Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Official WWDC Panther GUI Raves Thread

Official WWDC Panther GUI Raves Thread
Mac Guru
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2003, 03:25 AM

WOW, now THAT's cool. Let us hear what you love about Apple's new GUI.

Mac Guru

bbxstudio
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 23, 2003, 10:11 AM

To soon to tell, but if it's the design is the same as it was in the leaked screenshots, you'll get no positives from me. I think it's half-assed, inconsistent, wonky and more than a little bit ugly. A step backward (more like sideways) in my opinion.

Brien
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2003, 10:32 AM

Well, the titlebar and metal finder suck, but the subtle stripes are kinda cool. Expose is cool, as is the fact that they consilidated some of the preference panes.

bbxstudio
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 23, 2003, 10:43 AM

Originally posted by brien:
Expose is cool, as is the fact that they consilidated some of the preference panes.
Functionality-wise I'm sure it rocks... but visually the screens leaked over the weekend (if they're real) show a real lack of design sense overall.

bbxstudio
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 23, 2003, 10:45 AM

But hey, I just realized I can now adapt BBX Platinum to OSX with the system-wide metal appearance That's one good thing.

http://homepage.mac.com/bbxstudio/PhotoAlbum5.html

Slayer-X
Forum Regular
Jun 23, 2003, 10:56 AM

Where can I find screenshots of the new GUI? Or how do I get to see it to rave about it?

gdiddy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 23, 2003, 11:37 AM

looks like the BM finder is offical:

http://www.mac.com/1/pantherpreview.html
Michael: Hasn't everything been sort of discovered now by like Magellan and Cortez?

Buster: Oh, yeah yeah, those guys did a pretty good job.

Brien
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2003, 11:47 AM

Looks like panther's "X" is brushed as well.

bbxstudio
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 23, 2003, 07:00 PM

Originally posted by brien:
Looks like panther's "X" is brushed as well.
Not even - it's some half-Aqua plasticky-smooth metal they're using... I find the material a bit confusing (although not entirely unatractive).

bbxstudio
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 23, 2003, 07:10 PM

Well I just watched the WWDC keynote and I have to say, aside from the N-A-S-T-Y bastardized Aqua/brushed hodgepodge look they're using, the features are pretty slick. Expos� looks amazingly useful, as does the new finder (I'm hoping the sidebar is optional) and especially the fast user switching... think about it, you could have multiple workspaces with their own settings (one for print and one for GUI for example) with multiple independant instances of the same application running in each, each instance with its own finely-tunes prefs and tool settings - and switch between them on the fly! Simply brilliant - this is the sort of thing I can see altering workflows in way Apple never intended - in fact, I could easily see the opportunity for a 3rd party workflow manager that utilized this fast user switching in ways that could really change the way people work (unsanity, geekspiff - a million dollar idea is in there somewhere). All in all an outstanding achievement from a functionality perspective, a bloody horrible mess from a stylistic perspective. I give it a 6 out of 10 (it would be a 10 if Apple hadn't f*cked up the interface style so badly).

Sage
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2003, 07:55 PM

Question - Is there currently a limit on how many users one can create? Because with this really cool cube effect thingie, there's a physical limitation... cubes have 6 sides, 4 if you don't count the top and bottom. So...

(Not that it concerns me, since I'm a one-man environment )

fireside
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2003, 08:17 PM

where can i see large pictures of the GUI. all i can find are really small ones.

Steb Mad
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 23, 2003, 08:36 PM

Originally posted by bbxstudio:
Well I just watched the WWDC keynote and I have to say, aside from the N-A-S-T-Y bastardized Aqua/brushed hodgepodge look they're using, the features are pretty slick. Expos� looks amazingly useful, as does the new finder (I'm hoping the sidebar is optional) and especially the fast user switching... think about it, you could have multiple workspaces with their own settings (one for print and one for GUI for example) with multiple independant instances of the same application running in each, each instance with its own finely-tunes prefs and tool settings - and switch between them on the fly! Simply brilliant - this is the sort of thing I can see altering workflows in way Apple never intended - in fact, I could easily see the opportunity for a 3rd party workflow manager that utilized this fast user switching in ways that could really change the way people work (unsanity, geekspiff - a million dollar idea is in there somewhere). All in all an outstanding achievement from a functionality perspective, a bloody horrible mess from a stylistic perspective. I give it a 6 out of 10 (it would be a 10 if Apple hadn't f*cked up the interface style so badly).
Take it easy, man.

