Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone still disappointing

iPhone still disappointing
justjesper
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 28, 2008, 07:36 PM

Hi to all of you.
I know my title will make some people angry, if you are one of them then there is no need for you to keep reading this.
I was lucky that I got a iPhone, and I was so happy, but just to find out that yes it has internet and a it looks good. Nice e-mail, But the phone has in my opinion a huge lack of updates.
When 1.1.3 came out I was so happy. "Yes, we will get cut and paste" But NO.
I do not know if you guys have used Apple's own discussion forum ? If you use it and ask for cut and paste or any other updates, you get banned ???
I must say, that this phone is good for email and web, but at the same time it is lacking so many features.
I have given Apple feedback re. iPhone 100 times at-least but will we ever get any of the stuff we are looking for.

Here is a list of stuff I have already submitted to there feedback:

Copy/cut/paste
Search contacts
Search mail
MMS
Video recording
Flash player for Safari, (should be easy to add. )
delete all in trash folder (should be easy to add. )
Bluetooth to be used for more then headset (should be easy to add. )
APPS, and not online web apps, they are already out there, but Apple want's to make more $$

I do think Apple think out side the box, but try to explain this on there website with some great ideas.

All you get is moderators deleting your post. Feels like being a Jew in Nazi Germany

msuper69
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2008, 07:51 PM

I hardly think that just because you haven't got all the features you want in the iPhone (and I want some of them also) and the fact that you got dinged on Apple's own discussion boards (which, BTW, per the rules you agreed to when you signed up on the boards do not allow for anything other than technical discussions, i.e., requests for help- not bitching) can hardly be equated to the treatment of Jews in Nazi Germany.

Get over it.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2008, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by msuper69 View Post
Get over it.
QFT.

Also, when will people realize that the iPhone is not the perfect device. It isn't the end-all-be-all of cell phones. Its Apple FIRST foray into this market. First time they've ever done anything like this. And considering all that has gone into it, and all that is planned to be added, I consider the iPhone to be pretty damn impressive.

Playing armchair CEO is so easy. You list features and then claim "should be easy to add". How in the hell would you know? Have you worked with the iPhone SDK? Do you program mobile phone software and build mobile phone hardware for a living? Have you run a multi billion dollar business before? Then how can you claim those things to be easy to implement?

If you think Apple is excluding features that many people are asking for out of sheer bravado or whatever, then you need to take a step back and rethink things. If Apple could snap their fingers and have every feature everyone ever wanted they would've done it. Just think about it for more than 5 minutes. Why would Apple withhold features that could easily sell twice as many iPhones. When they add copy/paste, file search, true Exchange support, the iPhone will enter the business market, which is massive. Why would Apple hold those features back if they are so damned easy to implement?

Oh and Apple hasn't even announced how they will handle apps when they begin to offer then on iTunes. Don't presume to know what Apple will do before they announce anything.

And I agree your Nazi reference was a little overboard.

macuser9909
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 28, 2008, 08:41 PM

If you didn't know what you were buying in the first place why would you buy it? I just can't see the point when any user comes on to boards here, or Apple, and complains about the iPhone. I am positive that you knew what you bought in the first place. If you didn't know what you were purchasing, then I might as well call you an idiot.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2008, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by justjesper View Post
All you get is moderators deleting your post. Feels like being a Jew in Nazi Germany.
Yup, getting obnoxious posts deleted from Apple's support website is just like going to the gas chambers.

Sorry fella, but any credibility you might have wanted is not gonna happen when you make a comment like that.

harbinger75
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 28, 2008, 09:26 PM

I have to agree with the people responding here.

But anyway...

Have you taken a minute to compare your iPhone to any other mobile you've had? I would bet that you'd be hard-pressed to be able to top the iPhone's feature set with ANY mobile you've owned and actually be honest with yourself. Now, that doesn't mean that the iPhone is perfect by any stretch, but I've owned many, many, FRIGGIN' MANY mobile phones and the iPhone is, bar none, the best one I've owned for quite a few reasons.

Yes, I have credibility with mobile phones...I used to write tech reviews for Palm and Windows Mobile sites a few years back. I'm no stranger to features and functions of mobile phones, and I can't think of any one of them I've owned or reviewed that can top the iPhone feature for feature.

