Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Odd system-wide mouse/cursor behavior

Odd system-wide mouse/cursor behavior
slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2007, 11:20 PM

Lately I have this problem that is fixed by logging out and back in, but it always comes back, and I can never tell what triggers it:

Most mouseover events don't work. Tooltips don't show up anywhere, the status bars don't update in Safari or NetNewsWire, the symbols in the traffic light window widgets don't appear, the Dock doesn't unhide, and my Exposé hot corner doesn't work.

It gets weirder. Some of these work in certain conditions: If I press a modifier key while floating over a link in Safari, tooltips and status bar work, but they're "stuck" until I click or press another key. And the Dock/Exposé respond after I invoke the app switcher with Cmd-Tab.

I'm sure I could probably think of a really time-consuming series of troubleshooting steps to try to isolate the problem's cause, but first I gotta ask whether this weirdness is familiar to anyone. TIA.

Forum Links
Forum Rules