Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > DVD to CD ???

DVD to CD ???
brokenbells
Jul 10, 2006, 09:35 PM

I have ripped my home DVDs to my Mac with mac the ripper. But how do i convert it into CDs. Are there any free softwares that will do the job, since this, is, most probably a one time job.
Vikram
-------
Dont worry that today is the last day of the world, its already tomorrow in Australia....

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 10, 2006, 10:10 PM

What do you mean "convert it into CDs"? You can't just take DVD content, downsample it, burn it to CD, and have it work in a DVD player. DVDs are DVDs and CDs are CDs. If you just want to burn a downsampled file to a CD (that will not play in a DVD player), use Handbrake.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 10, 2006, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by wataru
You can't just take DVD content, downsample it, burn it to CD, and have it work in a DVD player.
Actually, you can. Most DVD players will also happily play MPEG1 (VCD or just files on a disk), MPEG2 (SVCD or just files on a disk), and/or MPEG4 (usually Divx, sometimes Xvid, files on a disk) content from CDs.

According to videohelp.com, 72% of tested players will play MPEG2 files sitting on a CD. The OP should look up his set top player at http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers then decide which format to procede with.

brokenbells  (op)
Jul 11, 2006, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by wataru
What do you mean "convert it into CDs"? You can't just take DVD content, downsample it, burn it to CD, and have it work in a DVD player. DVDs are DVDs and CDs are CDs. If you just want to burn a downsampled file to a CD (that will not play in a DVD player), use Handbrake.
Dear wataru,

I guess you have been mighty ignorant of technologies that have been around for quite some time.

You CAN convert DVDs to CDs and play them in in any DVD player, which also happen to be CD players.

The point of this post is not whether it is possible or not. The point is whether it is available for the Mac world or not.

And i have done it in Windows.
Vikram
-------
Dont worry that today is the last day of the world, its already tomorrow in Australia....

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Jul 11, 2006, 05:39 AM

Toast should work well for this.

www.roxio.com

*edit* oops missed the 'free' part.

Try Burn, it might work just as good: http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/21992

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 11, 2006, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by brokenbells
Dear wataru,

I guess you have been mighty ignorant of technologies that have been around for quite some time.

You CAN convert DVDs to CDs and play them in in any DVD player, which also happen to be CD players.

The point of this post is not whether it is possible or not. The point is whether it is available for the Mac world or not.

And i have done it in Windows.
By default a "CD" is an audio or pure data medium. A video CD is a different thing. Please keep in mind that some of us like to be pretty specific with what we're talking about. Unless you say "video CD," then you're not talking about something you can put video on.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

brokenbells  (op)
Jul 11, 2006, 01:04 PM

Thanx .. 'Burn" just did my job
Vikram
-------

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 11, 2006, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
Unless you say "video CD," then you're not talking about something you can put video on.
MPEGISO is a data CD with video files on it and supported by about 72% of set-top DVD players tested by videohelp.com.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 12, 2006, 08:38 AM

MPEGISO is not a standard CD, but an extension, like VCD. I'm probably being to pedantic about this, but when I read "CD" I think Redbook standard audio or Yellowbook standard (as extended for -R & -RWs through Orangebook) data. So in that sense, you CANNOT put playable video on a "CD." There are of course a number of other data formats (Whitebook, Bluebook, etc.) that allow this, but they typically clarify the term "CD" with what they do: video CD, Enhanced CD, etc.)

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

parsec_kadets
Senior User
Jul 12, 2006, 03:59 PM

Oh good grief. I fail to see how bringing up Reddbook, Yellowbook, and Orange book helps brokenbells solve his problem. The next time someone asks "How do I burn a CD in OS X" are you going to ask them "Are you trying to use Redbook, Yellowbook, or Oragebook?" Are you also going to scold him for not being specific enough by not specifying whether he has OS X 10.4.5 or 10.4.6?

pheonixash
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 13, 2006, 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by parsec_kadets
Oh good grief. I fail to see how bringing up Reddbook, Yellowbook, and Orange book helps brokenbells solve his problem. The next time someone asks "How do I burn a CD in OS X" are you going to ask them "Are you trying to use Redbook, Yellowbook, or Oragebook?" Are you also going to scold him for not being specific enough by not specifying whether he has OS X 10.4.5 or 10.4.6?
I agree. Stop being so ana*. If you can't help the guy, don't reply. If someone asks me how to put video on a CD, VCD comes to mind, I don't tell them that CD's are not a video standard.

Forum Links
Forum Rules