Are there shortcomings of the iPhone as compared to other phones on different platforms? Yes, there are. But as an entire device, it would be difficult to trump the iPhone. Of course, this is the opinion of just one man, but I know that it is shared by a few million at least...
the geek source
Twitter: @thegeeksource

justjesper  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 28, 2008, 09:45 PM

First of all.

I did not post obnoxious posts. But I was searching the forum for information, like cut/paste.
Search youtube, it's there.
There is hundreds of post's re. that subject, all asking how to do it. And do we not all like to get it ?

I can understand that there might be some sort of strategy from Apple to not give us these updates.

My personal opinion is that they will all be in there new 3G iPhone that we all know will get here sooner or later.

But it is funny how many people just sit in there sofa, just saying " Well it works, so it's good "

That's fine, but letting people discuss what they would like to add to it is like saying " I like the product, but lets make it much much better "

Why are people hacking there iPhone ?

Well the answer is super simple, the hackers know the phone can do much better and much more. They can give people what they want ?

Thanks for bringing op the Apps.
I think Apple is spending to much time on trying to make it harder to hack, then giving people who do hack there phone what they want.
So don't tell me it is hard to add stuff to this phone.

Don't misunderstand me, I do like the phone, but I know it could get improved to actually become a super smart phone.

And to the Nazi stuff, Yes I know it was a bit harsh. But it had a impact, right.
Actually, can you tell me where I can give Apple my opinion on the phone ? in there online store, where you can rate almost everything els, you can not rate the iPhone ?
I think it very smart ( from there point of view ) In GB, Apple has told the companies that sell the iPhone, not give any numbers to the press. Why is that ?
I'm not trying to make any one here angry, but it is also Easy. Europeans have a much standard in cell phones. And Apple has not been able to sell as many as they thought.

Flash player in Safari. I'm not a Lawyer but They came out saying that the iPhone provided a full web browser. Are we not in the year 2008, and is Flash not a standard plug in, in Safari ?

Thank you all for your views

Forza Ferrari
( Last edited by justjesper; Jan 28, 2008 at 09:54 PM. )

msuper69
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2008, 11:13 PM

Actually, can you tell me where I can give Apple my opinion on the phone ? in there online store, where you can rate almost everything els, you can not rate the iPhone ?

Forza Ferrari
Apple - iPhone - Feedback

harbinger75
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 28, 2008, 11:44 PM

msuper, you beat me to it!

I use that web form all the time for suggestions or when I have a glitch I haven't read about or can't find info about. As the matter of fact, I use the web forms for most Apple related products I use.

The developers and testers can't possibly catch everything without a little help from the outside. I mean, they really can't leave the volcano lair, so we have to be their eyes and ears on the outside.
the geek source

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2008, 12:02 AM

I want everyone to click on this link and DEMAND Apple to put junk mail filtering in the Mail app when the SDK is released next month.

Thank you.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

justjesper  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 29, 2008, 08:04 PM

If you read my treat you will see that I have used this link many times. I sorry if I was not clear enough.

Where can you give the iPhone feed back in Apple online store ?
This link is the first black hole that is found.

Apple - iPhone - Feedback

But use it and get more disappointed.

News on Cut/copy/paste
Apparently Apple has problems with this function.
But the funny thing is that the article describes functions that is already shown on youtube. I'm sure they are holding it back for there new phone.

We can demand every thing, but the the truth is that Apple is not listening to any of us.

So what is the point using the feedback link ? well if you still believe in santa claus...

harbinger75
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 29, 2008, 09:33 PM

We can demand every thing, but the the truth is that Apple is not listening to any of us.
Um, actually they do. There have been quite a few times throughout my experience with the Mac OS and the iPhone where Apple fixed and/or implemented features that the community as a whole were clamoring for.

Apple has to weigh updates and feature practicality with customer feedback, which doesn't necessarily coincide with what one individual or, for that matter, hundreds of thousands of individuals want at any given time. If YOU can run a multi-billion dollar company AND keep everybody happy ALL the time, you are the best businessperson EVER.
the geek source

Visnaut
Senior User
Jan 30, 2008, 11:41 PM

Copy/cut/paste
Show me a touch-screen phone with a really nice, intuitive copy/paste function. Actually, I'll save you the trouble: there aren't any. I don't even think that YouTube mockup floating around is all that great of a concept.

