Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Dirty Mighty Mouse

Dirty Mighty Mouse
Naplander
Senior User
Aug 30, 2006, 01:55 PM

Does anyone know how to clean the scroll wheel on the mighty mouse? I have used many different mice in the past, and have always been able to clean the wheel (loads of gunk gets in there).

This is affecting how the mouse scrolls, which is really annoying me!

Has anyone ever successfully cleaned the insides of the mighty mouse?

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2006, 06:52 AM

It's a sealed unit, so there is no way to clean the ball or rollers (dumb Apple). It will eventually stop working completely, and you end up calling Apple for a replacement under the warranty. Yes it sucks!
The difference between Apple ball and the wheel on other mice is that a wheel has a fixed bar which the sensor is attached, the Ball bust be more like a trackball, and the inside of those never need cleaning!

brokenbells
Aug 31, 2006, 01:49 PM

Turn the mighty mouse around, take a damp cloth and rub the ball vigorously. Takes some vigorous rubbing depending how unresponsive your mose ball is. But definately works. ( Do no forget to use a dry cloth and wipe, again rigorously till the ball dies before use)
Vikram
-------
Dont worry that today is the last day of the world, its already tomorrow in Australia....

Naplander  (op)
Senior User
Sep 1, 2006, 12:37 PM

Thanks guys.

I still can't help wondering why Apple doesn't allow us to get inside the mouse to clean it. Very wierd decision.

bluedog
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2007, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Naplander View Post
Thanks guys.

I still can't help wondering why Apple doesn't allow us to get inside the mouse to clean it. Very wierd decision.
Because the parts are small and they don't want a whole lot of "hey can I get a new mouseball, mine fell into the sink, under the desk," etc...

The design also relies on the pressure of the ball against the opening, if you opened the case it would naturally want to drop out.

I've had mine for quite some time and not needed to clean it. Of course living in MN with cold dry weather the chance of sweaty hands is like 30-60 days a year during our 'summer'.

cbrfanatic
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 1, 2007, 06:28 PM

wash your hands more often.

Naplander  (op)
Senior User
Feb 2, 2007, 11:25 AM

Erm - thanks!

I would never have thought of such a simple solution.

You know, I think your genius suggestion may even finally end the spread of HIV in Africa.

KEEPING THE PEACE - WITH FORCE

Forum Links
Forum Rules