Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Which VOIP?

Which VOIP?
toobiloo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 13, 2006, 09:36 PM

Ok I've decide to give VOIP a go to rid myself of Verizon, also it was part of my justification for getting a broadband connection. So which company should I go with? Vonage, Packet8 or SunRocket? Every time I think I've made a descision, I read something that steers me toward another company. BTW, I'm in MA, and they all say they are available here.

bboisvert
Mar 13, 2006, 09:37 PM

I really like Vonage, not a single issue with them. It really depends on your internet more then who thr VoIP is

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Mar 13, 2006, 09:46 PM

Vonage. Seems to be troublefree. Good quality and reliable.

macintologist
Professional Poster
Mar 14, 2006, 12:26 AM

Idon't understand why people pay for this stuff.

Why not just use Skype, iChat and Skypeout?

Skypeout you pay 2.1 US cents a minute to most 1st world countries in the world. What are the VOIP rates?

macintologist
Professional Poster
Mar 14, 2006, 12:32 AM

With the Vontage basic 500 plan, you get 500 minutes for 14.99 a month. That means you pay 2.9 cents a minute, PREPAID may I remind you, PER MONTH, and only to US and canada

With Skypeout you buy credit whenever it is convenient for you, and the rate is 2.1 cents a minute to these destinations:

To some of the most popular destinations, we have one unified rate, which we call the SkypeOut Global Rate:

Argentina (Buenos Aires), Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Canada (mobiles), Chile, China (Beijing, Guanzhou, Shanghai, Shenzhen), China (mobiles), Denmark, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hong Kong (mobiles), Ireland, Italy, Mexico (Mexico City, Monterrey), Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland (Poland, Gdansk, Warsaw), Portugal, Russia (Moscow, St. Petersburg), Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan (Taipei), United Kingdom, United States (except Alaska and Hawaii) and United States (mobiles).

Unless it is specifically mentioned, the SkypeOut Global Rate is only for calling regular landline telephones. Calls to mobile phones are more expensive.

€ 0.017 is approximately the same as $ 0.021 or £ 0.012.
Why the hell are you going to waste your money with yet another shitty telecommunications company called Vonage?! They are still artificially jacking the prices above what they should be at market price.

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Mar 14, 2006, 01:41 AM

I use Vonage. It sucks. I get at least one dropped call a day and the sound quality is awful sometimes. Sometimes a call will get so choppy that I'll have to hang up and call the person back.

baw
Mac Elite
Mar 14, 2006, 03:13 AM

I just got Earthlink TrueVoice. Seems ok so far.

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Mar 14, 2006, 04:02 AM

A buddy of mine had Packet8, but he hated it and has now swicthed to Vonage just recently.

Skype is a nice option, but a regular phone for that thing costs a buttload. Bring the accessory prices down and more people would use it.

Super Mario
Mar 14, 2006, 05:35 AM

Another twelenty votes for Skype. Plus if someone else has it you call each other for free. You can buy USB phones that work with Skype from $29, some are also wireless.

baw
Mac Elite
Mar 14, 2006, 05:53 AM

Josh Reid
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 14, 2006, 12:25 PM

I use Vonage and love it. I have it hooked up to an $11 regular phone from Amazon, and I use the $14.99 plan. I rarely go over my 500 minutes. They also offer an unlimited plan for $24.99, but I've never gone that high even when I DO go over my 500 minutes. I never call Canada, let alone truly internationally. I live in NYC, but am originally from Pennsylvania. I was able to set up my Vonage with a 412 number so that friends & family back there can call a local number to reach me. It also dual-rings my NYC cell phone, so I can be reached anywhere using two different area codes...can't get much better than that. I've had almost zero problems, and the one I did have was resolved quickly and at no cost to me. As said before, probably 90% of problems with Vonage are due to problems with your ISP and/or low bandwith.

Maybe I'm missing something with Skype, but what's so great about a phone that you have to use solely on your computer? My Vonage acts completely as a normal phone, except it comes with pretty much EVERY SINGLE additional feature that you could ever imagine, for free. 3-Way, Voicemail, Caller ID, Call Waiting, Call Forwarding, Dual-Ringing, Area Code Selection, Call Transfer, Call Return, Repeat Dialing, Ring Lists, Call Hunt...I highly recommend it.

