Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > IS AOL v10.3 being updated?

IS AOL v10.3 being updated?
pendragon
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 26, 2004, 04:59 PM

I am using AOL v10.3 (only for email) and am generally quite happy with it. But it is now becoming a bit old.

Does anyone know if a new version is in the works, and if so, what the status/beta testing or target release date may be?
Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.10.3), iPhone 5 (iOS 8.3)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

drainyoo
Senior User
Sep 26, 2004, 05:14 PM

if you are using it just for email then why not setup your Mail app to check your AOL account?
i hate project managers.

pendragon  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 26, 2004, 07:15 PM

"If you are using it just for email then why not setup your Mail app to check your AOL account?"

I thought about doing that, but I was just curious to know if AOL is still supporting Macs, or if they have forgotten them what first brought em to the dance.
Harv
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

drainyoo
Senior User
Sep 26, 2004, 08:13 PM

Originally posted by pendragon:
"If you are using it just for email then why not setup your Mail app to check your AOL account?"

I thought about doing that, but I was just curious to know if AOL is still supporting Macs, or if they have forgotten them what first brought em to the dance.
I dont think AOL cares about the Mac platform.
i hate project managers.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Sep 26, 2004, 09:34 PM

AOL seems to be in a state where they don't know what to do about the Mac. According to the ever-reliable rumor mill, projects for updated or even completely new clients have been started and then scuttled several times over the past few years.

For now, my recommendation is to use the Mac version of AOL Communicator. For the time being it's their latest major release, and it works quite well. It's not the client experience you're used to, but if you don't use the chat rooms or channels much I think you'll appreciate it.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

jfinete
Forum Regular
Sep 27, 2004, 07:07 PM

If you sign up for AOL's MacBeta program, you can find out about new features a few months before everyone else. Right now, it seems they're working on a version of the AOL client that works with AOL'S DSL service.

Montanan
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 27, 2004, 10:04 PM

Well, the only thing in AOL's Mac beta area right now is something called "AOL Connect," which is billed as a way for Mac users to connect to the AOL dial-up and broadband networks without using the client software. Users of AOL Connect would then use their own e-mail and web browser software, rather than those provided by AOL.

Partly because of this, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if AOL discontinued development of client software for the Mac, with the claim that something like AOL Connect is a valid substitute.

jfinete
Forum Regular
Sep 28, 2004, 12:01 AM

Montanan, I think you may be right. I only skimmed the MacBeta email announcement, so I probably misunderstood what AOL Connect was.

pendragon  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 28, 2004, 05:07 AM

Montanan, Seems like well founded insight to me. Your views are most appreciated.

Many thanks!
Harv

Montanan
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 28, 2004, 12:16 PM

You know, thinking about it a bit more ... it seems likely that web browser issues were probably the final nail in the coffin for AOL's Mac client software. Now that AOL has essentially given up on the Netscape browser and committed itself to IE, it probably seems way too complicated and costly for them to update their client software on a platform that no longer has an actively-updated version of IE available.

Not that most of us will miss either IE or AOL too much ...

Forte
Forum Regular
Sep 28, 2004, 12:54 PM

Well, the only thing in AOL's Mac beta area right now is something called "AOL Connect," which is billed as a way for Mac users to connect to the AOL dial-up and broadband networks without using the client software. Users of AOL Connect would then use their own e-mail and web browser software, rather than those provided by AOL.
I wonder if AOL UK will support this? They dropped all OS X support back in 2002 (subscribers to their broadband services can't even connect if they use a Macintosh)... >.>;;;

Forum Links
Forum Rules