Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Apple announces Airport Express with AirTunes - Mobile 802.11g base station

Apple announces Airport Express with AirTunes - Mobile 802.11g base station (Page 4)
Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jun 8, 2004, 12:59 PM

I don't see any evidence anywhere that the Airport Express's Ethernet port can act as anything other than a WAN port. ie. No LAN port functionality.

lowend
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2004, 01:03 PM

I am totally getting this thing for my stereo. But what I'm wondering is, can you link an xbox up to the airport express for xbox live?

I have an original airport box as my main wireless transmitter. I'm going to get airport express for itunes streaming to the stereo. but my xbox is right next to the stereo, so would it be reasonable to think I could hook the game console up to the ethernet jack and finally be able to go online to play games? Thanks for any thoughts on this set up...

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 8, 2004, 01:07 PM

Originally posted by lowend:
I am totally getting this thing for my stereo. But what I'm wondering is, can you link an xbox up to the airport express for xbox live?

I have an original airport box as my main wireless transmitter. I'm going to get airport express for itunes streaming to the stereo. but my xbox is right next to the stereo, so would it be reasonable to think I could hook the game console up to the ethernet jack and finally be able to go online to play games? Thanks for any thoughts on this set up...
No this will not likely work, at least judging by Apple's specs. See above post.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2004, 01:07 PM

Originally posted by Eug Wanker:
I don't see any evidence anywhere that the Airport Express's Ethernet port can act as anything other than a WAN port. ie. No LAN port functionality.
It says right on the tech specs page: "10/100Base-T Ethernet -- Intelligent port for connecting to DSL or cable modems or a local network"

I'd imagine it functions like the original ABS, which had a 'WAN' port but could also bridge LANs, which was how I used mine. MacWorld indicates this thing can even bridge wifi-to-ethernet but not sure about that. Others suggest it might come with some supported Windows config software too, since Apple is advertising it as a Mac or PC product, and I believe the current Windows software is unsupported.

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 8, 2004, 01:15 PM

Originally posted by itai195:
It says right on the tech specs page: "10/100Base-T Ethernet -- Intelligent port for connecting to DSL or cable modems or a local network"

I'd imagine it functions like the original ABS, which had a 'WAN' port but could also bridge LANs, which was how I used mine.
Well, have to see, but the web page doesn't seem to suggest it. I want you to be right, but there is no evidence for that kind of support on Apple's site.

I had interpreted that the DSL/cable model or local network comment was referring to connections for WAN support, not to bridge wireless --> wired Ethernet.

It CAN extend wireless networks, but by acting more like a repeater.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2004, 01:23 PM

I agree, we have to wait for more info, but my guess is that it functions just like the original ABS. The comments from Greg Joswiak on MacWorld (linked somewhere in this thread) suggest that it does. In fact, I believe any wireless router does this kind of bridging, provided its software supports the function. If so, I'm 99% sure I'll buy one. Otherwise, I could probably live without it. I'd love to replace my Netgear router and access point with one too, but I don't have an airport card in my G5...
( Last edited by itai195; Jun 8, 2004 at 01:34 PM. )

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2004, 01:49 PM

Well, have to see, but the web page doesn't seem to suggest it. I want you to be right, but there is no evidence for that kind of support on Apple's site.

I had interpreted that the DSL/cable model or local network comment was referring to connections for WAN support, not to bridge wireless --> wired Ethernet.

It's officially solved then: The page is ambiguous...
If this IS supported, I'll be buying an AE base and probably 2 of these. If not, well... my 802.11b ain't so bad.

vmpaul
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2004, 02:53 PM

Originally posted by mattyd:
ok, i've read this whole thread, but i'm still unclear about compatibility with third party base stations. here's the deal...

i have a netgear 802.11g/b router attached to my cable modem.

i have a tiBook with airport 802.11b

can i attach an airport express to my stereo and stream iTunes to it, but still use my netgear router for my internet connection?