Super Mario
Mar 14, 2006, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Reid
3-Way, Voicemail, Caller ID, Call Waiting, Call Forwarding, Area Code Selection, Call Return, Repeat Dialing, Ring Lists
Skype has all the above features plus video and text chat. Free calls to Skype users. Cheaper calls than Vonage to landlines and cheaper international rates. The mic on my Mac is good enough for me to walk around the room and talk without holding a phone. And Skype works on the road. Vonage also has a software phone btw.
( Last edited by Super Mario; Jan 10, 2018 at 04:12 PM. )

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Mar 14, 2006, 12:40 PM

Why don't you just get a regular landline that is absolutely 100% reliable and probably cheaper or the same price ?

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

Josh Reid
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 14, 2006, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Goldfinger
Why don't you just get a regular landline that is absolutely 100% reliable and probably cheaper or the same price ?

A Verizon landline in Manhattan would have run around $60 per month, been a 212 number, and not offer nearly any of the features I needed.

only120xs
Mar 14, 2006, 01:29 PM

Or skip the land line and just use your cell phone?

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Mar 14, 2006, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Reid
A Verizon landline in Manhattan would have run around $60 per month, been a 212 number, and not offer nearly any of the features I needed.
Well then you're being absolutely screwed in prices over there . We got all those features here.

No idea what a 212 number is, or why it's bad.

Originally Posted by only120xs
Or skip the land line and just use your cell phone?
Nah, I don't like the idea of only having a cell phone.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

I Bent My Wookiee
Mac Elite
Mar 14, 2006, 02:10 PM

"Barwaraaawww"

Josh Reid
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 14, 2006, 02:17 PM

No idea what a 212 number is, or why it's bad.
212 is the local NYC area code. I already have a cell phone with 917, another NYC area code. When friends & family call me from my hometown, they would then have to pay long distance. (It's surprising how many people don't have unlimited nationwide coverage.) By going with Vonage, I was able to choose any area code I wanted, so I chose a phone number using the local area code from my hometown, which is 412. Therefore, they just pay for what to them is a local call, but they reach me in Manhattan. I also have the Vonage set up to dual-ring the house phone and my cell phone, so I can be reached anywhere by someone in 412 or 212/917/646 only paying for a local call. It's like I have dual-number-citizenship in PA and NYC.

Laurence
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 14, 2006, 11:13 PM

I use Packet 8 and since upgrading my cable connection to 768 up it works perfectly. When I had the standard 6000/384 connection it would be choppy and delayed if I was doing something else on the computer. For some reason with the 8000/768 connection even if I have some torrents running in the background the phone service is perfect.

I like the fact that if anyone leaves a message it is automatically forwarded to my email as a .wav file attachment. This means that I don't need to call in to check messages. (Although that is available as well)
--Laurence

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 2, 2006, 12:07 AM

Viatalk offers a promotion for new customers.

$ 199 for TWO !!! years unlimited calling to US and Canada.
That's $ 8.29 per month. Can't beat that.

Broadband Phone by ViaTalk - Broadband Phone Service Sign Up

Edit: You mileage may vary. I am having troubles signing up.

-t

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2006, 02:33 PM

Another vote for Skype. What ever you do don't use Lingo (if they are still in business).

alligator
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2006, 05:10 PM

Anyone remember dialpad? I used this back circa 1998 and it worked well then. Nobody noticed. Then Skype comes along a few years ago and everyone thinks it's wonderful.

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2006, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by alligator
Anyone remember dialpad? I used this back circa 1998 and it worked well then. Nobody noticed. Then Skype comes along a few years ago and everyone thinks it's wonderful.
Yep, I used it and it was great while it was free. It was ahead of it's time, but skype differs from dialpad in a few ways that make it better. Skype still isn't the big hit it could be. I would have used Gizmoproject, but they don't yet offer local area codes for my city.

Lava Lamp Freak
Sep 2, 2006, 07:47 PM

SkypeOut is free through the end of the year. Why hasn't anyone mentioned this?

alligator
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2006, 07:53 PM

I'm interested in a non-computer Skype phone. I'm not sure what I'd use it for with a land line, but it is a cool concept. Maybe as a second phone.

Obi Wan's Ghost
Baninated
Sep 3, 2006, 03:11 AM

Most of them are shiz. There's many Skype phones if you don't want to talk to your mic.

Forum Links
Forum Rules