I'm not arguing that it'd be a nice feature, I'd like it, but I wouldn't want it to be as cumbersome as some of the proposed ideas. I trust Apple can come up with something really slick. But I just don't see it as something it should have launched with on day 1. You can easily make do without it for now, but that will change with the presence of many more apps.

Search contacts
Search mail
Yeah, Search would be really great, actually. In fact, instead of implementing searches individually in those apps, it would be nice if there was a spotlight app that found the most relevant results on your phone. Contacts, mail, calendar events, etc.

MMS
I'm sorry, but I don't see this as a necessity. MMS are basically attachments tacked on to SMS, designed for small files in an era when there weren't robust wireless data networks. But the iPhone is a device designed for ubiquitous wireless internet access, and if you have that, then there isn't a compelling reason to use MMS over e-mail.

The only reason you would want to send an MMS with an iPhone is send a picture to people whose cellphones can't receive email. And to them I say: tough sh*t. We had to cut floppies loose at some point, seems like a good time to kick MMS to the curb.

Video recording
I agree with you there, much more inferior phones do this with ease. There's been several hacked-together attempts to do this, and indications are that it certainly seems possible with the iPhone's hardware.

delete all in trash folder (should be easy to add. )
I find that people who want mass delete are those who use POP. Because with IMAP, any of those sorts of hardcore mailbox deletions and changes are things I prefer doing on a desktop client anyway. Regardless though, it wouldn't hurt Apple to add that functionality for those who still cling to POP.

Bluetooth to be used for more then headset (should be easy to add. )
For what, specifically? Syncing contacts? Big deal, you have to be within range of your machine anyway, just plug it in if you're that close. Sending files? What files? There is no file browser on the phone since you can't directly store files on it. The only thing that comes close are photos, and those you can just send off in an email (see my MMS rant above).

Now for stereo bluetooth headsets I can see as a useful addition for some, but there are battery considerations to make. Apple is clearly concerned with maintaining a long battery life, so I don't think it will happen with this hardware revision.

Regardless, your assertion that it's easy to add is ludicrous. Programming a stable wireless communication protocol is no easy task. Granted, Apple's prior development experience with Bluetooth gives them a leg up, but don't make it out as if it's just a box they forgot to check in Xcode.

APPS, and not online web apps, they are already out there, but Apple want's to make more $$
Well, they've already addressed that, we'll be getting apps in March.

Flash player for Safari, (should be easy to add. )
Okay, I saved this one for last, because it's the most common request for an iPhone feature that gets my goat.

First off, a bit of transparency: I'm a Flash Design Lead for a rather large multimedia operation. My bread and butter is Flash, so if anything, you'd think I'd be biased towards wanting it on the iPhone. I'm sorry to inform you, but this is not the case.

Let's be clear, it's not "easy to add". Flash files (SWFs) are essentially applications compiled into bytecode, and the Flash Player is basically a Just-In-Time (JIT) compiler that further translates them into native machine code at runtime. Just like Java (which you'll note is also not supported on the iPhone). So Adobe can't simply get the SDK from Apple, recompile the Flash player, and be done with it. They would have to throw some considerable resources into creating a JIT that translates it to the native ARM instruction set, as well as dealing the limited graphics capabilities of the iPhone.

Which brings me to another point: performance. Even if Adobe went through all that trouble, JITs consume a lot of processor and memory overhead, so the majority of Flash content out there would run unbearably slow on the hardware the iPhone sports, and drain the battery very quickly. Think about it: if you have just one horribly implemented Flash ad on a website running on a fast PowerPC machine, the processor usage will shoot up and the fans will kick in. That's partly because of the lack of optimization the Flash Player on Mac OS X has gone through, but you get the idea.

Sure, they could use Flash Mobile, which is a bit more pared down for portable devices, but then it really isn't the "full internet" now is it? Hardly anything out there on the web is actually compiled for Flash Mobile, so why bother in the first place.