wouldn't that require my powerbook to be on two different networks simultaneously?
Nobody answered you but since I'm in the same boat (almost the same setup) i'll give a try:

i have a netgear 802.11g/b router attached to my cable modem.

i have a tiBook with airport 802.11b
I have a netgear 802.11b router attached to my cable modem. With a Dual G4 (my main mp3 repository) hooked via wire.

i also have a iBook with airport 802.11b

can i attach an airport express to my stereo and stream iTunes to it, but still use my netgear router for my internet connection?
That shouldn't be a problem. I think the problem with 3rd-party routers is that the Airport Express won't work as a repeater to extend your range. That will only work with Apple's routers. But the AE should join your current network. I'm still wondering if it has a MAC Address so one can add it securely.

My problem, and question, is will my wired Dual G4 connect to the Airport Express to stream through iTunes or will I have to share my desktop machine (G4) iTunes Library and then stream through my iBook iTunes to the Airport Express?

Obviously, i'm not sure of any of this but gleaned this from reading here and other places. We'll only know after the first-adopters get their hands on it. Right now I'm making due with a $5 cable from Radio Shack.
The only thing that I am reasonably sure of is that anybody who's got an ideology has stopped thinking. - Arthur Miller

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2004, 03:05 PM

[Inline images MUST be no wider than 480 pixels. -- tooki]

Oh.. how did that happen... ooops.

edit: Fixed those images. Sorry about that, tooki.
( Last edited by [APi]TheMan; Jun 8, 2004 at 06:18 PM. )
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

mikeini
Forum Regular
Jun 8, 2004, 03:13 PM

sweet!!! love the edu purchase .. OF COURSE ITS FOR SCHOOL!!! .. havent been to teh apple store yet ..do they even have them displayed?

and for the 1000000th time - the range under tech specs .. 50 ft for 54mb/s .. etc. .. thats for BOTH aebs and ae?

mike

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2004, 03:14 PM

Originally posted by vmpaul:
My problem, and question, is will my wired Dual G4 connect to the Airport Express to stream through iTunes or will I have to share my desktop machine (G4) iTunes Library and then stream through my iBook iTunes to the Airport Express?
It should work fine unless Apple limits it in software for some reason, and I can't foresee them doing that. For example, I have a G5 on a wired network and a Linksys wireless bridge hooked up to my ReplayTV (so it's on the wireless network) and a Netgear wireless access point connected to my wired network. My G5 can see the ReplayTV and I can stream shows to/from it with no difficulties. As long as your wireless network is connected to your wired network (which is highly likely) you should be able to stream music from a wired device to a wireless device, just as you can stream from your wired G4 to your wireless iBook.

I applaud Apple for creating this device, but I hope they realize that part of the problem is that it can create all sorts of complex setups, and cutting through that confusion should be one of their objectives if they hope to simplify these networking issues.

vmpaul
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2004, 03:25 PM

It should work fine unless Apple limits it in software for some reason...
Thanks for the response. That's how I was thinking (hoping?) it would work also. Never can be sure though.

And I agree it's a much more complex device than I initially thought. That's why I'll probably get mine from the local Apple Store after a couple of answers from the tech on hand rather than buying online.
The only thing that I am reasonably sure of is that anybody who's got an ideology has stopped thinking. - Arthur Miller

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jun 8, 2004, 04:26 PM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
No.

If you have good reception (keywords: if, good), analog radio can far surpass CD quality.
Come again?

AM radio... well, it has a lot more potential than it typically is given, given the miserable quality of the AM receiver stages in even the most expensive stereo systems. The standard's frequency response is nonetheless limited to ~40 - ~7500Hz.

FM radio's best-case frequency response (~10 - ~15,000Hz) is substantially narrower than that of CD (20-20,000Hz).

Admittedly, FM radio from a good station sounds good. But it's not CD quality, and there's no chance of getting even "good" quality from a consumer FM transmitter.

tooki

DigitalDNA
Forum Regular
Jun 9, 2004, 12:36 AM

I'm looking at my edu store and the Airport Express is not listed anywhere but it is in the regular store. Anyone know whats up?

