Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > 'Most Britons support BNP policies'

'Most Britons support BNP policies'
moodymonster
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2006, 01:30 PM

A majority of people back the British National Party's policies, according to a new poll.

But the YouGov survey found that many people disown the policies once they are associated with the BNP.

The poll, commissioned by Sky News, comes ahead of local elections next week when there are fears the BNP could make an electoral breakthrough.

It found that 59% of people supported a halt to all further immigration to the UK - one of the BNP's main pledges - when they were not told of the far-right group's association with the policy.

Among those who were told that it was a BNP commitment, support for the policy was only 48%.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uklatest/s...778609,00.html

And this is what happens when the gov't don't listen to the people, fascists take advantage.

At the very least we need those Labour tossers out and "new new Labour" ie Conservatives (also tossers) in. Personally I'd like to represented, but I don't have millions of pounds so that's not going to happen.

moodymonster  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2006, 01:35 PM

Once you know what the BNP are really about:

Large majorities dismissed two of the BNP's most hardline ideas. Some 68 per cent refused to support the stance that non-white British citizens are inherently less British than white people. And 52% were opposed to encouraging immigrants and their families to leave Britain.
unfortunately people will go on what they're told which will be what they want to hear. Then if the BNP get any power they'll start to reveal their true policies.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Apr 25, 2006, 01:38 PM

I'm undecided about it... Either it's real and a protest vote (as happens in local elections) or it's New Labour spin to try and gain some kind of tactical advantage (i.e. scare their sit-at-home supporters to go out and vote).

I ain't voting this time. Screw the lot of 'em.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

moodymonster  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2006, 01:44 PM

I didn't consider the Labour spin for fear angle... good thinking batman

Monique
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2006, 03:02 PM

You always have to be careful with polls; because we are talking about a few thousand people; not the entire country. If there is a poll that counts in at the boxes on election day.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Apr 25, 2006, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Monique
You always have to be careful with polls; because we are talking about a few thousand people; not the entire country. If there is a poll that counts in at the boxes on election day.
We're in quite a weird situation at the moment. Almost everybody hates all of the main parties. So it's anyone's guess what's going to happen. These elections coming up are, historically, used for protest votes to let the parties know what the public thinks of them.

Monique
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2006, 04:07 PM

Isn't the BNP too much to the right and too intolerant for most of today's Britons?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Apr 25, 2006, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Monique
Isn't the BNP too much to the right and too intolerant for most of today's Britons?
The BNP is actually left. If you read their manifesto, it's pretty much something which old Labour could have written but with a bit of racism thrown into the mix.

And yes, they're too intolerant for most tastes. Thing is, the people elected in these upcoming local elections don't have any real power, so that's why people use it as a protest vote.

finboy
Apr 26, 2006, 02:17 PM

Geez, I thought it said BNL policies, and figured it was something like "More Kraft Dinner for everyone."

Sorry.

Forum Links
Forum Rules