you what to do...

Tiny-E  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 19, 2007, 04:27 AM

The readme file just sends me a link to the apple website, which tells me to open the pkg file (which doesn't seem to exist).

Also, anyone know why my external harddrive isn't recognised by my comptuer now??? It says "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer" and gives me the options: initialize..., Ignore, Eject.

This harddrive has always worked until just after I took out the 2nd gig of ram and reset my smc and pram...

ibook_steve
Oct 19, 2007, 10:50 AM

Did you really read the instructions?

Apple - Support - Downloads - Firmware Restoration CD 1.4

Fix your firmware before you worry about an external drive. You've got bigger problems than that.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

scaredpoet
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 20, 2007, 12:06 PM

[QUOTE=Tiny-E;3506644

Starting to freak out here...My apple warranty lasts a year right? Do I just call them or do i bring my computer to an authorised dealer? (in Australia atm, no "apple" stores here).[/QUOTE]

Yes, your waranty lasts 1 year. You can either call Apple or go to an authorized dealer, it's your choice.

Also, if you plan on keeping that MBP for a while, i would strongly recommend buying Applecare. You can get it as long as it's still under warranty.

Forum Links
Forum Rules