Thanks!
"Wise man say: Number of posts does not equate credibility when you post 50 times to a single thread."

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2004, 01:27 AM

Originally posted by DigitalDNA:
I'm looking at my edu store and the Airport Express is not listed anywhere but it is in the regular store. Anyone know whats up?

Thanks!
Weird... try a different browser? Don't be too worried if you can't figure it out now, because you still won't get one until a month from now.
( Last edited by [APi]TheMan; Jun 9, 2004 at 01:33 AM. )

wei
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 9, 2004, 01:54 AM

ok, here's what Im going to setup. do you guys think it will work?
its on the same floor and the space is within 30X30 feet.
thanks

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jun 9, 2004, 02:21 AM

Originally posted by wei:
thanks

I don't see why not.

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2004, 02:33 AM

thanks

That's a rather optimal setup if you ask me (unless those walls are 3 foot thick concrete). AirTunes couldn't be better suited for your needs.

perbl
Forum Regular
Jun 9, 2004, 08:48 AM

Bah!

I hate it when they launch products I know I gotta have, and then I realize I have to wait over a month to get it

wei
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 9, 2004, 08:51 AM

thanks for the reply guys. now i just have to wait.

another questions,
anyone have any idea what is the cable (circle in red)??

Jordan
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 9, 2004, 09:22 AM

thanks for the reply guys. now i just have to wait.

another questions,
Extension cord? Looks like it to me. I believe they have something similar on the power bricks used for some powerbooks internationally...
iPod Photo 60GB + 1Gb iPod Shuffle + iPod/3G/15GB + iPod Mini (Silver)
24" iMac 2.8Ghz/2GB/SuperDrive
Mac mini 1.66Ghz Intel Core Duo/1GB/SuperDrive + iPod Nano (Black)

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 9, 2004, 09:40 AM

The same as on the iBook/PowerBook power adapters: either it's a cable that goes to your wall outlet or you plug it in directly.

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2004, 10:14 AM

I wonder if the power cable is interchangeable with the adapter for the Powerbooks? That would be nice.

ryju
Professional Poster
Jun 9, 2004, 03:39 PM

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, I can't really go through every post in here.

If I hook my stereo up to this thing and plug it all in, will my Mac* be able to play wirelessly through the stereo speakers?

*My Mac doesn't have an Airport card in it, is this a requirement even just for music streaming? I would think this involves Rendezvous. Thanks for the info

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 9, 2004, 04:23 PM

Originally posted by JHromadka:
I wonder if the power cable is interchangeable with the adapter for the Powerbooks? That would be nice.
It might be. It could also be the connector from the iPod. They are the same except the iPod's brick has 2 notches making the cables from the PBs/iBooks not fit.

I really wish I could have this thing now. I think I'll wait and drive to the Apple Store to pick one of these up in July.

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 9, 2004, 04:24 PM

Originally posted by ryju:
I'm sorry if this has been asked before, I can't really go through every post in here.

If I hook my stereo up to this thing and plug it all in, will my Mac* be able to play wirelessly through the stereo speakers?

*My Mac doesn't have an Airport card in it, is this a requirement even just for music streaming? I would think this involves Rendezvous. Thanks for the info
Your Mac will have to have an Airport card.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 9, 2004, 04:41 PM

Originally posted by iDaver:
Your Mac will have to have an Airport card.
That or he'd have to buy a wireless router or access point and connect it to his LAN. Might be cheaper than buying an airport card.

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 9, 2004, 04:43 PM

That or he'd have to buy a wireless router or access point and connect it to his LAN. Might be cheaper than buying an airport card.
I don't beleive we have proof yet that Airport Express will work with non-Apple wireless routers, do we?

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2004, 04:44 PM

Originally posted by ryju:

I'll take a stab at it.

