Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac audio issue - is this normal?

iMac audio issue - is this normal?
LagunaSol
Forum Regular
Aug 31, 2006, 01:44 PM

Just wondered if any of you are experiencing the same audio issue I'm experiencing - not sure if it's a glitch on my individual machine, or a widespread issue.

I have a Logitech speaker system connected to my iMac via an optical cable. But sometimes the iMac doesn't pump out the audio without some prompting. iTunes usually works fine - it's typically with browser-embedded video files I have a problem. The video will start playing but there will be no audio. If I rewind the video, it's like smacking the iMac to attention and it recognizes the audio and plays fine. Anyone else have this same problem? Oh, and everything is recognized by my Logitech as stereo only - it never shows that it's receiving a 5.1 feed, even when playing DVDs.

Any thoughts?

brokenbells
Aug 31, 2006, 01:57 PM

Yup i get the problem with my optically connected Logitech Z5500. Sometimes the audio doest go through, and after a little coaxing it works as good as ever. Seems like a bug or something.

Sometimes when itunes is open or playing, and i open VLC, i lose all audio in VLC with an error message, and the only solution i could come up with was to relogin or reboot........

So, we ARE in the same boat.
Vikram
-------
Dont worry that today is the last day of the world, its already tomorrow in Australia....

LagunaSol  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 31, 2006, 02:29 PM

Do you get digital surround when you play DVDs?

brokenbells
Aug 31, 2006, 04:59 PM

yes i do
Vikram
-------
Dont worry that today is the last day of the world, its already tomorrow in Australia....

brokenbells
Aug 31, 2006, 05:07 PM

If you are working in VLC then in preferences>video you must specify it to force detect Dolby. and if you want dolby in FrontRow then you should provide for the same in preferences in iDVD.

Sometimes you have to even specify it in the Languages/Audio Setup menu in the movie DVD.

Hope this is helpful.
Vikram
-------

Forum Links
Forum Rules