Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > How to Stop Safari from Auto-Playing Media

How to Stop Safari from Auto-Playing Media
gradient
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2011, 01:30 PM

I've done a number of web searches to find the answer to this question but, to my surprise, I haven't found much of anything referring to this issue.

I am looking for a way to stop Safari from auto-playing .mp4 files (and possibly other types, mp4s are just what they've been the few times I've thought to check). I have Click2Flash installed, so sadly the only solution I can think of is to disable it so that I get Flash back by default, which Safari won't auto-play for whatever reason. I really don't want to remove Click2Flash, though, if it can be avoided.

Anybody know of a solution? It's especially annoying when you load a page with multiple videos posted and they all start playing simultaneously.

Thanks!

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 10, 2011, 01:50 PM

I don't think Safari is auto-playing anything. I think the web pages you visit are coded to begin playing automatically.

is not
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 10, 2011, 01:53 PM

May this help Uncheck 'Play movies automatically' on system preferences -> QuickTime

gradient  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2011, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by is not View Post
May this help Uncheck 'Play movies automatically' on system preferences -> QuickTime

I'm on 10.6.... there's no Quicktime Pref Pane.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 10, 2011, 02:55 PM

Right-click anywhere->Click to Flash Preferences...->Media Player->Initial Behavior:->Start buffering (instead of Start buffering and play).

gradient  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2011, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
Right-click anywhere->Click to Flash Preferences...->Media Player->Initial Behavior:->Start buffering (instead of Start buffering and play).
Holy crap...you da man! Why the heck Click2Flash puts their preferences in a contextual menu option I have no idea....I hadn't even noticed them there as I was looking in the Extensions tab of Safari preferences where it says that there are no settings for Click2Flash. Crazy. Thank you!

P
Jul 11, 2011, 05:21 PM

They're also available directly in the Safari menu, at least on this (very outdated) installation.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jul 18, 2011, 08:21 AM

Nope. There are two distinct products named "ClickToFlash". One is the old "injected" extension (predating Safari extension support) which placed its prefs in the Safari menu.

The new one, created by a different person, is a proper, supported Safari extension. It does not (and cannot) add items to the Safari menu, but it can add them to the right-click menu. (Why it doesn't put them in the Extensions preferences, I don't know…)

P
Jul 18, 2011, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by tooki View Post
Nope. There are two distinct products named "ClickToFlash". One is the old "injected" extension (predating Safari extension support) which placed its prefs in the Safari menu.
The original ClickToFlash (which I still use) is a Webkit plugin, the same as Flash, Silverlight or Quicktime. No InputManager hackery - it just registers for the same type of files as Flash.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Forum Links
Forum Rules