Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Digital Cable Boxes & ethernet

Digital Cable Boxes & ethernet
toobiloo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 18, 2003, 02:12 AM

I have a G4 400 running 10.2.3. I got digital cable awhile back and my question is this: The cable box I got from my provider (a Scietific-Atlantic 3100 w/ethernet) has an ethernet lug. Can I plug this into my computer and capture video? ( A laymans question any help would be appreciated.) -Tobias

tr
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2003, 05:27 AM

nah...doubt it. i don't think the video signal is going through to that ethernet connection.

from some page i found:

Explorer 2100 and 3100 supports analog and digital TV; on demand video and audio; e-mail, HTML content, chat and e-commerce over television. The STB is a duplex IP connected device.

Explorer 4100 supports the following additional items: IP home networking, wireless home networks, and Ethernet in the home. This includes routing and bridging in the home.
i bet that ethernet port could be used for simple stuff like mentioned above. like VOD and web on TV crap.

plus, the cable company would never make it that easy for you to get to their digital signal, now would they?
hell, if you look at the specs of the box, it has macrovision, to prevent taping PPV or VOD programs.

http://www.sciatl.com/customers/subs...dfs/740313.pdf

http://www.sciatl.com/customers/subs...dfs/740316.pdf

(don't know which one you have, but they have about the same specs)

tr

toobiloo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 18, 2003, 08:48 AM

Yeah I figured it couldn't be that simple. Thanks for the info. That means I'd need to buy more hardware (like eyetv) to capture TV, right. I know that is covered more elsewhere in the forum. -Tobias

tr
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2003, 02:52 PM

Originally posted by toobiloo:
Yeah I figured it couldn't be that simple. Thanks for the info. That means I'd need to buy more hardware (like eyetv) to capture TV, right. I know that is covered more elsewhere in the forum. -Tobias

if you're are looking for TiVo like features, then i would say EyeTV would be the way to go.

last month, i purchased an ADS Instant DVD for Mac box. it doesn't have TiVo features (like automatically recording stuff), but what it does is captures a video signal, and converts it in real time to mpeg-1 or mpeg-2 via hardware, then transfers the video to your HD by usb. i've been really impressed with it's capture quality. the mpeg-2 files look great, even at the low 4MB/s rate.

you can then edit the mpeg-2 files, and assemble a DVD disc with their software (sort of like iDVD, only with much stranger themes ), and burn it. and their software allows burning to DVD recorders that aren't on the IDE, so FW drive owners can use this.

it's a fast way to get content onto DVD. you don't have to wait for your mac to encode into mpeg2 (which takes forever on my G4 450).
i've been archiving some tv shows the past couple weeks. all i can say is, i'm addicted!

tr

Forum Links
Forum Rules