Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > I'm a runner-should I get a Ipod Video or Ipod Nano?

I'm a runner-should I get a Ipod Video or Ipod Nano?
markw10
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 12, 2007, 04:24 AM

I do a lot of running, 5 times a week, about 3 miles a week. I've been using a iRiver 20GB based mp3 player for the last 2 years and have never had a problem with it.
Now that I've switched to Mac I've decided to switch to Ipod. I like the small size of the shuffle but don't like the lack of a screen. I've looked heavily at the nano but want the video and as well 8 gigs just doesn't seem like enough to me. I'm mostly interested in the 30 gig Ipod video model.
From talk over the last couple years I've heard how runners should stay away from hard drive based models only going with flash. If I need to make this choice I would choose the 8gb nano but then would want to get a ipod video for around the home use and honestly don't have the money to purchase 2 models. How safe is a ipod video for running/jogging?
As well, I know the nano is more compact but the size won't really bother me. The iriver I have now I do well with and that is larger than a ipod Video.

michaelb
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2007, 07:25 AM

The nano is the one really designed for running: it is solid state, more tolerant of bumps and bounces, has all the cool accessories such as armbands, and is light and small enough not to be a nuisance.

That said, people used to go running with iPods before the flash models existed and most of them survived (the iPods that is ). The hard drive is spun down most of the time as they do in fact have enough memory to buffer about 20+ mins of playtime, and just spins up to load in the next chunk. So unless you're really aggressive with it, a hard drive model could be okay.

I actually have both a 60GB iPod for general use and a 4GB iPod nano specifically for the gym, so in an ideal world I'd say get both. But if you have your heart set on a video iPod, and are willing to take a bit of extra care to make sure it by all means go for it. The capacity and brilliant hi-res screen is great.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2007, 11:50 AM

My roommate tried using his hard drive based iPod for running, but after about 20 minutes it quit playing until he's stop and let it refresh its buffer. I'd really suggest getting a Nano, especially since you can get the Nike+iPod kit. I got one for my sister for Christmas and she absolutely loves it.

Proudest Monkey
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 12, 2007, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by michaelb View Post
The nano is the one really designed for running: it is solid state, more tolerant of bumps and bounces, has all the cool accessories such as armbands, and is light and small enough not to be a nuisance.

That said, people used to go running with iPods before the flash models existed and most of them survived (the iPods that is ). The hard drive is spun down most of the time as they do in fact have enough memory to buffer about 20+ mins of playtime, and just spins up to load in the next chunk. So unless you're really aggressive with it, a hard drive model could be okay.

I actually have both a 60GB iPod for general use and a 4GB iPod nano specifically for the gym, so in an ideal world I'd say get both. But if you have your heart set on a video iPod, and are willing to take a bit of extra care to make sure it by all means go for it. The capacity and brilliant hi-res screen is great.
i would counter the claim that the nano is the ipod designed for running. clearly the shuffle is designed for running. to use the nano for running you will need to purchase an arm strap or rely on the belt clip which is not reliable.

i was faced with this same issue - I wanted an iPod with a screen and wanted an iPod to run with. My decision - purchase both. It seems as though you have already committed to purchasing an iPod so the idea of spending an additional $79-99 USD shouldn't play that big of a factor.

I recommend the shuffle - I would never look at the screen when running, the clip works great, it is easy to load songs and shuffle them on the fly. The shuffle, designed for running, not the nano.
MacBook 13.3" C2D 2.0ghz 2gb/160gb

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2007, 02:59 PM

You can't say that the nano was not designed for running with Apple released a very running-based combo of hardware and software ONLY for the Nano. You can say that the shuffle suits your running needs better.

cbrfanatic
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 12, 2007, 04:33 PM

i still have my old beatup mini that still works like a champ, so i run with that everyday, i wont go crazy if i mess it up or drop it since it was replaced by the 80gig monster. i see no reason why hdd ipods wont work. i run for more then 20 minutes and it never skips a beat. Trusty ol' Mini.

dreamryche
Forum Regular
Jan 13, 2007, 05:16 AM

When I was more into running, I often ran with a HD-based iPod. I'm planning to get a shuffle for stuff like that, though...in addition to decreasing the risk of damage, it's much more manageable.

GSixZero
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2007, 03:36 PM

The Nike + iPod system is totally worth it. You don't need nike shoes to make it work, but you do need a Nano and the system works really well.

Apple - Nike + iPod

Totally, 100% get the nano.

ImpulseResponse

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2007, 03:45 PM

Nano. 100%
we don't have time to stop for gas

pra9ab0y
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 13, 2007, 04:02 PM

nano as its flash based i think!

arng1
Forum Regular
Jan 14, 2007, 12:02 AM

I have 2 models and I do a lot of running. I use my 60gb ipod video mostly for my car and my shuffle for running and training. Just remember, whatever model you choose get yourself better headphones, it makes a world of difference. The apple headphones tend to slip out of my ears alot and become very uncomfortable after a while. I decided to go with the Sennheiser PMX 70 Sport Earphones and they have worked great for me.

itguy05
Forum Regular
Jan 14, 2007, 02:50 PM

I've run with Minidisc players and radios and would never consider running with a real iPod. My MD player worked great for about 9 months and then started skipping like crazy when I ran. Most likely all the stress of the jars finally loostened the mechanism enough that it had a hard time coping with the running forces. Imagine the same with a hard drive.