The whole purpose of the Airport Express is 1) to wirelessly stream music to a device and 2) to act as an Airport basestation (albeit a rather simple basestation as it has only one ethernet port). Two issues arrise with your question. Normally the answer to your question would be that, no, your Mac will not be able to stream to your speakers through the Airtunes. Alternatively, you may be able to use the Airport Express to bridge to your current Airport network (to which you connect wired). The fact of the matter is that nobody really knows the capabilities yet for those bizarre scenarios.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 9, 2004, 04:48 PM

Originally posted by iDaver:
I don't beleive we have proof yet that Airport Express will work with non-Apple wireless routers, do we?
Sure, the Apple marketing director for the product says so in the MacWorld article. Again, I understand people being skeptical about it, but I don't think Apple is dumb enough to lock out AirTunes for non-AirPort networks. Maybe I'm just giving them too much credit

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 9, 2004, 04:51 PM

This thing won't let me edit my posts today... sigh...

Here's the relevant MacWorld quote for those who missed it:
Essentially, AirTunes is a method of creating remote speakers for a copy of iTunes, and sending data to those remote speakers via a wireless network. That network can be formed by connecting an AirPort Express to another AirPort Express, to an AirPort Extreme Base Station, or even to a non-apple 802.11b or 802.11g access point.

ryju
Professional Poster
Jun 9, 2004, 05:28 PM

Rats, thanks either way guys.

agcollins
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 10, 2004, 02:38 AM

Airport Express is a great network extender and provides a simple but flawed music streaming capability - if you are downstairs, your Mac is upstairs and you want to change track, album, playlist or whatever - you have to move back to your Mac (and I love exercise) to make the changes. There is no ability to change your music selection or turn it on/off without being at your Mac.

Roku Labs' Soundbridge (see http://www.rokulabs.com/products/soundbridge/index.php) and Slim Devices Squeezebox provide far better functionality as music servers - if you have an existing airport network (and you only need 802.11b's bandwidth to make it work) you will find a much better music streaming solution from third parties.

The only thing that confuses me is whether Apple has changed its stance on allowing music purchasers to stream AAC DRM tracks - originally that was NOT permitted. Seems strange that there has been no advertising that you can't play your iTunes Music Store music over your newly purchased Airport Express!? or have I misunderstood. The advertising from Roku and SlimDevices seems to indicated that you can't (see http://www.rokulabs.com/products/soundbridge/faq.php#4 and http://www.slimdevices.com/pi_faq.html#formats-aac). Doesn't really bother me that much as a European I haven't had access to ITMS and all of my iTunes library has been ripped from CDs.

What do you think?

dhobbit
Jun 10, 2004, 08:21 AM

Originally posted by The Placid Casual:
1. Could I plug my DSL modem into the Express, say downstairs in my house, and then pick up the connection on my G5 and G4 (with an Extreme card and Airport card respectively), upstairs?
Most likely yes. Depends on how thick your floors are.

2. Could I also then connect the Express base station to my stereo downstairs and play my music from my upstairs machines through the downstairs stereo?
Yeppers...

3. Could I then connect another Express station to a stereo on the 3rd floor of my house and play music through that as well as wirelessly browse with my laptop up there?
If your laptop is on the second floor it will be able to send music to both. And again depending on the thickness of you floors both AEs should be able to see each other so yes you will be able to play music and browse at the same time.

Derek

LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 10, 2004, 08:55 AM

Wow, this has generated so many questions from a networking standpoint. My impression is that Apple has added all of the stuff - Wireless bridge, wireless router, etc - so you plug it in, and it will work.

My question, for my own setup, can I use the express as a WAP (access point), and turn off routing functions? I would imagine so, as you can with the other basestations. Next, having the express connected to the 'wired' network (plugged into a port on my wired router), can I stream tunes (airtunes) over the WIRED network, as my G4 is wired to the same router as the express? I would assume this is possible.

Not a big deal anyway, as I will probably use my laptop to stream over airport so I can use it as a glorified remote at the same time.

We need an aiport express compatible wifi remote - NOW.

Lee
iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 10, 2004, 09:29 AM

Ok, question...

