Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.3 Panther upgrade = Safari not working.

10.3 Panther upgrade = Safari not working.
xfesty
Oct 22, 2003, 01:08 AM

Hiya,

We (I work at an Apple store) recieved copies of 10.3 today; it's brilliant, certainly brings new life into my aging G4/500.

Thing is - if it's upgraded from a 10.2.X install, Safari seems to completely stop working. Every other application works perfectly, including Internet Explorer, just, Safari, when opened, forever tries to open/render a page.

On a new installation, Safari works fine.

We've already installed on ~8 machines and this behaviour is constant.

Anybody know what's going on? Maybe it's some old preferences, but I've got no idea where. I've suggested they install from scratch, but they insist not due to how much is installed; everything else works perfectly (and a million times faster, everybody here's estatic about it!), just not Safari.

Any clues?

R

hardcat1970
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 22, 2003, 01:54 AM

are you using suitcase? i have the same problem when i add some fonts in the suitcase, and safari stop rendering web pages properly.

G0Ducks
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 22, 2003, 02:00 AM

Check fontbook too. It may have disabled some doubled up fonts.

R

Originally posted by xfesty:
Hiya,

We (I work at an Apple store) recieved copies of 10.3 today; it's brilliant, certainly brings new life into my aging G4/500.

Thing is - if it's upgraded from a 10.2.X install, Safari seems to completely stop working. Every other application works perfectly, including Internet Explorer, just, Safari, when opened, forever tries to open/render a page.

On a new installation, Safari works fine.

We've already installed on ~8 machines and this behaviour is constant.

Anybody know what's going on? Maybe it's some old preferences, but I've got no idea where. I've suggested they install from scratch, but they insist not due to how much is installed; everything else works perfectly (and a million times faster, everybody here's estatic about it!), just not Safari.

Any clues?

R

xfesty  (op)
Oct 22, 2003, 02:17 AM

I don't even know *what* Suitcase is, but as soon as I mentioned it, apparently it made sense.

Cheers, hopefully it'll fix the problem.

quadgrande
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 22, 2003, 07:03 AM

Just an FYI, I did the upgrade option from Jag 10.2.6, and haven't had any issues. I do not have Suitcase installed.

Thain Esh Kelch
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 22, 2003, 07:24 AM

Try running the help center. It uses the same engine as Safari, and if that one doesnt work either, its the html-engine. Otherwise its Safari.

laurenr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 22, 2003, 05:22 PM

Reading this might be useful- relating to removal of file to restore normal performance:

MacFixit solution

jpollard
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 22, 2003, 05:27 PM

Originally posted by xfesty:
I don't even know *what* Suitcase is, but as soon as I mentioned it, apparently it made sense.

Cheers, hopefully it'll fix the problem.
So, wait: you work at an Apple Store and you don't even know what Suitcase is? You're kidding us, right?

TypeMRT
Oct 22, 2003, 07:23 PM

The Safari thing JUST happened. I was using it fine this morning but now it and Help viewer won't render pages!

Forum Links
Forum Rules