Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Help me pick a car/car buying advice wanted, eh.

Help me pick a car/car buying advice wanted, eh.
Zimmerman
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2004, 09:07 PM

My minimum requirements include:

pretty reliable
four doors (no hatchbacks, no coupes, no sportscars/pocketrocket types, no SUV's, no trucks)
affordably insured
between 10k and 16k
doesn't have a shitty interior (think Saturn)
standard transmission (cheaper, funner)
smallish engine (35+ mpg type)

From my research at edmunds.com and consumerreports.org, the cars on my list are:

2004 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M + ABS, cruise, other stuff) $14,048 less rebates (usually $1500)

2004 Honda Accord EX (1.7L 4cyl 4M, not much) $14,175 less rebates (usually $1000 or less)

2004 Nissan Sentra 1.8 S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M) $14,980 less rebates (between $2500 and $1500)

2005 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A) (including Leather, ABS, cruise) $17,002 less rebates (usually less than $1000)

What is important to me is to get a good car that is comfortable. I'm willing to spend money on an options package because when I make my long drives across state (6+hrs) or to drill (3hrs) or home (7-9hrs seasonally) I want to drive in relative comfort so noisy rattly cars are a no (eg, super economy like the Echo). Anybody else know of a decent car and have any buying tips? I know that its ideal to buy at the end of a period, either month, quarter, year what have you. Any other advice for dealing with salespersons? Thats the funnest part, actually.

Donate your spare cycles - join TeamNN today!
Remember to check the Marketplace!

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2004, 09:18 PM

get the toyota or the honda. almost cool looking and damn reliable. and get a 5 speed if youre not in a heavily metropolitan area. its more fun that way.

greenamp
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2004, 09:18 PM

Originally posted by Zimmerman:

2004 Honda Accord EX (1.7L 4cyl 4M, not much) $14,175 less rebates (usually $1000 or less)

Did you mean to say Civic? The 2004 Accord comes with either a 160-hp, 2.4-liter 4 cylinder or a 240-hp, 3.0-liter V6. MSRP on the EX 4 cylinder is like 22k.

Anyway, if you meant to say Accord I would say get the Accord. If you meant to say Civic, Id recomend getting the Corolla.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2004, 09:26 PM

Originally posted by greenamp:

lincon, caddilac and BUICK? surely you jest...

greenamp
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2004, 09:38 PM

Originally posted by d4nth3m4n:
lincon, caddilac and BUICK? surely you jest...
Hard to believe ain't it.
link

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Aug 20, 2004, 09:52 PM

Originally posted by greenamp:
Hard to believe ain't it.
link
Not so hard to believe. I've had a few test drives of recent Lincolns/Mercurys and Caddys and the fit and finish has really improved. It's good the domestics are making a comeback. Now their biggest hurdle is overcoming the reputation from years of less than stellar workmanship.

A bigger shock to me is where Volvo ranked.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2004, 09:55 PM

i really wonder what constitutes a problem... even the best make up there has more than one "problem" per car. seems a little fishy to me.

are we talking wiperblades here or are we talking transmissions? or are there some SERIOUS lemons coming off the lots that bring everything up?

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Aug 20, 2004, 09:59 PM

How about a Mazda3? Or the Ford Focus ZX4 ST sedan?

I've heard good things about them.
( Last edited by cjrivera; Aug 20, 2004 at 10:05 PM. )

greenamp
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2004, 10:01 PM

i really wonder what constitutes a problem... even the best make up there has more than one "problem" per car. seems a little fishy to me.

are we talking wiperblades here or are we talking transmissions? or are there some SERIOUS lemons coming off the lots that bring everything up?
You're right. The highest ranked have almost 2 problems per vehicle.

Also, it should be noted that the study reflects vehicle data from 2001 to present. In a long term study (10+ yrs) I'd be willing to bet the domestics rank near the bottom, and the Big Jap3 (Toyota, Honda, Nissan) dominate the the top.

macroy
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2004, 10:20 PM

And this is the biggest issue I have with these "surveys".... They are so subjective. Take two people with the same car and identical issues.. and you're likely to come up with different "reliability" ratings based on how they answered. I also think one's demographic/social class affects how these survey's are filled out - a 24 year old's 350Z may get much more attention to the little issues then say, a 55 year old housewife's Lexus LS450.

hm... deja vu... I think we talked about this before.....

