Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > The Full Apple

The Full Apple
subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 19, 2013, 01:34 AM

I have a friend who breaks her laptops, but (so far) hasn't managed to destroy an iPad.

I'm trying to analyze the viability of her going "post-PC".

In most ways, she's a good candidate. She uses technology for consumption of content, and social stuff. These are naturals for an iPad instead of a full blown laptop. The largest implication I can think of in that regard is having to say farewell to Flash.

A much larger issue I think is a default assumption you can properly handle and spit out MS Word documents if you want a job. People wanting resumes as .doc files, people sending you .doc forms to fill out, etc.

Is there a fix for this problem which "just works"? Pages only sorta works. Some minor formatting translation error could cause a lot of problems. Office 365 on the web?

Solutions? Thoughts? Other things I've missed?

P
Aug 19, 2013, 03:20 AM

I would try iWork on the web - it's in Beta for now, no idea how well it actually works. Google Docs is also an option. Not sure how well Office 365 works on an iPad.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 19, 2013, 04:04 AM

Would web iWork do anything different than regular iWork in terms of playing very nicely with .doc files? Same question with Google Docs.

Regular Pages will get formatting wrong at random times.

P
Aug 19, 2013, 05:42 AM

No idea, but since they're free to try out, you might give it a shot. It's not going to be the same codebase, after all.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2013, 07:06 AM

I use CloudOn to edit MS office docs on iOS devices. Is connects to DropBox, Google Drive, Box, and SkyDrive (not sure why they don't work with iCloud...Apple limitation?) Works like a charm and it's free.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 19, 2013, 06:21 PM

That is intriguing.

Unfortunately I'm starting to get resistance from her in her role as a post-PC guinea pig.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 19, 2013, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
I use CloudOn to edit MS office docs on iOS devices. Is connects to DropBox, Google Drive, Box, and SkyDrive (not sure why they don't work with iCloud...Apple limitation?) Works like a charm and it's free.
I'm pretty sure there are no iCloud APIs for third parties to use. There ought to be though.

Forum Links
Forum Rules