So to be honest with you, I really don't see Flash support coming to the iPhone, at least not in this release. Perhaps in the future with more powerful mobile processors, and Adobe extending support for multitouch input on other devices, we might see it in a later revision of the iPhone. But for now, get used to no Flash support.
( Last edited by Visnaut; Jan 31, 2008 at 12:59 AM. Reason: Clarity)

harbinger75
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 31, 2008, 12:37 AM

But how am I going to check my bank account without some sort of Flash support?

the geek source

Visnaut
Senior User
Jan 31, 2008, 01:02 AM

Wow, your bank uses Flash as a front-end for personal banking? That must be annoying. May I ask what bank that is?

harbinger75
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 31, 2008, 11:55 PM

Yes, they do unfortunately. It's a local credit union. There is no option to view as standard HTML like most sites.

If I hadn't been with them for many years and have loans through them, I might be prompted to change banks just for this reason!

the geek source

analogika
Posting Junkie
Feb 1, 2008, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by Visnaut View Post
The only reason you would want to send an MMS with an iPhone is send a picture to people whose cellphones can't receive email. And to them I say: tough sh*t. We had to cut floppies loose at some point, seems like a good time to kick MMS to the curb.
You do have a point, but the fact is, I know exactly ONE person over here who accesses e-mail on their mobile - a BlackBerry user.

There is currently no alternative to MMS for the gotta-be-instant "hey honey look what I just found at the flea market do you think it'd go with the carpet?" message.

[Re: Bluetooth] For what, specifically? Syncing contacts? Big deal, you have to be within range of your machine anyway, just plug it in if you're that close. Sending files? What files? There is no file browser on the phone since you can't directly store files on it.
Which is why I NEED to use my phone as a Bluetooth modem for my MacBook occasionally - currently not an option with the iPhone, and unfortunately, a total deal breaker for me. (USB EDGE/3G modems only come with extra-hefty contracts and are NOT an alternative due to the additional cost.)

stugots
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 4, 2008, 12:53 PM

I would suggest to anyone looking to purchase and iPhone to do some research. Don't just research the good stuff, look at the bad stuff too. It was clearly documented that the iPhone doesn't cut and paste, MMS, or store files without being hacked among other things.
 Macbook CD 2GHz/2GB RAM/500GB HD/10.6.2
 Mac Mini C2D 2.26Ghz/2GB RAM/160 HD/10.6.2
iPhone 3g 8GB / Apple TV 40GB

justjesper  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 4, 2008, 05:23 PM

Well apparently Apple did not tell us the consumers that there would be no cut/paste.

There are hundreds of posts re. this subject at Apple's own forum.

Another thing that would be great is the converter. you know the little widget that can convert money, length and other stuff.

But hey I guess we all should had seen this article:

The Long List Of iPhone Complaints | Informative Post

Then I never would had bought it. the only problem is that it is hard to find.
I'm not saying that Apple should post it on there website, but if I could give it stars in there online store I might help other people. That is just not possible. I wonder why ??

But yes you are right, I should had looked more into it before.

justjesper  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 4, 2008, 05:33 PM

Ok good news:
I'm no programmer, but you might be
Thought you would love this :

iPhone's SDK Key Leaked!

Tech2.com India > iPhone's SDK Key Leaked! > News on Mobile Phones Mobile

For your information here’s the "Key to the Kingdom": 18 84 58 A6 D1 50 34 DF E3 86 F2 3B 61 D4 37 74.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 4, 2008, 05:43 PM

It's always amusing to me how people claim that they *need* this, and they *need* that... What did these people do before smartphones even existed?

justjesper  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 4, 2008, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
It's always amusing to me how people claim that they *need* this, and they *need* that... What did these people do before smartphones even existed?

Well if every one thinks like you do we would still be sitting in a cave

Just because something works. doesn't mean that we shouldn't make it better.

I'm amazed that you actually have internet, cause before the internet it also worked

analogika
Posting Junkie
Feb 4, 2008, 06:40 PM

Has it occurred to you that being able to download a driver patch for a non-internet-connected client's office machine via my bluetooth-tethered mobile phone might have secured me a future job by providing the right amount of tech magic that his previous support wasn't able to supply?

It's nice to see you're easily amused.