bbxstudio
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 23, 2003, 09:12 PM

Originally posted by Steb Mad:
Take it easy, man.
Bah there's simply no excuse for badly rendered virtual materials and stylistic inconsistency given Apple's track record.

phillryu
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2003, 05:58 PM

Yeah. I'm waiting for BBX to create the ultimate theme: Utopia menus/aqua replacement, with mirai replacement of the current brushed apps.
( Last edited by phillryu; Jun 24, 2003 at 08:05 PM. )

n8x
Jun 25, 2003, 09:39 AM

Ok well I decided I wouldn't judge it until i tried it, since it did look awful at first. But it feels good, and you can open finder windows without the border and all.. It's nothing groundbreaking but better than jaguar IMHO.

and it's SNAPPIER�!!

Michael_Jackson
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 26, 2003, 04:09 PM

Brushed metal doesn't bother me so much, but I was wondering what it would look like if Apple were to put a gloss over it, in the same way that they made the panther logo glossy and metal at the same time.

i think it could look rather good.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2003, 04:58 PM

Originally posted by phillryu:
Yeah. I'm waiting for BBX to create the ultimate theme: Utopia menus/aqua replacement, with mirai replacement of the current brushed apps.
Ya, and I hope at least one of his new themes will be done for jag a few months before panther is out. Isn't Panther set for Sep?
click one

mrtew
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2003, 06:59 PM

Originally posted by NetworkShadow:
Ya, and I hope at least one of his new themes will be done for jag a few months before panther is out. Isn't Panther set for Sep?

I was just thinking that I hope that at least one of his themes is out before Panther is replaced by Ocelot!

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

bbxstudio
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 26, 2003, 08:48 PM

Originally posted by NetworkShadow:
Well, by the look of things, Mirai will be a Jaguar-only creation at this point - first off, the composition was driven to a large extent by the Aqua finder window, secondly it uses a non-grayscale metal that's impossible to achieve in Panther's Finder (so far at least). Seing as I never intend to do an entirely grayscale theme, God knows if I'll ever be theming Panther. Sucks, because I will have to move to Panther (and a shiney new G5) at some point (either that or throw in the towel and move to the PC where I can at least do what I love to do - skin the OS).

They keep saying Panther will be out 'by years end'... that could mean Christmas, so I might be able to get a few months out of Mirai in any case (again, this sucks because it only took over a year to make). I'm feeling pretty discouraged at this point. F*ck Apple, I just wich they'd get their heads out of their asses and open up the API. The way Panther looks, they need all the help they can get with it at this point.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2003, 12:45 AM

Originally posted by bbxstudio:
Well, by the look of things, Mirai will be a Jaguar-only creation at this point - first off, the composition was driven to a large extent by the Aqua finder window, secondly it uses a non-grayscale metal that's impossible to achieve in Panther's Finder (so far at least). Seing as I never intend to do an entirely grayscale theme, God knows if I'll ever be theming Panther. Sucks, because I will have to move to Panther (and a shiney new G5) at some point (either that or throw in the towel and move to the PC where I can at least do what I love to do - skin the OS).

They keep saying Panther will be out 'by years end'... that could mean Christmas, so I might be able to get a few months out of Mirai in any case (again, this sucks because it only took over a year to make). I'm feeling pretty discouraged at this point. F*ck Apple, I just wich they'd get their heads out of their asses and open up the API. The way Panther looks, they need all the help they can get with it at this point.
Damn... well I hope we see Mirai soon then. I really hope you don't go PC though. Themes are the one thing I like about windows also. We should really work on getting Apple to support themes.
click one

Forum Links
Forum Rules