Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Panther, last software update

Panther, last software update
madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 17, 2005, 12:24 PM

Is anyone else on Panther getting very strange behavior since the last software update?

I don't exactly recall what it involved, but it was just some normal stuff like airport update, and some unix stuff, but I don't exactly recall.

Anyways, ever since the last update I did (which was about a week ago I think), Panther is acting very bizarre. The Finder seems to freeze frequently, and I have to relaunch it.

But even more odd, is that whatever controls the GUI animations and mouse changes, mouse clicks, etc (is that the WindowServer?) seems to be seriously messed up. I will get times when it stops working, or only half works (especially with animations and mouse hovers). It is very difficult to explain and very bizzare to watch. it is like the GUI is sort of half frozen, if that makes any sense. This lasts for about 5 - 10 minute periods and then goes away for a bit, then comes back, goes away, etc...

Has anyone else encountered an anomaly like this?
The only thing necessary for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing
- Edmund Burke

Watson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2005, 08:50 PM

If you suspect the windowserver:
Finder->Applications->Utilities->Console

click on Logs, expand /var/log then select windowserver.log

You might want to try the usual Disk Utility repair permissions troubleshooting steps.

madmacgames  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 17, 2005, 09:03 PM

>> You might want to try the usual Disk Utility repair permissions troubleshooting steps.

Yeah already tried all that...

I looked over the update summary on Apple's site, and one of the components updated in the security fix was QuickDraw. I'm not exactly sure what that it, but as far as I can tell it seems to play some part in drawing the GUI. So it might be that.

I'm not going to be on Panther for much longer anyways, so I am not overly concerned about the issue, but I wish I knew how to roll back security updates, because that's what I'd do to safely get me through the next couple weeks.

I'm going to check the logs now and see if I can find a log for QuickDraw too.
The only thing necessary for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing
- Edmund Burke

Forum Links
Forum Rules