Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Bootcamp or Parallels?

Bootcamp or Parallels?
jeronimo
Dedicated MacNNer
May 14, 2008, 01:51 PM

Hello there,

I have a macbook running 10.4.10 without Bootcamp installed.

I need to run a few stock applications that are only avaliable for windows, and homebrokers here in brazil (Java Based) are not running as they should with my mac.

So, I'm thinking about using Parallels instead of Bootcamp:

1st - because bootcamp beta won't install on my machine anymore... and I'm not planning to move to 10.5

2nd - I don't want to partition my HD. do I need to partition when using parallels?

Thanks!
Think Diferente!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 14, 2008, 01:56 PM

Parallels doesn't require partitioning.

Also, have a look at VMWare Fusion. The new Fusion 2 is in public Beta right now, and will hopefully be released soon.

-t

@pplejaxkz
Senior User
May 14, 2008, 02:53 PM

If you're only planning on using a few Windows based applications then I would go with a virtual environment. But if you're going to be using a lot of applications and do a little gaming I would go with Bootcamp. It sounds like you might want to stick with a virtual environment. I personally have only used Parallels and have found it to be pretty nice. But there are threads here that have a debate between virtualization applications. Good luck!

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
May 14, 2008, 03:27 PM

If you need performance, Bootcamp. If you need ease of access and a smaller hard-disk footprint, go for VMWare Fusion.

ps: Parallels may have been first to market and able to associate the Apple-consumer love affair with itself, but VMWare has the better product.

ibook_steve
May 14, 2008, 04:37 PM

Remember, this person is still at 10.4. They can't use Boot Camp. Is there any reason why you don't want to move to Leopard? Then you can use Boot Camp and then use Parallels virtualization with the Boot Camp partition.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

jeronimo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 14, 2008, 05:17 PM

I don't want to go 10.5 because my system is working great right now. I use my macbook as my main DAW and I don't want to mess with it.
I'll take a look at VMWare!
Thanks a lot!
Think Diferente!

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 14, 2008, 06:57 PM

Find BootCamp Beta on the internet, set your clock back, and use it.

Or shell out for Parallels/VMware.

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2008, 09:46 AM

Parallels is a great product. I don't want to detract from Fusion (I've never used it), but Parallels works great and is fast too. My wife has a fairly new AMD CPU laptop running XP and it's slower than my Mac Pro running parallels by a good bit.

dustrho
Forum Regular
Jun 2, 2008, 10:28 AM

I've been using Parallels for about six months now and I love it. I'm running two VMs on it, Windows XP Professional and Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron. They both run fast as hell on there, even when they're both running at the same time. Great, great product that Parallels is.

I have not tried VMWare's product yet, but perhaps I'll give it a test drive just to see how well it works in comparison to Parallels.

Chris Rhoads / Forum Admin & Webmaster of Sandtroopers.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules