Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Oi! Ipod Problems!

Oi! Ipod Problems!
cswann67
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 5, 2006, 12:24 AM

ya. i got another iPod for christmas. I was just importing some tunes to it, ejected it, unplugged it, and then it went haywire.

now it just contiuously keeps resetting itself. it will completely reset, the main menu will come up for a few seconds, and then it will reset again. while resetting the harddrive keeps spinning and then spinning down.

also, the "charging" icon in the corner is frozen now too.

this thing is a week old. anyone know what apples policy is on this or have any suggestions?

any help is obviously appreciated.
peace, caleb
"This must be some sick joke, that I
played on myself. This must be some
sick self, that I joked on my play."

volcano
Senior User
Jan 5, 2006, 01:50 AM

Sounds like the hard-drive is dying and/or dead. The resetting/spinning up/down cycle is a classic symbol of a hard-drive failure. See if you can return it - if not, then your friend, family, co-worker, or whoever gave it to you just gave you a faulty iPod for Christmas. Was it new?

Which iPod is it? Generation? Size? Do you use Firewire or USB to transfer songs? Are you on a PC or Mac? Some additional information would be helpful.

cswann67  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 5, 2006, 01:22 PM

brand new. straight from apple. 5th generation 60 gig. i use all mac products. it was plugged in via usb to my powerbook, i ejected, then it **** the bed.
"This must be some sick joke, that I
played on myself. This must be some
sick self, that I joked on my play."

volcano
Senior User
Jan 6, 2006, 06:30 PM

See if you can return it to the Apple store with the original receipt (ask whoever gave it to you). Apple has a 14-day returning period so you should return it ASAP. All iPods have complementary 90-day phone support and a one year limited warranty, so if you are unable to return it, you should be able to at least exchange it or get it fixed by Apple. Good luck.

Forum Links
Forum Rules