It's a lot nicer to be able to buy food.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 4, 2008, 08:10 PM

Hey, I'm a big geek too, just saying... I'm mostly addressing the level of drama and passion.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Feb 5, 2008, 05:05 AM

Gotcha - I felt like you were talking to me, since I said something about a "NEED", but looking over my post, it seems it was a completely undramatic presentation of a deal-breaker lack of function on the iPhone.

justjesper  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 17, 2008, 08:50 PM

I might be the only one, but why is it that hackers can get us apps much faster then Apple.
Will 1.1.4 bring us the amazing feature that we can buy apps from iTunes

What happened to Apple ? why have they sold out to the stock marked. Apple used to be a solid company with great products, now it's mass producing products and with much more errors ?

Apple is the new Microsoft

harbinger75
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 17, 2008, 09:29 PM

Not quite. Have you seen or used any Microsoft products lately? Yeah, not quite.
the geek source

msuper69
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2008, 09:29 PM

What happened to Apple ? why have they sold out to the stock marked. Apple used to be a solid company with great products, now it's mass producing products and with much more errors ?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 17, 2008, 09:40 PM

justjesper: Apple's iPhone strategy is consistent with its overall strategy to not cater to the geek crowd. This strategy often frustrates me too, believe me, but I wouldn't go so far as to say that Apple is being underhanded. They want to put you in a box that they tightly control, that is all.

You could make the argument that Apple is underhanded with how it sort of forces you to upgrade stuff (and pay for these upgrades), but that would be a whole other argument.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 18, 2008, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
I want everyone to click on this link and DEMAND Apple to put junk mail filtering in the Mail app when the SDK is released next month.

Thank you.

There are two things you can do, assuming you've got mail running on your own domain. One is to install spam assassin on your mail server, or you can use gmail on your own domain now. All of my personal mail goes to [email protected] as it always has, but instead of using my own pop mail servers I now use gmail's IMAP servers with excellent spam filtering build right in.

justjesper  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 18, 2008, 11:51 AM

justjesper: Apple's iPhone strategy is consistent with its overall strategy to not cater to the geek crowd. This strategy often frustrates me too, believe me, but I wouldn't go so far as to say that Apple is being underhanded. They want to put you in a box that they tightly control, that is all.
Thats actually what's upset me. Before, Apple made good Computers.

Perhaps they jumped to fast on the cell phone market. The amount of errors on the iPhone is astronomical. Comparing to other cellphones, the iPhone is loosing ground. Exactly because of all the faults and errors.

Has the statics sounds been fixed with the bigger 16GB iPhone ???
No it's not, and that's what make me even more disappointed in Apple.
People are writing page up and down in there own forum about all these static sounds, but nothing is done. Lets just sell some more, make more money, then perhaps one day we will make it better

I might have had the wrong idea about Apple from the beginning, ( I thought they were the best ) Now.... I just cant describe my disappointment

harbinger75
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 18, 2008, 11:58 AM

Thats actually what's upset me. Before, Apple made good Computers.

Perhaps they jumped to fast on the cell phone market. The amount of errors on the iPhone is astronomical. Comparing to other cellphones, the iPhone is loosing ground. Exactly because of all the faults and errors.

Has the statics sounds been fixed with the bigger 16GB iPhone ???
No it's not, and that's what make me even more disappointed in Apple.
People are writing page up and down in there own forum about all these static sounds, but nothing is done. Lets just sell some more, make more money, then perhaps one day we will make it better

I might have had the wrong idea about Apple from the beginning, ( I thought they were the best ) Now.... I just cant describe my disappointment
It sounds like you won't be satisfied regardless, so it might be better for you to get rid of your iPhone and start buying Micro$haft stuff.

And, regarding the static, I haven't experienced that on either iPhone I've owned, so I'm sure it's annoying. If you are having this issue, then you might want to take it to an Apple store or send it in for service.
the geek source

justjesper  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 18, 2008, 12:11 PM

Well I guess you didn't understand, when I said "Apple is the new Microsoft" I did not say I liked Microsoft.
I thought that made sense ????
And you have not had any statics problem with your phone. I'm happy for you. I just feel that Apple don't really care about pro users any more.
Who has used Apple for years. A lot of Pro. people.
Take a thing like Time machine. It is of no use if you are not only working with some small documents. I work with pictures ( 50MB ) Can you imagine how large my back up system would have to be to work with this.
The same here with the iPhone. The American marked is easy to please, this marked is light years behind any way. That's why I think Apple should had stepped up and actually made some real Up to date phone.

