Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Summer Vacation - Need you expert advice

Summer Vacation - Need you expert advice
GK
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 9, 2002, 03:20 PM

Ok,

I got a friend visiting from Europe this summer. He wants to experience a Springbreak-like vacation. Only problem, he's coming in first week in July. Does anybody have any suggestions which place to go to in July, where

- there are no/few "old people"
- lots of young people
- lots of partying going on
- no "family style" place

Any places in the US, Carribean, and Mexico, are welcome suggestions.

Thanks

G Barnett
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 9, 2002, 03:31 PM

Yeah, I got one for ya. Never thought I'd actually ADVOCATE to anyone that they go there, but damn, it fits all of your criteria.

Myrtle Bitch --er, Beach, SC.

Only older folks there are the so-called 'snowbirds' who populate the area during the winter plus golfers. The place has the highest number of 18-hole golf courses per capita of any place in the world, so you'll see golfers.

There's lots of young folks who both go there and work there and TONS of partying. The beach is a big attraction, plus there's Ocean Boulevard with tourist trap after tourist trap.

As for your last item, I'm not sure what you mean by "family style" place. Myrtle Beach certainly has its fair share of "family friendly" attractions, but they're not the entire purpose of the town, unlike Branson, MO, for example. The focus is the beach and the ocean and sun and sand.

As an added bonus, your friend can experience the tackiest town on the entire east coast. Of course, it may scar him for life, but what are friends for, eh?

G Barnett
Life is like a clay pigeon -- sooner or later, someone is going to shoot you down and even if they miss you'll still wind up shattered and broken in the end.

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 9, 2002, 04:01 PM

Given your locale, I'd say any trip to Massachusetts for a first timer just is not complete without a trip to P-Town. The only old people are the ones partying. July is the near hight of Partiness in P-Town. Of course, there's also the Vinyard. More rocking than Nantucket.
You can try Newport as well. Block Island, too.

I'm going to pull your head off because I don't like your head.

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Apr 9, 2002, 07:10 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; Apr 25, 2004 at 02:07 AM. )

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Apr 9, 2002, 07:35 PM

Originally posted by G Barnett:
<STRONG>Yeah, I got one for ya. Never thought I'd actually ADVOCATE to anyone that they go there, but damn, it fits all of your criteria.

Myrtle Bitch --er, Beach, SC.</STRONG>
Dear god, I can't believe someone just cast Myrtle Beach in a favorable light. That place is ...horrid. About the only redeeming feature there is a store called "Loose Lucy's" that is apparently trying to emulate a shop on Telegraph Ave. in Berkeley, CA, and that was only worthwhile because it was incredibly funny to my friends and I (who are from Berkeley).

If you do go there, there a restaurant called the Texas something or other. You'll know what I mean if you see it, it's on the main strip. STAY AWAY FROM IT!!!! That was probably the worst dinner I ever spent money on in my life.

dillerX
Professional Poster
Apr 9, 2002, 07:35 PM

Minnesota is out for you. We are loaded with old people, police, & geese.
I tried to sig-spam the forums.
ADVANTAGE Motorsports Marketing, Inc. • speedXdesign, Inc.

goatnet
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 9, 2002, 07:44 PM

Send your friend back to Europe, tell him to come back on December 31st and head to Times Square. I did it once, with my best friend and I will never, ever do it again.

I haven't experienced anything quite like it since... I still vividly remember someone hanging onto my shoulder while simoutaniously (sp?) puking down my right leg. I lost my hat, my gloves and my sweatshirt that fine evening. Actually, I didn't "lose" my sweatshirt, I vommited on it, then pawned it off on someone else.

All together, I'd rate it 9.8 on the fun / insanity scale. It was very memorable...

Buuut, if you want fun and sun:

Panama City Beach, FL (Hello Spinnaker's and Club La Villa)
Daytona Beach, FL
Laguna Nigel, CA

They laughed at my Mac, it had no CLI. They laughed at Linux, it had no GUI. I installed MacOS X, and shut them up.

tired
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 10, 2002, 04:03 AM

Visit Lake Havasu in Arizona. Lots of t&a, and lots of booze. A good time can be had by all.

[ 04-10-2002: Message edited by: tired ]

dav
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2002, 11:12 AM

washington d.c. for the 4th
one post closer to five stars

G Barnett
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 10, 2002, 11:22 AM

Originally posted by nonhuman:
<STRONG>

Dear god, I can't believe someone just cast Myrtle Beach in a favorable light. That place is ...horrid. About the only redeeming feature there is a store called "Loose Lucy's" that is apparently trying to emulate a shop on Telegraph Ave. in Berkeley, CA, and that was only worthwhile because it was incredibly funny to my friends and I (who are from Berkeley).

If you do go there, there a restaurant called the Texas something or other. You'll know what I mean if you see it, it's on the main strip. STAY AWAY FROM IT!!!! That was probably the worst dinner I ever spent money on in my life.</STRONG>

Oh, I know full well just how abysmal Myrtle Bitch is; after all, I lived 15 miles away from there for a good 12 years. However, it's the only tourist spot I know personally that fits every requirement he gave, even if only in a "lowest common denominator" sort of way. And honestly, I do have SOME good memories of the place. Of course, those are all from the four summers I worked in a little tourist trap called "Nightmare Haunted House," where I actually got paid to scare the living crap out of tourists. I still can't get over that -- they actually paid US to be mean to them. God, based on how busy that place was, I think I actually have personally scared at least 10,000 people in my life.

*sniff* It was beautiful, man, just beautiful.

Plus, just to the south of MB there's some really nice parks; Huntington Beach state park is well-kept and lots less 'touristy,' and Brookgreen Gardens is an absolute MUST-SEE for all of the statuary there. The rest of the area can fall into the Atlantic for all I care, tho.

G Barnett
Life is like a clay pigeon -- sooner or later, someone is going to shoot you down and even if they miss you'll still wind up shattered and broken in the end.

Forum Links
Forum Rules