The Mick
Senior User
Aug 21, 2004, 01:31 AM

I'd go for the Corolla, without a doubt. I have a 2003 Corolla CE (same as the current 2004's and 2005's) and it's been a wonderful car. It gets fantastic mileage: 36-38 mpg in mixed driving, 40 mpg on long highway trips, plus it only needs regular unleaded gas. It has good power when mated to a 5 speed manual, easily maintains 75-80 mph on the highway up and down hills here in Colorado, handles pretty good too. I tested an automatic and it's sluggish. Owner's manual says to change the oil only every 7500 miles. Sweet!

The interior is nice, but not flashy, lots of room for a compact car and the trunk is really big. There's lots of little storage areas, 3 different cubbies in the dash, plus the glove box and the center console. The center console has a second 12V power outlet, which comes in handy for powering my iPod and the radar detector at the same time.

Compared to the others you mentioned:
Hyundai - Corolla has better interior, better build quality and better reliability.
Nissan - see above
Honda Civic EX - good friend of mine bought one, Corolla has bigger trunk, more interior space, better power and better gas mileage. Although I think the interior of the Honda seems to use nicer materials.

I'm not going to call an ambulance this time because then you won't learn anything.

george68
Banned
Aug 21, 2004, 01:37 AM

Get something fun. They're worth more, and they're better to have everyday.

Mazda Mp3.

Mazda Protege Wagon

Dodge SRT-4

Subaru WRX sedan

Subaru 2.5 RS

Older BMW 3 series.

FORD CONTOUR SVT PLEASE LOOK INTO THESE GREAT CARS!!!!!!! YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT!

SVT. Kickass car. Drives like a BMW, has Recaro leather seats, dependable, 200hp, incredible suspension, looks, tons of luxury options (power seats, sunroof, power mirrors, power locks, windows, keyless entry, and more.

Here are some reviews: (as you can see, nothing but praise)

http://cartalk.cars.com/Info/Testdr...r-svt-1998.html

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/road...45/article.html

http://www.theautochannel.com/conte...mo09019703.html

Here's a link to help you find one:
http://www.candsnet.com/Ford_Car/Ford_Contour_SVT.htm

I STRONGLY urge you to test drive one of these before purchasing that stratus... the contour is the same size, equally reliable, and a lot more fun. There's even a Contour SVT club you can join at www.contour.org.

Anyway, this is the car I'd get if I had 8 grand and wanted a 4 door. ITS AWESOME. The shifter is SOOO NICE!!!! ACK! I'm getting excited.

- Ca$h

Zimmerman  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2004, 02:15 AM

Fsck, ca$h, you're 0 for 4 on those links buddy. Besides, I'm reluctant to take your advice since you don't strike me as the most discerning kinda guy in the world. I indicated I didn't want anything sporty. If I wanted sporty, I wouldn't get a friggin' four door; I'd get a hatchback. Think late 20/early 30's kiunda car. You've got to fit wife, six year old Trevor and two year old Jamie in the back and you're probably not going to be posting videos of your burnouts on MacNN. You have two mortgages and can barely afford a new car but the 89 Mazda with 310,000 just ain't cutting it anymore. See the scenario I'm painting guys? Now, none of that applies to me, but thats where my sensabilities lie.

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2004, 02:20 AM

I am a Honda guy, so I would go for the Accord. If you want, you can get the Corolla, but if it is Accord vs. Corolla, no doubt Accord.

I'll put it like this. The Accord is a car version of a Mac. It may not be the fastest or sportiest, but everything is where it needs to be and it just works.
iamwhor3hay

Zimmerman  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2004, 02:25 AM

I haven't owned a Mac in about a year and a half.

Quite honestly, I've been a Toyota guy my whole life, so it's a mixed bag. I'll have to do some test driving to see what I want.

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2004, 02:26 AM

I haven't owned a Mac in about a year and a half.

Quite honestly, I've been a Toyota guy my whole life, so it's a mixed bag. I'll have to do some test driving to see what I want.
Well I guess that means no Honda for you
iamwhor3hay

RGB
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2004, 02:57 AM

Originally posted by The Mick:
I'd go for the Corolla, without a doubt. I have a 2003 Corolla CE (same as the current 2004's and 2005's) and it's been a wonderful car. It gets fantastic mileage: 36-38 mpg in mixed driving, 40 mpg on long highway trips, plus it only needs regular unleaded gas. It has good power when mated to a 5 speed manual, easily maintains 75-80 mph on the highway up and down hills here in Colorado, handles pretty good too. I tested an automatic and it's sluggish. Owner's manual says to change the oil only every 7500 miles. Sweet!

