Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Ken DeLay coming to Apple.

Ken DeLay coming to Apple.
rambo47
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2006, 10:31 AM

Yup, the Republlican lawyer everyone seems to hate or fear is coming to Cupertino. Stories about his role at Apple are still vague, but I suspect he'll be loosely attached to Apple's legal department (duh!) and do lobbying work for them in Washington (NOT the one with Redmond).

Seems to me, when I got my first Apple computer they were the "alternative computer company", the rebels, misfits, square pegs in round holes...... They were the anti-establishment company, a lot like the counter culture of the 60's, the kind of folks that would like to "stick it to the man." Guy Kawasaki was still running The EvangeList, but the bad times were over. Or at least the imminent threat of bankruptcy was over. Still, Apple had the feel of something like a really cool pirate radion station. My IBM/pc-using family all raised their eyebrows at me when I got my PowerBook, probably thinking I needed to be watched, I was heading down the wrong road. Maybe I'd be on drugs next. (Ha! Too late on that call, Mom and Dad!!)

Apple has been a Fortune 500 Company for some time now, and while MS's 95% market share means you really can't call the Mac "mainstream", they're definitely not the dark horse of the early 80's. Ken Delay coming onboard to me signifies the final closing of that chapter. I guess I've known for a long time that Apple is a corporate empire just like Microsoft (well, maybe a little less evil ), but I had the image in my head of Jobs and Woz, sitting around the garage, saying to eachother, "This is gonna be so cool! Maybe somebody will actually give us money for this." As Apple quallity control has slipped (a function of shipping out 100x more computers than in the old days) and customer support has begun to appear a bit, well, caloused and uncaring, I still doggedly hung onto my illusions about Apple. I wanted to believe. But Ken DeLay joining the company has finished off that illusion once and for all. Don't get me wrong, I have no plans to ditch Mac. OS X is my overwhelming choice no matter who sits on the board or in the legal department. Hell, I'm even a Republican so old Kenny-boy doesn't bother me one bit. But it definitely marks the end of an illusion for me, no matter how unrealistic I've been.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 4, 2006, 10:41 AM

This. Is. Just. Really. Weird.

Intel chips in our Macs and DeLay coming to Apple.

What did DeLay ever do to earn the "Golden Ticket" from Apple?

Sigh.

Anyway, I'm going to the beach down the street from my home...anyone wanna join me?

Have a good one!

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 4, 2006, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Cody Dawg

Sigh.

Anyway, I'm going to the beach down the street from my home...anyone wanna join me?

Have a good one!

Hi Cody,

Yes, it would be a dream come true to actually meet you in person. Time on the beach would be awesome.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 4, 2006, 11:54 AM

Please provide a link. DeLay is immersed neck-deep in legal troubles, and is practically broke. He has no credence in the business world, and I find this highly unbelievable.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

pooka
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2006, 01:04 PM

Dream? I have no idea when you became self-aware but I'm really going to start freaking out if you've taken corporeal form.

New, Improved and Legal in 50 States

Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2006, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by pooka
Dream? I have no idea when you became self-aware but I'm really going to start freaking out if you've taken corporeal form.
Ahahahha, lol.

wd is still awesome though.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Mar 4, 2006, 08:18 PM

Who is Ken DeLay? Do you mean Ken Lay, the ex-ceo on Enron? Or Tom DeLay, the congressman.

Either way, I think you are full of crap.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Mar 4, 2006, 08:26 PM

Huh? DeLay isn't working at Apple:

http://news.com.com/2061-10793_3-6045945.html
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

euchomai
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2006, 11:59 PM

That's what people get for being headline readers only.

rambo47  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2006, 10:15 AM

Do'h! It's Tom Delay, the Texas Rep. Here's your linky: http://news.com.com/2061-10793_3-604...5945&subj=news

ChrisF
Senior User
Mar 5, 2006, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by rambo47
Do'h! It's Tom Delay, the Texas Rep. Here's your linky: http://news.com.com/2061-10793_3-604...5945&subj=news
Better go back and actually read that article.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Mar 5, 2006, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Cody Dawg

Sigh.

Have a good one!

Nice pic. I thought I saw sharks, but it turns out upon exploding the view it was just Jobs and some corporate lawyers. I think they're holding 100 dollar bills.
ebuddy

midwinter
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2006, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by rambo47

Um.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 6, 2006, 06:06 PM

Nice beach *oblivious to the rest of the thread*

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 6, 2006, 06:28 PM

Woot.

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules