Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Installing Oracle on reg. OS X

Installing Oracle on reg. OS X
madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 17, 2005, 05:54 PM

The OS X Oracle developer edition states it is for OS X Server. Has anyone tried to or successfully installed it on regular OS X?

The Sybase ASE dev. edition stated the same thing on their website too, but upon download the install instructions also said reg. OS X would work too, and it installed without a hitch.

Before I attempt trying it, I'm just wondering if anyone has installed Oracle dev. edition on regular OS X and how it went [don't want to muck things up]?

Thanks
The only thing necessary for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing
- Edmund Burke

mania
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 19, 2005, 09:09 PM

i seem to recall trying this awhile ago but i can't remember what happend other than i regretted it. hope this helps.
The Bitcastle
graphic design, web development, hosting

madmacgames  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 20, 2005, 01:46 AM

yeah I found an article on Oracle's site detailing how to do it. After some initial struggles because I did not have a good enough version of XCode, it installed ok, though sometimes when I start it, it doesn't want to fully start, and I'll be damned if iSQL*Plus will let me log in.

And when I installed the client tools, it said something about installing some GUI interfaces, and I'll be damned if I can find where it put them... lol... Unless all it meant were the J2EE interfaces that you can access through a browser (as long as it is not Safari).

I've tried to look a couple things up on their online forums, but they cause Safari to crash half the time... lol

I think I will be ok for just development and testing that my app works ok with Oracle, but I have to say Sybase is kicking the crap out of Oracle for OS X support.
The only thing necessary for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing
- Edmund Burke

peterthorn
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 22, 2005, 09:47 AM

I succeded in doing it about a year ago, using the descriptions from oracle (and a lot of tries). If I remember correctly it was the articles by Matt Rohrer, but they had some errors at that time (the errors was in the code for installing and not the authors fault, but the webmaster's - and they was corrected, but others may have appeared). It was worth for me to contact the responsible of the site to check if the info was correct (as the errors was then corrected).

To keep my system fairly clean, I created a seperate account for oracle.

I could, however, only run it in the terminal.

I may have some notes at home regarding this - if I do (and they are worth it), I'll post them.

Peter

Forum Links
Forum Rules