And just so you know, It's not all bad. I still have the phone.
But it needs a huge update. And small things like Spam filter, Yes why is it not there, would it not make sense to have it there.
I'm looking forward to hear any logic explanation why it is not there yet

harbinger75
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 18, 2008, 12:19 PM

Well I guess you didn't understand, when I said "Apple is the new Microsoft" I did not say I liked Microsoft.
I thought that made sense ????
And you have not had any statics problem with your phone. I'm happy for you. I just feel that Apple don't really care about pro users any more.
Who has used Apple for years. A lot of Pro. people.
Take a thing like Time machine. It is of no use if you are not only working with some small documents. I work with pictures ( 50MB ) Can you imagine how large my back up system would have to be to work with this.
The same here with the iPhone. The American marked is easy to please, this marked is light years behind any way. That's why I think Apple should had stepped up and actually made some real Up to date phone.

And just so you know, It's not all bad. I still have the phone.
But it needs a huge update. And small things like Spam filter, Yes why is it not there, would it not make sense to have it there.
I'm looking forward to hear any logic explanation why it is not there yet
I understood you perfectly. But what are your options other than some flavor of Linux? I simply sense that you wouldn't be a person to float that direction.

And what do "pro users" have to do with anything? Apple has to cater to a large variety of users, only one group of which are "pro users". People who frequent tech boards dealing with Apple and Mac products are a small slice of the overall populace. The average internet user who types papers (for college as an example) and listens to music would be the largest group, I would venture to guess, so for those, Apple products work as advertised for the most part.

You have a gripe with a product (or the company itself, it appears), and posting here about it other than to try and get a direct answer for a question and not just ranting isn't going to yield you anything tangible. If you've actively taken your complaints up with Apple, then that was the best route for you to have taken.
the geek source

justjesper  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 18, 2008, 12:51 PM

Well as other people here, I have also used the iPhone/feedback link

But is anything happening ? Nothing happens.

So you are saying that it is logic that there is no spam filter on the iPhone

harbinger75
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 18, 2008, 01:11 PM

Actually, I didn't say anything about a spam filter on the iPhone.
the geek source

Andhee
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 18, 2008, 01:15 PM

Do you really think they will take into account what one person is going to say? They'll want tons of people saying 'We want a spam filter' before they do anything about it. Also, it doesnt just happen at the click of a button, it takes time. And also, they don't release all these features individually, otherwise you'd be updating your software on your iPod every day which is impractical.

From reading this thread, you seem unsatisfied with pretty much all the products made by either apple or microsoft. Everything has its faults yeah? This is Apple's first phone, its not going to be perfect, otherwise they wouldn't make any money because they wouldn't be able to update it, as it would already have everything.

I'm more bothered about the camera quality, so I decided to by a sony ericsson instead, but that is the views of me, and yeah surely there will be others that think the same, and eventually Apple will improve the camera, but it doesn't just happen straight away.
Macbook mid 2007: 2Gb Ram, Intel core 2 duo, 2.16GHz, 500Gb HDD, Snow Leopard 10.6.6
HTC HD7 (Windows Phone 7!)
iPod 5G 80GB
iPod Mini 4GB (Blue)

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Feb 18, 2008, 03:50 PM

My ass it totally blown away by this fake GPS in 1.1.3. I have tried it all over the city (Toronto) and it is ALWAYS within 30-50 FEET of where I am standing.

My friend who uses GPS in the car a lot mentioned that he actually likes the iPhones method better as GPS takes up to a minute to acquire the satellites, uses a ton of battery and doesn't work so well (or at all) inside.

With the iphone method it takes 3-5 seconds to find me, works indoors (wifi can make it more accurate) and unless I push the button doesn't use any battery.

Since I only use this button to get a rough idea on what street I am on it is all I need to get directions.

LOVE IT!

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 18, 2008, 06:13 PM

It seems to work extremely well in Toronto, my experiences are identical to yours, but I've heard that it isn't nearly as accurate elsewhere.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Feb 18, 2008, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Mastrap View Post
It seems to work extremely well in Toronto, my experiences are identical to yours, but I've heard that it isn't nearly as accurate elsewhere.
I wonder why it is better in Toronto in all places especially considering we don't even have the iPhone here.