Go with the Nano. What I did was get the 1GB (1st gen) Nano to complement my 40G 4G iPod. I have iTunes set to load a smart playlist of just under 1GB and when I want new music I just reload the playlist and sync. Works great for me and I use the Nike+ system (both with and without Nike+ shoes) and it too works flawlessly.

I didn't use or get an armband. In the winter, my pants have pockets and I just toss the Nano in there. In the summer, I put it in the included case and tuck it inbetween my shorts and body. Works well like that.

kstutz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2007, 06:29 PM

The ipod should work for light running, however i would recomend a nano or shuffle. My dad bikes and runs daily 5+ miles each and he has a 4th gen ipod. The harddrive has failed twice and i believe it's due to his active lifestyle. The first ipod failed after two months the second ipod failed after 1 1/2 years, he is on his third ipod and it has lasted over a year now. If you deciede to get the ipod video for running, get the insurance with it.

johnnypark
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 15, 2007, 08:30 AM

Go to the Apple Refurb iPod Store.

Buy a refurbished 2GB Nano for $99. Then pick up a refurbished 30GB video for $179. Total is $278. The cost of a brand new video is $249.

Apple Refurb Store is one of the best kept "secrets" of Appleland. I wouldn't buy a new iPod. The Refurbs work perfectly (and if they don't, you send them back. They come with the same warranty that the new models do).

Rob van dam
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 15, 2007, 10:27 AM

Go with the nano
Apple an innovator in a world of Immitators.
And thats the bottom line!!!!!!!!!

cbrfanatic
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 15, 2007, 08:12 PM

i just bought a nano to run with instead of my mini, i wanted the nike system too, now i actively use 3 ipods, my 80gig for traveling and general everyday use. my new nano for running, and my mini for the gym since it might fall out or get banged somewhat. i like how the nano has a stopwatch, it lets me time my same run from day to day to see if i have become faster or not.

stwain2003
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 15, 2007, 08:20 PM

get a 2gb nano and a 30GB video. if you can, buy either or both refurb.
8GB iPhone
Coming Soon: Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz

brokenbells
Jan 16, 2007, 01:59 AM

I have a 30 GB iPod, and its great for running, and i clock an average of 30 mins to 40 mins a day, and my iPod has not even made a stutter.

Though the ipod 30GB does feel bulky when running........
Vikram
-------
Dont worry that today is the last day of the world, its already tomorrow in Australia....

cbrfanatic
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 16, 2007, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by brokenbells View Post
I have a 30 GB iPod, and its great for running, and i clock an average of 30 mins to 40 mins a day, and my iPod has not even made a stutter.

Though the ipod 30GB does feel bulky when running........
buy a refurb nano. whats your distance in that 30-40 mintues? 5k? i am a world class sprinter, and have been on the circuit since highschool when we won nationals and broke the record, then were sent to the Junior Olympics, then put in the hall of fame at the Armory in Manhattan. 4x400 relay we ran a 3:13.28 as juniors, and a 3:10.11 as seniors. so we did long distance for enduro training, and the fastest ive been able to get in the mile is 3:52. I can barely get 5 miles in 30 minutes tho.

mkral
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 16, 2007, 04:27 PM

Here's another vote for the nano. Actually this is a vote for getting two refurbeds. The video ipod is great for most everything. The nano is perfect for running. Adding in the nike+ setup to record your runs is a real motivator, especially if you join a few of the challenges online. Never a problem with my nano. 2 gigs (or even 1 gig if you picked up an older model) is plenty for me for running. I wouldn't want to get stuck with that for my only ipod, but for running it's perfect.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2007, 06:38 PM

Vote here for a Nano with a Nike+

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

cenutrio
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2007, 07:06 PM

nano and nike+ is a winner, I use it 4-5/week, 180 km, 4:43/km pace during December, it is worth every penny.

Got it in Apple refurnished shop. I agree with johnnypark, those deals are a steal.

(sadly, my knee gave up -chondromalacia-, and I'll be in the dry dock for a while, but, good run!
-original iMac, TiPB 400, Cube, Macbook (black), iMac 24ยจ, plus the original iPod and a black nano 4GB-

brokenbells
Jan 17, 2007, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by cbrfanatic View Post
buy a refurb nano. whats your distance in that 30-40 mintues? 5k? i am a world class sprinter, and have been on the circuit since highschool when we won nationals and broke the record, then were sent to the Junior Olympics, then put in the hall of fame at the Armory in Manhattan. 4x400 relay we ran a 3:13.28 as juniors, and a 3:10.11 as seniors. so we did long distance for enduro training, and the fastest ive been able to get in the mile is 3:52. I can barely get 5 miles in 30 minutes tho.
I am no world class runner, , but i do 5 km in roughly 25 mins, so 30 - 40 mins give me appx 7 to 9 kms........ I am in the army. The Ipod 30 GB has therefore been a great buy for me since it goes very well with my travelling and sometimes my sole company.
Vikram
-------
Dont worry that today is the last day of the world, its already tomorrow in Australia....

Forum Links
Forum Rules