The interior is nice, but not flashy, lots of room for a compact car and the trunk is really big. There's lots of little storage areas, 3 different cubbies in the dash, plus the glove box and the center console. The center console has a second 12V power outlet, which comes in handy for powering my iPod and the radar detector at the same time.

Compared to the others you mentioned:
Hyundai - Corolla has better interior, better build quality and better reliability.
Nissan - see above
Honda Civic EX - good friend of mine bought one, Corolla has bigger trunk, more interior space, better power and better gas mileage. Although I think the interior of the Honda seems to use nicer materials.
The Hyundai Elantra has a nicer interior than the Corolla. Especially if you opt for the GT, which you can get for 14-15k. The GLS can be had for about 11k, equipped the same as a 16k Corolla.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 21, 2004, 03:25 AM

Since you mostly drive on highway... [same as I do.. I-90 East and West], the Toyota Corolla may be the one out of the 4. I'm not sure about the Hyundai since I have no experience with this brand. Personally, I don't like to drive a compact car on the highway due to the interior noise. I'm more like a mid-size sedan type of guy.

Most of the time, I drive the first-handed 1995 Nissan Sentra XE (1.6L, 4AT) between Central Wash. U and Bellevue, WA. It's just fine.. I know it is an old car...I can still get to the 80mph mark.

When I back home, I drive my parent's 2004 Toyota Camry LE (2.4L, 4AT). I can tell it's much better obviously.. I can listen to my iPod w/o pumping up the volume [compared to the Sentra]. Meanwhile, I don't like the interior design on any Toyota cars.

At one time, I borrowed my friend's 2002 Mazda 626 (2.0L, 4AT). I can tell the handling is surprisingly good vs. the 04 Camry. I still have high hope for Mazda even tho Ford has part of it. So you can add the Mazda3 on your list too. Its interior design is very nice too.

Honda Civic.. not my cup of tea.

RiSE
Forum Regular
Aug 21, 2004, 05:21 AM

FORD CONTOUR SVT PLEASE LOOK INTO THESE GREAT CARS!!!!!!! YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT!
[/B]
Not many people know about those contour SVTs they are really kick ass cars. They arent the coolest looking cars even with the little areo kits but they haul some REAL ass. They are hard to find also. Not to be confused with the shitty SVT focus.

I'm the strongest person in the village where all the leaves are.

Fyre4ce
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2004, 05:58 AM

You should also check out the new Chevrolet Cobalt. I've never seen one in person, but I've heard some nice things about it, especially the interior. It starts at around $14,000 and has a great engine. I have a 2003 Cavalier with the same engine, and I routinely get 35-40 mpg COMBINED, and 40-42 for highway driving. I usually don't drive very aggressively, but I do occasionally I will, and it's surprisingly peppy too.

http://www.chevrolet.com/cobalt/
Fyre4ce

Let it burn.

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2004, 06:53 AM

My minimum requirements include:

pretty reliable
four doors (no hatchbacks, no coupes, no sportscars/pocketrocket types, no SUV's, no trucks)
affordably insured
between 10k and 16k
doesn't have a shitty interior (think Saturn)
standard transmission (cheaper, funner)
smallish engine (35+ mpg type)

From my research at edmunds.com and consumerreports.org, the cars on my list are:

2004 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M + ABS, cruise, other stuff) $14,048 less rebates (usually $1500)

2004 Nissan Sentra 1.8 S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M) $14,980 less rebates (between $2500 and $1500)

2005 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A) (including Leather, ABS, cruise) $17,002 less rebates (usually less than $1000)

What is important to me is to get a good car that is comfortable. I'm willing to spend money on an options package because when I make my long drives across state (6+hrs) or to drill (3hrs) or home (7-9hrs seasonally) I want to drive in relative comfort so noisy rattly cars are a no (eg, super economy like the Echo). Anybody else know of a decent car and have any buying tips? I know that its ideal to buy at the end of a period, either month, quarter, year what have you. Any other advice for dealing with salespersons? Thats the funnest part, actually.
Avoid South Korean. Think Hyundai.