I have a Sawtooth connected to an Airport Extreme base station via Ethernet. I just bought a Airport Express.

If I connect the Aiport Express as a bridge (extender, whatever) to the Airport Extreme base station will my Sawtooh (no aiport card, but connected to base station) be able to see it and/or stream music to it?

BZ

blizaine
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 10, 2004, 10:01 AM

I haven't seen this asked yet...

Anyone know how iTunes and AirTunes handles multiple computers on a network all trying to send music to AirTunes?

Example... if we have 6 people in our office and we have a current wireless network. We connect the AirportExpress to powered speakers. All 6 people are running iTunes 4.6. Is the last person to select "i.e. Sound System" from the drop-down menu in iTunes going to have control... can it be password protected...

Anyone have any guesses?

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2004, 10:56 AM

Originally posted by BZ:
Ok, question...

I have a Sawtooth connected to an Airport Extreme base station via Ethernet. I just bought a Airport Express.

If I connect the Aiport Express as a bridge (extender, whatever) to the Airport Extreme base station will my Sawtooh (no aiport card, but connected to base station) be able to see it and/or stream music to it?

BZ
Yeah. In fact, you probably don't even have to use the bridge mode in order to see it from your Sawtooth. The Airport Express should show up on your LAN regardless.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2004, 11:15 AM

Originally posted by blizaine:
I haven't seen this asked yet...

Anyone know how iTunes and AirTunes handles multiple computers on a network all trying to send music to AirTunes?

Example... if we have 6 people in our office and we have a current wireless network. We connect the AirportExpress to powered speakers. All 6 people are running iTunes 4.6. Is the last person to select "i.e. Sound System" from the drop-down menu in iTunes going to have control... can it be password protected...

Anyone have any guesses?

I am sure it will just say something about already being in use.

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

MChieh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 10, 2004, 11:28 AM

I'm a little confused. Apple says you can use the Ethernet port on AirPort Express to connect to either a DSL/cable modem or to a local network. Then I look at the specs and it says it's got a WAN port but not a LAN port. Is this thing actually a WLAN port in order for it to support a LAN? If so, could this also work as a wireless Ethernet bridge? I want to add wired Ethernet devices such as a ReplayTV or a PS2 to my AirPort network. Is this possible?

If so, I'm returning my Linksys WGA54G Wireless Game Adapter and waiting for AirPort Express instead.

Thanks!
End of Line

PowerMatt
Senior User
Jun 10, 2004, 11:59 AM

Originally posted by MChieh:
I'm a little confused. Apple says you can use the Ethernet port on AirPort Express to connect to either a DSL/cable modem or to a local network. Then I look at the specs and it says it's got a WAN port but not a LAN port. Is this thing actually a WLAN port in order for it to support a LAN? If so, could this also work as a wireless Ethernet bridge? I want to add wired Ethernet devices such as a ReplayTV or a PS2 to my AirPort network. Is this possible?

If so, I'm returning my Linksys WGA54G Wireless Game Adapter and waiting for AirPort Express instead.

Thanks!
Nobody really knows right now. MacWorld says that this is possible but who knows.
It I want your opinion, I'll beat it out of you.

Amorya
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2004, 12:03 PM

Originally posted by Xeo:
It might be. It could also be the connector from the iPod. They are the same except the iPod's brick has 2 notches making the cables from the PBs/iBooks not fit.

I really wish I could have this thing now. I think I'll wait and drive to the Apple Store to pick one of these up in July.
Not true. I swap the plugs/cables between my powerbook and ipod adapters all the time

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Jun 10, 2004, 01:34 PM

Some picts inside and out and details:
http://www.notebookreview.com/default.aspx?newsID=1894

"Hello, what have we here?

