Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Can't install Leopard

Can't install Leopard
Yokohama
Forum Regular
Dec 25, 2007, 02:03 AM

I bought the Family Pack 10.5.1 and installed it successfully on my G5 3.9.4 iMac. But I cannot install it on my Intel MacBook 10.4.11. I've used Repair Disk and done an Archival Restore, but no luck.
Symptoms when attempting to install:
The spinning wheel goes on for an eternity
On one occasion the disk was spat out
Mostly the following Error Message appears: Mac OSX could not be installed on your computer. The installer could not install the software because there was no software found to install.

I wondered if I had been given a Single User disk instead of a Family Pack disk by mistake. But Apple Support said "forget about that line of thinking." The only option left they now say is to do an Erase-Install using Tiger, update it, then install Leopard.

Is there anything I could try before going to that extreme? If I do need to do an erase-install, would I be risking problems if I then did a simple automatic transfer of files and aps from my iMac to my MacBook? This is what I did when I got my MacBook last January and my MacBook has been/is working fine. Any advice or suggestions most appreciated. Thanks.

himself
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2007, 02:48 AM

Did you try booting from the Leopard disk, or installing from the Finder?
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 25, 2007, 03:22 AM

I don't think it's possible to run the installer without booting from the installer's disk.

As for the single versus family pack thing, what you're asking about is definitely not an issue. Perhaps there's a problem with your MacBook's DVD drive.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 25, 2007, 04:27 AM

Migrating should work just as well now as it did before. It sounds like maybe the drive in that MacBook is funky, though. Apple support is right: OS X has no way of knowing whether a particular DVD has done any previous installations.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

himself
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2007, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
I don't think it's possible to run the installer without booting from the installer's disk.

As for the single versus family pack thing, what you're asking about is definitely not an issue. Perhaps there's a problem with your MacBook's DVD drive.
Starting the installation process from the Finder (clicking the "Install OS X" icon from the disk) will usually reboot the machine and start up from the disk automatically. I don't know if things have changed with Leopard, but it has always worked that way.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

Yokohama  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 25, 2007, 10:22 AM

I took my MacBook to the Genius Bar and they used a different DVD drive to install Leapord. They believe--as some of you have suggested--that the drive is faulty. I will take the Mac back early in January for them to replace. Anyway, all is well for the moment.
Thanks for your replies and Merry Christmas to all.

Forum Links
Forum Rules