I'd go with the Nissan. Much more "personality" than a Toyota. Toyota/Lexus is bland, and boring. I've had a few Nissans and they are very nice and reliable.

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2004, 06:53 AM

Originally posted by Fyre4ce:
You should also check out the new Chevrolet Cobalt. I've never seen one in person, but I've heard some nice things about it, especially the interior. It starts at around $14,000 and has a great engine. I have a 2003 Cavalier with the same engine, and I routinely get 35-40 mpg COMBINED, and 40-42 for highway driving. I usually don't drive very aggressively, but I do occasionally I will, and it's surprisingly peppy too.

http://www.chevrolet.com/cobalt/
I think this is a Daewoo. So avoid South Korean. Think Daewoo.

macroy
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2004, 09:41 AM

Zimmerman -

It just occured to me that I had a Sonata as a rental last week in Palm Springs. My first impression when I got to the rental lot and saw my car was "oh jesus... I'll be broken down in 10 minutes". To my suprise the car was very well designed and looked very nice on the inside. It drove very well and was very peppy (but it did have a V6). Most of all the AC kicked ass in that 110 degree heat (had to turn it down a few times).

I know this isn't what you were looking at - but if the quality transfers to all their cars, you should at least check it out. Although I believe they scored a bit low on safety tests (thinking of the kiddies).

Like I said, I was 'stuck' with it for 4 days... and I was very impressed.

milenko11
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 21, 2004, 10:07 AM

Look at the Mazda 3?

mikellanes
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2004, 10:10 AM

Originally posted by His Dudeness:

I'd go with the Nissan. Much more "personality" than a Toyota. Toyota/Lexus is bland, and boring. I've had a few Nissans and they are very nice and reliable.
I think that is an opinion thing...

These are what he is looking at:
http://homepage.mac.com/mikellanes/....s/005301-E.jpg

That nissan looks like its straght out the 80's LOL

amsalpemkcus
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2004, 10:17 AM

why not look around and get a used infinity g20? you will save a bundle and also get a pretty solid car. oh yeah and start with 30-40% minus the price quoted when you go to any dealership and walk away from it shaking you head atleast 3 times. Take a friend with you and openly discuss with him about that (fictitious) other car that you have looked at elsewhere.
Even when the price is kinda getting there, go the extra mile and ask for new tires, full tank of fuel, keeping pushing it even after you are almost there. good luck!
( Last edited by amsalpemkcus; Aug 21, 2004 at 10:23 AM. )

george68
Banned
Aug 21, 2004, 10:58 AM

Fsck, ca$h, you're 0 for 4 on those links buddy. Besides, I'm reluctant to take your advice since you don't strike me as the most discerning kinda guy in the world. I indicated I didn't want anything sporty. If I wanted sporty, I wouldn't get a friggin' four door; I'd get a hatchback. Think late 20/early 30's kiunda car. You've got to fit wife, six year old Trevor and two year old Jamie in the back and you're probably not going to be posting videos of your burnouts on MacNN. You have two mortgages and can barely afford a new car but the 89 Mazda with 310,000 just ain't cutting it anymore. See the scenario I'm painting guys? Now, none of that applies to me, but thats where my sensabilities lie.
Which is why you should look into a Ford Contour SVT. You can pick them up for about 7-12 grand, they are a FOUR DOOR SEDAN, reliable, fun to drive, great interior, leather recaro seats, and a really really really great drivetrain (220hp v6 with incredible 5spd shifter that just goes 'shnickity shnick!').

They are one of the best bargains avaialable right now.

- Rob

george68
Banned
Aug 21, 2004, 11:00 AM

Originally posted by MrForgetable:
The Accord is a car version of a Mac. It may not be the fastest or sportiest, but everything is where it needs to be and it just works.
Uh... how?!?! Accords are ****ing EVERYWHERE. Macs are only 5% marketshare. I don't think so.

- Rob

george68
Banned
Aug 21, 2004, 11:10 AM

Originally posted by RiSE:
Not many people know about those contour SVTs they are really kick ass cars. They arent the coolest looking cars even with the little areo kits but they haul some REAL ass. They are hard to find also. Not to be confused with the shitty SVT focus.