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2004, 01:35 PM

Originally posted by agcollins:
The only thing that confuses me is whether Apple has changed its stance on allowing music purchasers to stream AAC DRM tracks - originally that was NOT permitted. Seems strange that there has been no advertising that you can't play your iTunes Music Store music over your newly purchased Airport Express!? or have I misunderstood. The advertising from Roku and SlimDevices seems to indicated that you can't (see http://www.rokulabs.com/products/soundbridge/faq.php#4 and http://www.slimdevices.com/pi_faq.html#formats-aac). Doesn't really bother me that much as a European I haven't had access to ITMS and all of my iTunes library has been ripped from CDs.
The reason that those other devices don't play protected AAC files is that they actually transcode AAC into MP3 when streaming. Since Apple has not licensed Fairplay, those companies cannot add support for it.

I'd be surprised if the AExp didn't stream protected AAC files.

Deal
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 10, 2004, 01:47 PM

Am I wrong here? Can you create wireless networks with your laptop or desktop (still plugged into your existing cabled network) create a wireless network and then extend that using Airport Express?

Internet access would be coming into your main computer straight from the cable modem and then cast that out into the air for a portable computer. That would be too cool.

I wonder how many outlets I have in my house?

averagemac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 10, 2004, 02:36 PM

Originally posted by JHromadka:
The reason that those other devices don't play protected AAC files is that they actually transcode AAC into MP3 when streaming. Since Apple has not licensed Fairplay, those companies cannot add support for it.

I'd be surprised if the AExp didn't stream protected AAC files.
As posted earlier, APEX will play what ever you itunes will play. The only conversion is the lossless compression for OTA (over the air) transmittion from your mac to the APEX. So if you have mp3s, aac, protected aac, or what ever file type itunes plays the files the will be compressed on the fly.

Unless you an individual with perfect pitch or a freak of nature the difference in sound will be nominal.

Hope this helps
Zen
Just let it be!!

TypeMRT
Jun 10, 2004, 03:19 PM

One of my biggest complaints with my Powerbooks is no support for 5.1 output for playing DVD movies. How cool would it be to stream 5.1 to Airport Express with an external USB 5.1-capable Soundcard connected.

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2004, 04:11 PM

Originally posted by TypeMRT:
One of my biggest complaints with my Powerbooks is no support for 5.1 output for playing DVD movies. How cool would it be to stream 5.1 to Airport Express with an external USB 5.1-capable Soundcard connected.
Playing sound from DVD movies on digital audio equipment

jaydisc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 10, 2004, 05:42 PM

My 2c on a couple of things:

I read somewhere (sorry, can't recall) that WDS (Wireless Distribution Scheme?), the feature in the current base station that allows it to be a repeater IS a known and accepted standard but NOT part of the completed 802.11g spec. Thus, Apple is JUST playing it safe by not "promising" compatibility, thus not having to support it. However, I'm quite sure (sans evidence) that it will work with any 3rd party WDS supporting 802.11g router, at the bare minimum, any 3rd party router that works with the current AEBS's WDS.

I also agree that the ethernet port will behave as a LAN port if desired and thus, an X-Box would work fine.

I also believe that since AirTunes does use Rendezvous, using that functionality over ethernet should be just fine unless intentionally crippled (which I doubt).

I'm sure the power adapter cables and tips are the same for iPod/iBook/PowerBook.

As far as if your Mac is in another room, I think this thing is definitely made for PowerBooks. iBooks, and IMO, one day probably not too far away... iPods.

-- P.S. When you use a software base station, WDS is not usable, thus if your primary router is a Mac, you can't extend with AirportExpress... at least not using the GUI

darbster
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 10, 2004, 07:02 PM

So as i'm preparing to order my Aiport Expresses a couple of questions have come to mind:

1. I've got a G5 that doesn't have an Airport Card. Do I need to install one to be able to use AirTunes from my desktop? My wife usually takes our iBook and its only Airport enabled anyways (G3 12")

2. I use a linksys 54g wireless router. Should I just be prepared to put this on ebay after acquiring the Airport Express and use a plain switch for my desktops?

3. Is there a way to create 1 master iTunes library that all my computers on the network can use?
1.8 G5/12" G3 iBook

Forum Links
Forum Rules