Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > What to do with old Macs? (before I throw them away)

What to do with old Macs? (before I throw them away)
waffffffle
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2004, 08:49 PM

I have two complete, fully working, Mac systems that I am ready to throw away because they have been just taking up space in my house for a couple of years. First is an LC II, complete with matching 12" display, original StyleWriter, 28.8 modem and a number of upgrades (10 MB ethernet card, HD is now 520 MB SCSI - was originally external and I still have that massive case, RAM is 8 MB). The system works great but I have no use for it. I don't know what to do with it since it is so damn slow. I was thinking about trying to instal linux or BSD but that process is so slow and difficult, requires floppies, and network access is extremely difficult to get working. So should I toss it? Is there anything in there that can get me any money on ebay? It seems like the shipping cost would make selling the computer useless.

The second computer is a Performa 6400, which also works fine. It has be upped to 80 MB of RAM and has a PCI ethernet card. It had a 20 GB HD but I took that out to put in an old iMac (which can at least run OS X). It also has a CD burner in the top SCSI drive bay, but I was dumb and tried to cut a slot for the drive out of the top bezel and just ended up making a mess, so the top bezel is off. Everything still works fine. Also this computer is paired with an old DeskWriter 680c (nice and streaky printing, the StyleWriter never had this problem). This machine has a very nice 14" Apple display with built in speakers. Music sounds great on this thing using the built in subwoofer with the display speakers. I was hoping to try and set it up as a player for my iTunes but since iTunes 2 (the last version for OS 9) doesn't do rendezvous sharing, that's a bit harder. Any ideas? This machine is so big that I want to reclaim the space if its just going to sit there useless.

Kami
Sep 18, 2004, 01:34 PM

If you really want an iTunes machine, find a cheap G3 upgrade card for the 6400 and install OS 9.

You could also check out some of the vintage mac forums to see if you can donate/sell your equipment

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 19, 2004, 05:18 AM

Well, the 6400 is certainly still a serviceable machine, fine for people who have basic needs. Whatever you end up doing though, don't just throw the devices out. They should be recycled if you can't find a use for them. (And this advice is coming not from an environmentalist but rather a libertarian republican!)

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

fiesta cat
Forum Regular
Sep 19, 2004, 12:55 PM

Goodwilll takes and can refurbish them (perhaps not the LC II which you might be able to ebay - there are collectors out there who are late to the Mac game and want to look at the old stuff).

Also, perhaps a classic game machine.

Big Mac is right though, the 6400 is serviceable.
www.macgenealogy.org - Genealogy on the Mac

Forum Links
Forum Rules