Seriously man, if you do NOT check out the Contour SVT, it's your loss. It is the PERFECT car for your needs. 4 doors. Reliable. Fun to drive. Not expensive.

Here's a review, please read it:

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/roadt...9/article.html

Here's another one:

http://www.theautochannel.com/conten...o09019703.html

"On the minus side...Come to think of it, I can't think of any misses on the Contour's list. If I really wanted to stretch things, I could say that I missed the power sun roof in my test car."

"In fact, the Ford Contour SVT is more than just a value, it may be the best kept secret in the automotive world."

george68
Banned
Aug 21, 2004, 11:21 AM

http://www.theautochannel.com/conten...uss091297.html

"it is a neat little sporty sedan that will compete well with the competition from BMW and stay with the more expensive German car through most of the ride."

http://www.theautochannel.com/conten...g11109703.html

HERE IS A HEAD TO HEAD TEST: Audi A4 vs. Ford SVT Contour vs. Infiniti G20

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/compa...7/page003.html

"The SVT Contour is simply the best handling front-wheel drive sedan sold in this country. The SVT's tires and suspension produce prodigious grip, allowing drivers of this Ford to pick a line and hold it through turns that would humble lesser cars. The Contour also has a communicative quick-ratio steering setup that allows drivers to change direction quickly and accurately. The SVT's shifter snicks into each gear eagerly, saving drivers from having to hunt through sloppy detents, thus optimizing an already impressive power delivery."

"nothing else can touch the SVT."

Here's another review:

"the Contour SVT is one hell of a car. Grip is extraordinary, and the ride is sensational."

"So if this car is so great, why aren't more people buying them? Well, it's only available with a manual transmission, which turns off many buyers. But the main reason is that the Contour SVT is a limited production car."

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/roadt...5/article.html

And another:

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/roadt...6/article.html

Spliff
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2004, 11:24 AM

Originally posted by His Dudeness:

I agree. Go with the Nissan. My Sentra has been a great car. I don't know why so many people overlook Nissan; maybe they should've stuck with the name, Datsun.

george68
Banned
Aug 21, 2004, 11:29 AM

The reason I'm pushing this car is because it is truly exceptional. Not just it's performance, or it's value, but there are other qualities it has which are pretty unique:

1. How every review I've EVER read of this car has always been 99% praise and the reviewer/editor ends up wanting one for himself/herself.

2. How even though everybody who's reviewed them is in love, they are not very well known.

3. Does not look like a performance car, so you don't have to worry about thieves/cops.

Seriously, you need to check these out.

- Rob

george68
Banned
Aug 21, 2004, 11:33 AM

Originally posted by Spliff:
I agree. Go with the Nissan. My Sentra has been a great car. I don't know why so many people overlook Nissan; maybe they should've stuck with the name, Datsun.
Every older nissan I've seen blows smoke.

winwintoo
Aug 21, 2004, 12:12 PM

I had my 10 year old Dodge Colt with the Mitsubishi engine in to Midas the other day for brakes and they couldn't find anything else to fix

In all that time I've only had to replace the front brake pads - nothing else and it still doesn't use oil.

Soooooo............ I don't believe that survey that rates the Mitsubishi so low.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not recommending Dodge or Colts, I just lucked out that year and ended up with a cheap car with a good engine. If I could afford a new car now, I'd be looking at a Mitsubishi.

M

Zimmerman  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2004, 12:14 PM

The Countour SVT is really really hard to find (I can't hardly find it anywhere). Very stylish though. I'll have to see how much it is to insure. I'm just generally reluctant to get a vehicle with a V6 but it looks like it gets respectable mileage which depends on driving style, of course .

I agree with the comments that Toyota's interior isn't quite as nice as Honda's tend to be, just from riding in them. I also agree that Toyotas tend to be noisyer. I guess now that I have ammo, I'm gonna go do some test drives.

Spliff
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2004, 12:27 PM

Originally posted by george68:
Where do you live? Eastern Europe? I see dozens of old Nissans every week and not one of them is blowing smoke.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Aug 21, 2004, 12:27 PM

Only problem with the Contour SVT, is that there is likely no or minimal warranty left on a used one.

Otherwise, it is a great car.

milhous
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2004, 02:14 PM

Go VW Turbo Diesel!
F = ma

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 21, 2004, 04:23 PM

Disagree.

