Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Going to Chicago- Advice on getting around the city

Going to Chicago- Advice on getting around the city
coreythemagnificent46
Steven Landon
Marketplace Fame
Jun 22, 2008, 08:17 AM

So this upcoming weekend a friend an I are going down to new buffalo MI to camp and figured since chicago is only 80 more miles why not check it out.. Im sure theres some people on this board from there or have experience with the city.. We are just driving over for the day.. Planning on leaving the campsite around 6 am and spending the day there

Any really good places to eat there.. Im anxious to try a chicago style pizza

Mainly theres one place I want to visit. The Apple Store in Downtown.

So whats the tricks to driving around and parking in that city.. is it as horrendus as everyone says.

dustrho
Forum Regular
Jun 22, 2008, 12:03 PM

The Apple store is located on Michigan Ave just north of the Chicago river. If you like oriental food there's a place nearby called Big Bowl that is OUTSTANDING! If you like steak there's Lawry's, but for pizza I've always liked Giordano's pizza.

Driving and parking is a nightmare in Chicago, and will be expensive as hell for you too. Best way to do things is (if possible) take a train into the city from the burbs (depending on where you're staying at), and then either walking your way around the city or taking a taxi. And don't fill your gas tank up in the city, because it's MUCH MORE than in the burbs.

The Apple store is kick ass there. Have a great time!

Chris Rhoads / Forum Admin & Webmaster of Sandtroopers.com

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 22, 2008, 03:05 PM

What ever you do, don't eat the hot dogs! (j/k)

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Jun 22, 2008, 03:06 PM

Yeah, the CTA system is pretty sweet. They have it hooked up with google maps now so you can plan your routes.

Chicago Transit Authority | 1-888-YOURCTA

I'd suggest Gino's East for pizza:

Gino's East - Chicago, IL, 60610 - Citysearch

Heavy Fluid
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 22, 2008, 03:10 PM

Giordano's Pizza is ok, I personally prefer Gino's. If you are coming into the city on a Sunday, you might find some free parking on the street, but don't count on it. Parking is expensive, and the gas is outrageous, so you are better off parking in a suburb and taking public transportation.

The Apple store is very cool, has two floors IIRC. There are a lot of cool shops and restaurants right in that area, including Gino's. It is not far, definitely walking distance. Make sure you stop in at Garrett's for some fresh popcorn. Gourmet Popcorn & Corporate Gifts - Popcorn & Corporate Gifts by Garrett Gourmet Popcorn Shops

Gino's restaurant locations: Gino's East
If you want deep dish Chicago style pizza, be prepared to wait about 40-45 minutes, that is how long it takes.
In a barrier free world, who needs Windows™ and Gates?

Heavy Fluid
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 22, 2008, 03:11 PM

Ghoser beat me to the punch. I took a hot minute typing that out, actually about 3 minutes.
In a barrier free world, who needs Windows™ and Gates?

Lava Lamp Freak
Jun 22, 2008, 03:32 PM

I visited Chicago last summer and loved it. The public transportation there is awesome. I used it and walked everywhere. Gino's was wonderful pizza, very different than anything I'd ever had before.

If you plan to visit any of the attractions, check out CityPass and you will save a little money. I visited everything except for the Aquarium.
CityPass : Visit 5 Chicago attractions for just $59, a $115 value!

Also, you can find helpful information at City-data.com's forums.
Chicago Forum - Relocation, Moving, Local City Discussions - City-Data Forum

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 22, 2008, 03:51 PM

If you're into art or natural history, The Art Institute and the Field Museum are both world class museums in their respective disciplines.

For deep dish I'd go to Lou Malnati's on Wells and Hubbard. Be sure to order yours with "buttercrust". Personally, I think Gino's prime was 20 years ago, and Giordano's has only ever worked in a pinch.

One possibility is to check out the Hancock observatory. The Sears Tower observatory is obviously higher, but I've always liked the Hancock's better because you have a great view of the lake on one side and can see the Sears Tower on the other. To me it just isn't Chicago if you can't see the ST.

Likewise, they have a bar on the top floor of the Hancock. Not a cheap way to get loaded, but one with an excellent view.

@pplejaxkz
Senior User
Jun 22, 2008, 07:39 PM

The public transportation is pretty good. I like taking the Redline, Blue line etc. Here is a great website that you put in your starting and ending address and it will tell you exactly what to take.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 22, 2008, 07:44 PM

Use public transportation. If you do decide to drive, don't fool around. You'll have to be fairly aggressive to get in lanes, parking spaces, etc.

@pplejaxkz
Senior User
Jun 22, 2008, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Use public transportation. If you do decide to drive, don't fool around. You'll have to be fairly aggressive to get in lanes, parking spaces, etc.
Very very true. It is a city, and people drive extremely aggressive. You have to be, so be careful.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Jun 22, 2008, 09:08 PM

If you are so set on public transportation: Drive to Michigan City, IN and leave your car there. Take the South Shore electric train line into the city. It will leave you at Millennium Station (as in under the park) which is walking distance from the Michigan Ave Apple store. It will prob be cheaper to take the train compared to the cost of parking and gas

Also within walking distance: Pizzeria Due - Chicago, IL, 60611-2713 - Citysearch

Connies is under rated but its nowhere close to walking distance although you could take the Orange Line to it.

Originally Posted by coreythemagnificent46 View Post
So whats the tricks to driving around and parking in that city.. is it as horrendus as everyone says.
No. Suburbanites and transplants are just wussies.
( Last edited by Captain Obvious; Jun 22, 2008 at 09:19 PM. )

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 22, 2008, 10:11 PM

Isn't it free museum day on Tuesday or something?

dustrho
Forum Regular
Jun 22, 2008, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by scaught View Post
Isn't it free museum day on Tuesday or something?
Yes, but with it being summer it will be CRAZY busy there.

Chris Rhoads / Forum Admin & Webmaster of Sandtroopers.com

SeSawaya
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2008, 08:09 AM

I'll be performing on the street corner in New Buffalo from 7-9 local time. (city pays me to)

Come on out if you're in town.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2008, 09:22 AM

If you want a rickey939 autograph, come on out to the 'burbs.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 23, 2008, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
If you are so set on public transportation: Drive to Michigan City, IN and leave your car there. Take the South Shore electric train line into the city.

This is an excellent idea. I second it.

Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post

This is closer than Lou Malnati's, but I'd go the slight bit out of the way to go to Lou's (who used to work at Due's and then opened his own joint).

I obviously have a personal preference. A more objective assessment would be that Lou's is heavier than Due's, if that sort of thing can help you decide.

Also, depending on the time, it's likely easier to get a seat at Lou's. Less suburbanite traffic. There are LMs in the suburbs, so there's no reason to get it in the city.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2008, 09:52 PM

Being stuck in traffic on LSD last night reminded me of something...

He said he is coming in this weekend? The Taste will be on already.
There's no need for a tourist to wander around looking for food when its all been pooled together in a couple square blocks. Just plan out what you want to eat: Taste of Chicago

This also makes taking the South Shore train almost necessary rather than just a good idea.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 23, 2008, 10:04 PM

Another excellent point.

macfantn
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2008, 10:47 PM

Pizzeria Due On Michigan Ave is excellent prolly 2 hour wait on the weekends but worth it, Unos is good too, the Shedd Aquarium is cool, and the field museum is interesting although can be a bit boring. Navy Pier is always fun to walk around at night.
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later"

Forum Links
Forum Rules