Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Heard the one about... David Blunkett - he's a clueless fool

Heard the one about... David Blunkett - he's a clueless fool
moodymonster
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2006, 01:48 PM

David Blunket (former UK Home Secretary)
Urban myth or terror warning? How David Blunkett took a tale of a rumoured attack straight to the top.

It is a story that has dropped in to many an e-mail in-box or been passed on by word-of-mouth. And its distribution has picked up in these times of heightened security since the 11 September and 7 July attacks.

The characters in the story and its location vary, but the plot stays mostly the same. It runs as follows:

"My friend's Aunt Sally was in a queue and this Middle Eastern-looking bloke in front of her dropped his wallet. When she gave it back to him, he told her to avoid central London on Saturday because something big might happen. Tell as many people as you can."
Most people sigh, and delete the e-mail.

But when this same tale crossed David Blunkett's path in late 2001, he passed it straight to the top.

An entry in his newly-published diary reveals how he had spoken to an old school friend, who had heard the story involving the return of a wallet to an Arab man and a warning not to be in London on 11 November.

"I immediately registered the significance of this," Blunkett wrote at the time. "The 11th of November is Armistice Day, the one day in the year when all leading politicians from the three parties, the Queen, other members of the Royal family, and the leading personnel of the armed services are in the same place at the same time - a known time, in central London.

"I decided that I should at least tell Tony Blair as it was absolutely clear that nobody had fully thought through the significance.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6090918.stm

as if any further proof was needed... he's a moron - how on this Earth he got to where he is (was?) I have no idea.

The fact that he also puts it in his memoirs just indicates how much of a clueless muppet he is.

Just so reassuring to know that national security decisions are made on what his made told him he'd heard.

Forum Links
Forum Rules