Like I said before, I drive the '95 Nissan Sentra most of the time and it's now in the 75K mark.. no smoke whatsoever.

Meanwhile, I believe that Zimmerman is looking for a new car rather than used.

george68
Banned
Aug 21, 2004, 09:50 PM

Originally posted by Kenneth:
Disagree.

Like I said before, I drive the '95 Nissan Sentra most of the time and it's now in the 75K mark.. no smoke whatsoever.
Woop dee ****ing do. No engine should smoke at 75k. My subie has 175k and it blows no smoke. Let's see your nissan do that.

- Rob

Spliff
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2004, 10:04 PM

Woop dee ****ing do. No engine should smoke at 75k. My subie has 175k and it blows no smoke. Let's see your nissan do that.

- Rob
My Sentra has 230,000 km and the engine doesn't smoke. Original clutch, as well.

villalobos
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2004, 10:09 PM

Mazda3, as a hatchback. Very good for the family life you are talking about. Hatchbacks are the most versatile. Check out the mazda3 anyway : they have a sedan as well. Best bang for the buck. Reliability in uncertain though since this is a newer car (only 1.5 year or so)

george68
Banned
Aug 21, 2004, 10:53 PM

Originally posted by Spliff:
My Sentra has 230,000 km and the engine doesn't smoke. Original clutch, as well.
Yes but Sentra's out out like 60 hp so I wouldn't imagine their engines would be that stressed. :P''`'`'`'`'`

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Aug 21, 2004, 11:09 PM

This will have plenty of room.

el chupacabra
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2004, 02:07 AM

I'd go with this car. I've had pretty good luck with it. Its very reliable and gets you from point a to b.

I also have had a sentra, corolla, nissan pickup, accord, and solara and a bunch of other shtty american cars. Never had a problem with the sentra even after 160,000 miles, or corrola and thats whats really important inless your into shelling out all kinds of money every year or two to fix a car. I had the pickup for 14 years don't remember the milage when i sold it, but it was a 4 cylinder and supposedly I wasn't suppose to tow with it or anything or it would ruin the engine, but I towed a boat, or camper alllllll the time, never a problem and the engine still works perfectly to this day (with the current owner). Point is Nissan is quality. I can't tell you about the accord or solara since I just got them. The Accord is pricy though. Another car you may want to consider is the chevy prism (if that is still made) it may be cheaper than the corolla.

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2004, 06:01 AM

Originally posted by el chupacabra:
I'd go with this car. I've had pretty good luck with it. Its very reliable and gets you from point a to b.

Yeah... right... Point a to point b very very quickly.

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2004, 01:31 PM

Uh... how?!?! Accords are ****ing EVERYWHERE. Macs are only 5% marketshare. I don't think so.

- Rob
Ok. First off, Mac's aren't even 5% of the marketshare.

Then the TSX is
iamwhor3hay

Sod Off Sadr
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: I sent hundreds of followers to their deaths. Then I cut and ran. Now I'm livin' large somewhere in Najaf.
Aug 22, 2004, 04:01 PM

I have experience with the '05 Corolla LE. It is a nice car and very enjoyable to drive. Feels like quality.
You heard me! Sod off, Sadr!

The Mick
Senior User
Aug 22, 2004, 07:23 PM

Originally posted by RGB:
The Hyundai Elantra has a nicer interior than the Corolla. Especially if you opt for the GT, which you can get for 14-15k. The GLS can be had for about 11k, equipped the same as a 16k Corolla.
Not. I own a Corolla and we have an Elantra as a company car at work that i drive all the time. The Corolla has much better build quality and better materials in the interior of the car, without a doubt. There's a reason Hyundai's are inexpensive, not that they are bad cars, just...cheap.

I'm not going to call an ambulance this time because then you won't learn anything.

The Mick
Senior User
Aug 22, 2004, 07:27 PM

I agree with the comments that Toyota's interior isn't quite as nice as Honda's tend to be, just from riding in them. I also agree that Toyotas tend to be noisyer. I guess now that I have ammo, I'm gonna go do some test drives.
True, I like the Honda Accord and Civic interiors better than my Corolla, but it works fine. I chose the Corolla cuz it has better power, better mileage and only needs regular unleaded gas. 40K miles later I have not regretted my decision yet. My wife has a used 2000 Accord and it's a nicely built car, so I guess you can't really go wrong.

Forum Links
Forum Rules