Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Optimum Online - blocking .Mac smtp server - workaround.

Optimum Online - blocking .Mac smtp server - workaround.
rambo47
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2005, 05:57 PM

So, I've been unable to send email through the regular .Mac SMTP server since the fine folks at Optimum Online blocked port 25 in a poor attempt to stop or at least limit the volume of spam eminating from their email service. Not a huge problem for me as I managed to get the same username email account at Optonline and can use that as my outgoing email server. What I didn't like was that my email comes to [email protected] but gets sent from [email protected]. A bit messy, but nothing to get my panties in a bunch over. I didn't like it though.

I mosied over to Ars Technica's Mac section and saw a thread where a guy in this spot simply changed his outgoing server port from 25 to 587 and BAM! My .Mac SMTP server is no longer blocked. Works for me!

Forum Links
Forum Rules