Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Terminal vs. X11(xterm)

Terminal vs. X11(xterm)
aquaclear
Forum Regular
Jan 22, 2003, 04:11 PM

I recently installed X11 from apple and installed fink. Everything seems to be fine until I tried to fink install gimp and fink install vim. The problem seems to be in getting system-xfree86 installed. I tried to install it via fink but came up with error to install. Does anyone know why?

On a different note. Is there a difference between the terminal supplied by apple and what appears to be xterm supplied by the X11 download. Maybe in relation to my above question, do I need to do the fink installs from the xterm terminal vs. the terminal supplied by the default apple terminal? I am at work so I will have to try this when i get home unless someone can tell me otherwise. BTW fink rocks!

Paul McCann
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 22, 2003, 08:15 PM

Funny you should mention terminal and vim in the same post: I was going mad with poor terminal-based vim performance using terminal.app (ie the aqua thing), and had recompiled vim on our solaris server here and all sorts of nonsense. (Had I a brain I would have tried it on something other than an OS X machine and seen that it worked a treat...) Anyway, I also used fink to install vim on my own OS X machine and to my horror noticed that the performance was similarly disgusting: deleting a line would cause the spinning whatever-the-hell-it-is to do its dance for several seconds. Subsequent "." commands to repeat the deletion with further lines led to similar delays. Yech!

Seems there's just something incredibly funky about the way that terminal.app interacts with vim: *any* vim, not just a local one. I thought it must be a curses thing (terminal.app slows noticably upon the presence of colour in your output), but applications like mutt swing along very nicely with colours.

In any case, upon switching to the xterm that came with Apple's X11 set-up everything was as it should be. Eterm is even better. Sad to have to run an X-server to use vim remotely, but currently that's how it is.

Cheers,
Paul

Tritium
Jan 22, 2003, 09:17 PM

Are you receiving an error message about having xtools installed instead of xfree86? I just got past the same stupid error, I had to unpack the package and look at the preconf script to figure out what was killing it. (I had to do it on a linux box too, does anyone know what fink package has ar?)

sudo mv /usr/X11R6/lib/tenon /tenontmp
sudo apt-get install system-xfree86
sudo mv /tenontmp /usr/X11R6/lib

that should get it working, then sudo dpkg --configure --pending should fix whatever packages weren't configured because of the error.

There shouldn't be any difference between running fink in Terminal or in an xterm, and there isn't much difference at face value between the two. Since Terminal is a cocoa app it probably looks nicer, but I guarantee that xterm has better terminal emulation. Terminal has a much better scrollback buffer. Pick your poison, I guess

Adam

aquaclear  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 22, 2003, 11:30 PM

Originally posted by Tritium:
Are you receiving an error message about having xtools installed instead of xfree86? I just got past the same stupid error, I had to unpack the package and look at the preconf script to figure out what was killing it. (I had to do it on a linux box too, does anyone know what fink package has ar?)

sudo mv /usr/X11R6/lib/tenon /tenontmp
sudo apt-get install system-xfree86
sudo mv /tenontmp /usr/X11R6/lib

that should get it working, then sudo dpkg --configure --pending should fix whatever packages weren't configured because of the error.

There shouldn't be any difference between running fink in Terminal or in an xterm, and there isn't much difference at face value between the two. Since Terminal is a cocoa app it probably looks nicer, but I guarantee that xterm has better terminal emulation. Terminal has a much better scrollback buffer. Pick your poison, I guess

Adam
I dunno if it is the xtools or not. All I know is if I try to install either gimp or vim then it saids I need the system-xfree86 package. When it tries to install the system-xfree86 package it saids it is not able to install. Should I remove the X11 apple package and install system-xfree86 and then reinstall X11? It seems like it should not be this difficult.

Tritium
Jan 22, 2003, 11:36 PM

You can't install system-xfree86 without having an X server installed, leave apple's X11 installed and try what I posted above. I bet it'll work.

toobiloo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2003, 10:18 AM

This is from a complete newbie, but I've read else were that Aplles X11 SDK needs to be installed in order to install system-xfree86, or an error occurs. Maybe that is all?

Forum Links
Forum Rules