Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Some help running a Windows application please...

Some help running a Windows application please...
krx
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 2, 2008, 07:45 PM

I need to use an application that only runs on Windows. I've never used Windows before and have a 2 or 3 year old G4 iBook - so no bootcamp. Don't want to spend much and don't want to invest a lot of time, but I'm wondering if anyone knows a quick, easy, and cheap (while hopefully somewhat safe and reliable) solution so I can download and run this Windows-only app? I know nothing about the software available like Parallels or whatever, nor anything about which version of Windows to get. So any help would be much appreciated.

Cold Warrior
Mar 2, 2008, 07:48 PM

Parallels and another option, VMware Fusion, run only on Intel Macs.

What app do you need to run?

krx  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 2, 2008, 08:10 PM

It's a domain name appraisal tool. Not widely known, just something recently developed for use by people in the domaining industry.

Cold Warrior
Mar 2, 2008, 08:17 PM

If it uses more resources than Windows Text Pad, and you will be using it regularly, you should get a cheap Windows machine; maybe a very old one on the cheap. Virtual PC is unusable in any version with any incarnation of Windows.

krx  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 2, 2008, 08:43 PM

In terms of the resources it uses, I really have no idea, but it doesn't seem like it would be a lot. The web site w/the download is here, if you care to take a look. It's in the top box on the left.
I'm afraid I don't know what this means: "Virtual PC is unusable in any version with any incarnation of Windows."

Cold Warrior
Mar 2, 2008, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by krx View Post
I'm afraid I don't know what this means: "Virtual PC is unusable in any version with any incarnation of Windows."
Meaning it runs like complete crap no matter what version you use and no matter what version of Windows (98, ME, 2000, XP) you try to run on it.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 2, 2008, 09:14 PM

If you want to run Windows apps, do it through a remote connection or buy a Mactel.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

krx  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 2, 2008, 10:11 PM

remote connection? What's that? How do I get one? And will it allow me to download/run the app in question?

Cold Warrior
Mar 2, 2008, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by krx View Post
remote connection? What's that? How do I get one? And will it allow me to download/run the app in question?
Remote Desktop is a free application downloaded from Microsoft. It runs on a Mac and allows you to enter the IP of a Windows machine -- one that supports remote access (e.g., like Windows XP Pro) and has it turned on. This setup would let you control a PC, either over the Internet or on your LAN, and see its screen as if you were sitting at it. You could run your Windows application that way.

krx  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 3, 2008, 08:48 PM

Thanks for the replies. Seems like it's going to be more complicated and expensive than it probably merits, given I just need it for this one app. The app organizes domain names by quality/pattern and, given that I have hundreds, would save me some time. But I can also do it by hand.

Thanks again.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 3, 2008, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
If it uses more resources than Windows Text Pad, and you will be using it regularly, you should get a cheap Windows machine; maybe a very old one on the cheap. Virtual PC is unusable in any version with any incarnation of Windows.
I don't know if that's really indisputable. I've used Virtual PC a little bit on my PowerBook with Windows 98 and while it was not fast, it was usable.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 3, 2008, 09:17 PM

I just learned a new verb: "domaining." Interesting, but Calvin was certainly right: "Verbing weirds language." I'd be interested to know what defines a "quality" domain name, but that's beside the point.

Any Intel Mac can run Windows. Parallels and VMWare's Fusion are OS X applications that run on Intel Macs. Boot Camp lets you install Windows natively, and it's free (it comes with Leopard). On the whole, I'd go with Boot Camp for two reasons: it's free and it lets you boot Windows with nothing between Windows and the hardware so it is faster and cleaner. If your app only needs to be run periodically, this would be a really worthwhile option.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules