Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Hmmm? Which iMac to Save For?

Hmmm? Which iMac to Save For?
APPLEFAN08
Jan 17, 2007, 04:27 PM

I was thinking of getting an Imac but which one? I thinking of getting the 20' with wireless keyboard and mouse? I'm 16 and I'm getting a job next month. My parents want me to save for car insurance! Right now I ahve 1300 and I need at least 700 more! After I get that money done. Do you think I should buy a 17' for 1200 or the 20' for 1500? Maybe I can get some opinions from you guys on which mac in your opinion is better the 17' or the 20'? Tell me what you like and don't like about your mac and tell me what size you have!

brokenbells
Jan 17, 2007, 05:26 PM

Most importantly, you should get that car insurance first. There are somethings in life that always come first. I am 27, and i feel that I do hold a position to tell you about this. The insurance like your parents say, will help you if god forbids you crash somewhere, financially.

Secondly, about the mac, a 17" is decent, but considering that you will be going long term, you should get a 20" minimum. Its a different experience with 20" (i had a 17" before). And go for a 24" only if you can afford it and after you spend all the money, you still comfortable with your finances.

A 20" is good real estate in terms of desktop area, and you wont like to work on anything smaller after that.
24" is amazing, but if you are financially handicapped right now, then you can look forward for one in another 5 - 8 years when you are done with this MAC.
Vikram
-------
Dont worry that today is the last day of the world, its already tomorrow in Australia....

APPLEFAN08  (op)
Jan 17, 2007, 05:35 PM

thanks that was a helpful review! I'm might get the 20' IMAC! I can just drive like 45 minutes away to the freehold mall to that apple store or just go to the one thats closer to me in marlton new jersey! BUt I need 700 more for car insurance and about 1600 more for the 20' Imac! Anyone else with some helpful reviews?

pra9ab0y
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 17, 2007, 06:11 PM

I would get a job work out how much you will get paid monthly. Save the extra 700 so you have enough for insuarnce.

I am 17 now and this is what I did.

I saved for lessons and tests tried my hardest to pass and did so first time round. Brought insurance and got given a car. I then spoke with my parents worked out a payment plan dependant on my work and income and they were kind enough to lend me the money for my macbook. I do have to pay them back but over a longer period of time so I can spend money and live as well as pay them back and keep them off my trail!

Its better than using a bank or loan shark!

If you get the important stuff done first everything else will just flow but you have to make sure you understand your situation, income, prioraties and can put across a good strong point to your parents and they should help you.

Sorry about my spelling

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 17, 2007, 07:18 PM

Welcome to the MacNN Forums! I agree that you should get your car insurance first-not only does that give your parents peace of mind, it protects you when/if you're pulled over-tickets are NOT fun, and they're worse if you don't happen to have your proof of insurance handy.

As for which iMac to get, it depends on a number of issues, including how much room you have for it and how long it takes you to save up the extra $300. For me, a 17" iMac would be fine, but if it only meant an extra month of saving, I'd wait (anxiously!) and get the 20" model.

One final thing. We have a rule that ALL thread titles need to be informative and descriptive-which yours is NOT. I'll edit it for you (you can't) but please keep this in mind in the future.

And again, WELCOME!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

APPLEFAN08  (op)
Jan 17, 2007, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by ashleyman View Post
I would get a job work out how much you will get paid monthly. Save the extra 700 so you have enough for insuarnce.

I am 17 now and this is what I did.

I saved for lessons and tests tried my hardest to pass and did so first time round. Brought insurance and got given a car. I then spoke with my parents worked out a payment plan dependant on my work and income and they were kind enough to lend me the money for my macbook. I do have to pay them back but over a longer period of time so I can spend money and live as well as pay them back and keep them off my trail!

Its better than using a bank or loan shark!

If you get the important stuff done first everything else will just flow but you have to make sure you understand your situation, income, prioraties and can put across a good strong point to your parents and they should help you.

Sorry about my spelling
Yeah thats a good Idea I may talk it over with my parents about it like if I get paid like 400 a month then in 2 months I'll be good to go! Hopefully after I can get the 20' imac. My parents don't mind me spending that much on a computer becuase its a computer but they did have a problem with me spending 600 on the ps3 but I got it though! Just to think if I kept my 900 in christmas money I would have my car insurance by now and be on my way to saving for an imac. well I guess it shows nothing comes easy in life!

Forum Links
Forum Rules