Visnaut
Senior User
Feb 18, 2008, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
I have tried it all over the city (Toronto) and it is ALWAYS within 30-50 FEET of where I am standing.
Originally Posted by Mastrap View Post
It seems to work extremely well in Toronto, my experiences are identical to yours...
Thirded. It works very accurately even out in Scarborough and Woodbridge for me.

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2008, 11:55 PM

You are a tool.

The Nazi thing is just ridiculous.

And guess what? The more third party apps and crap you install on the iPhone make it less stable. Apple could have loaded all sorts of stuff in there and it would be a mess.

Have a bit of patience and see what it in store for the SDK.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Feb 19, 2008, 06:35 PM

Other than the missing MMS which I never use anyway I think the standard feature set in 1.1.3 is outstanding and much better quality then any of the million phones I have owned in the last 9 years.

3rd party apps are just gravy.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 19, 2008, 07:09 PM

What is wrong with you? Do you even have the slightest idea how a company operates? Do you believe magic is real? Is Harry Potter non-fiction to you?

So let me get this straight... you think that when you submit feedback to Apple via their feedback page, if nothing happens within a couple minutes/days/weeks then Apple is screwing you?

Tell me, what company out there fits this totally messed up ideal you have set for Apple?

(wait a minute... are you a troll?)

bleee
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 20, 2008, 11:34 AM

It doesn't have everything but it does what it does pretty well. The only phone relevant feature that it's missing is MMS support... I can't tell you how many times I've been mocked because someone sends me and MMS and I tell them my iPhone doesn't support MMS and you get some response like "You super cool new iPhone doesn't support MMS??? WTH??"

As one user said this is Apples first attempt at mobile phones and judging by the way the industry has reacted Apple did a very good job... Apple is shaping the mobile phone industry look at all the iphone copies look at what it's doing to the carries it has opened countless doors for mobile phone manufactures to make better phones because carriers that don't have the iPhone need a device compete with the iPhone.

I'd like MMS support and perhaps better recognition of telephone numbers in SMS's that I receive. I can't tell you how annoying it is when someone texts you a number and you can't just click and dial it.
2.66Ghz Mac Pro 2GM Ram 160Gig HD Ati X1900XT, 24" Dell 2407WFP
13.3" Mac Book Core Duo 2GIG Ram 80Gig HD
12" PowerBook 1.5Ghz 1.25GB Ram 60Gig HD
12" iBook 600Mhz (Late 2001) 640MB Ram 30Gig HD

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Feb 20, 2008, 01:45 PM

I don't see how the iPhone is particularly disappointing. 3G aside, much of the desired functionality can be added through software updates (whether or not it's elegant or easy to implement is another issue). Apple's main priority with the iPhone was to bring smartphone functions and an intuitive interface together. Once the groundwork was laid out, Apple could then focus on implementing additional "standard" features. The iPhone is still a developing product, just as the Mac and the iPod took a while to develop into what they are now. Give it more time.
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.16 (Black)
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

Visnaut
Senior User
Feb 20, 2008, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by bleee View Post
I can't tell you how many times I've been mocked because someone sends me and MMS and I tell them my iPhone doesn't support MMS and you get some response like "You super cool new iPhone doesn't support MMS??? WTH??"
You need to turn the tables, my friend. If they send you a photo through MMS, ask them to send a larger version through email. When they say "My phone doesn't support email", you reply with, "Your super cool <insert_cellphone_name_here> doesn't support EMAIL??? WTH???"

analogika
Posting Junkie
Feb 20, 2008, 03:14 PM

You need to turn the tables, my friend. If they send you a photo through MMS, ask them to send a larger version through email. When they say "My phone doesn't support email", you reply with, "Your super cool <insert_cellphone_name_here> doesn't support EMAIL??? WTH???"
Almost everybody I know has a cellphone.

TWO of the people not using iPhones have their phone configured for e-mail, even though quite a few of them could.

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Feb 20, 2008, 03:17 PM

Well, with trends in cellphones expected to shift to smartphones, we'll probably be seeing e-mail replacing MMS (and maybe even SMS).
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.16 (Black)
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2008, 03:43 PM

I think Apple will have to come out with their own MMS app before the 3rd party support comes as it won't take long for someone else to do it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules