Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Two Tough Questions

Two Tough Questions
angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 17, 2005, 06:03 AM

Question 1:
If you knew a woman who was pregnant, who had 8 kids already, three who were deaf, two who were blind, one mentally retarded, and she had syphilis; would you recommend that she have an abortion?
Read the next question before scrolling down to the answer of this one.

Question 2:
It is time to elect a new world leader, and your vote counts. Here are the facts about the three candidates:

Candidate A:
Associates with crooked politicians, and consults with astrologists. He's had two mistresses. He also chain smokes and drinks 8 to 10 martinis a day.

Candidate B:
He was kicked out of office twice, sleeps until noon, used opium in college and drinks a quart of whiskey every evening.

Candidate C:
He is a decorated war hero. He's a vegetarian, doesn't smoke, drinks and occasional beer and hasn't had any extramarital affairs.

Which of these candidates would be your choice?

Decide first, no peeking, then scroll down for the answer.

Candidate A is Franklin D. Roosevelt
Candidate B is Winston Churchill
Candidate C is Adolph Hitler

And oh by the way, the answer to the abortion question:
If you said yes, you just killed Beethoven.

Pretty interesting isn't it? Makes a person think before judging someone. Remember amateurs built the ark - Professionals built the Titanic.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Apr 17, 2005, 06:31 AM

Wow, I thought this was a Cody Dawg post for a moment.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 17, 2005, 07:10 AM

---> Moved :: Politics
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Patty
Apr 17, 2005, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by Randman
Wow, I thought this was a Cody Dawg post for a moment.
No, if it were Cody Dog she would've posted a link to this article and explained how upset she was after reading it.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 17, 2005, 07:44 AM

Patty:

Randman
Posting Junkie
Apr 17, 2005, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Patty
No, if it were Cody Dog she would've posted a link to this article and explained how upset she was after reading it.
You are a veteran.

entrox
Senior User
Apr 17, 2005, 03:36 PM

Hitler a decorated war hero? Did I miss something?

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 17, 2005, 03:44 PM

^ Yes. WW1.

entrox
Senior User
Apr 17, 2005, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Mastrap
^ Yes. WW1.
He fought in WW1 after trying to avoid the draft, was wounded several times and never made it past Private (Gefreiter). Calling him a war hero is really stretching it. But this is getting off-topic, so I'll stop here.

itistoday
Professional Poster
Apr 17, 2005, 04:01 PM

Wow. That was cool. The one that really got me was the first question.

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Apr 17, 2005, 04:08 PM

Ha-ha..

Mithras
Professional Poster
Apr 17, 2005, 04:56 PM

I liked it.

Time period is everything, of course: in beethoven's day, everybody had lots of kids, everybody had syphilis, and lots of people were "handicapped." Anyway, I had told her it was her decision, which I stand by.

And for the leaders: holy smokes, people used to drink a LOT, didn't they? My wife and I both picked Churchill, because he sounded like a nice guy. One might argue that Americans have picked their "Churchill" -- in a very limited sense -- today...

andretan
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 17, 2005, 05:15 PM

War hero or not?

Googled a bit and found this: http://www.firstworldwar.com/features/tandey.htm (Look at the para just next to the 3rd picture).
mac.goodies webstore / Switched to an iBook in November 2002. Never looking back.
iBook R.I.P. 20 Nov 2002 - 2 Aug 2005
Hello Leopard! On iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 2GB, iPod 5th gen 30GB and iPhone

Randman
Posting Junkie
Apr 18, 2005, 12:58 AM

Misleading questions. Different eras for question 1. Though his mother's STD led to his deafness and possibly to an early death.

For question 2, you were subjective and listed negative traits for the first two and positive for the last. Now, if you said No 3 was a veggie lover, an unabashed racist who repeatedly forced his underage niece to engage in deviant sexual acts such as defecating on him, then that would still be truthful and skew the results a little more properly.
( Last edited by Randman; Apr 18, 2005 at 05:15 AM. )

analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 18, 2005, 03:41 AM

No 3 ... repeatedly forced his underage cousin to engage in deviant sexual acts such as defecating on him, then that would still be truthful and skew the results a little more properly.
What?

Randman
Posting Junkie
Apr 18, 2005, 04:12 AM

Yep, do a search for Hitler, cousin and it's there. I think she was like 14 but I'm not sure of that.

Also, reports of Hitler and some German actress who wrote in her diary that Adolph told her to kick him and defecate and urinate on him while her masterbated. He never touched her.

Sick dude, besides his extermination policies.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 18, 2005, 04:20 AM

Yep, do a search for Hitler, cousin and it's there. I think she was like 14 but I'm not sure of that.

Also, reports of Hitler and some German actress who wrote in her diary that Adolph told her to kick him and defecate and urinate on him while her masterbated. He never touched her.
Found nothing of the sort.

Never heard anything of the sort, in the probably hundreds of Hitler biographies I've watched on German TV in the past fifteen years.

Link please?

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Apr 18, 2005, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by entrox
He fought in WW1 after trying to avoid the draft, was wounded several times and never made it past Private (Gefreiter). Calling him a war hero is really stretching it. But this is getting off-topic, so I'll stop here.
The reason he wasn't promoted was because he was an Austrian and not a German.(something we often forget)

He was awarded the Iron Cross(second class) in 1915 and the Iron Cross(first class) in 1918.

To those against whom war is made, permission is given (to fight), because they are wronged;- and verily, Allah is most powerful for their aid

Randman
Posting Junkie
Apr 18, 2005, 05:14 AM

Original edit: Niece not cousin.

Link

Other stuff out there as well.

entrox
Senior User
Apr 18, 2005, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by von Wrangell
The reason he wasn't promoted was because he was an Austrian and not a German.(something we often forget)

He was awarded the Iron Cross(second class) in 1915 and the Iron Cross(first class) in 1918.
I know that, but I still wouldn't consider him a war hero. This is probably a subjective thing, but I think it takes a little more than that to be called a hero.

entrox
Senior User
Apr 18, 2005, 05:43 AM

Link

I call BS. This sounds too much like post-facto propaganda to make him look even more evil and twisted than he actually was. I have never heard about this and I also haven't found a single German source talking about it, which leads me to believe that this is nothing more than fantasy.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 18, 2005, 07:00 AM

Link

a) Geli Raubal was 19 years old when she first visited Hitler, not 14.

b) while it seems obvious that he was infatuated with her, it is very unlikely that there was ever any kind of sexual relationship between them (despite rumors). In fact,

c) it was her planned engagement to Hitler's close friend and chauffeur Emil Maurice, and Hitler's subsequent sacking of Maurice and insisting that they wait two years (during which they could only have seen each other in public), until Maurice finally gave up, that very likely led to her suicide, at age 23.

Hitler was evil, and probably one of very few people who could really be called that, but that is no excuse for making sh�t up.

Link (auf deutsch): http://www.8ung.at/xeno/Historisches...li_raubal.html
( Last edited by analogika; Apr 18, 2005 at 07:02 AM. Reason: added link for entrox)

willed
Professional Poster
Apr 18, 2005, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by entrox
I call BS. This sounds too much like post-facto propaganda to make him look even more evil and twisted than he actually was. I have never heard about this and I also haven't found a single German source talking about it, which leads me to believe that this is nothing more than fantasy.
Indeed. The thing that scares people about Hitler is how normal - mundane - he was in many ways. Making him appear more of a monster makes people feel more comfortable.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 18, 2005, 12:21 PM

According to the Learning Channel, Hitler was very uncomfortable around women. He was a moma's boy, for one, and didi not treat his wife well at all. He didn't cheat because he didn't really like women anyway. As far as I know, he wasn't gay.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Apr 18, 2005, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh
According to the Learning Channel, Hitler was very uncomfortable around women. He was a moma's boy, for one, and didi not treat his wife well at all. He didn't cheat because he didn't really like women anyway. As far as I know, he wasn't gay.
Hitler was only actually married for something on the order of five minutes; the ceremony took place just before he committed suicide. This said, his lover is a fascinating subject of study. Anyone else heard the song "Even Hitler Had a Girlfriend" before? (hint: the next line in the song is "So why can't I")
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2005, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Millennium
Anyone else heard the song "Even Hitler Had a Girlfriend" before? (hint: the next line in the song is "So why can't I")
Hey! I was just telling a friend of mine about that song but I can't remember the performer. Do you?

“Building Better Worlds”

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2005, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Weyland-Yutani
Hey! I was just telling a friend of mine about that song but I can't remember the performer. Do you?
Mr. T Experience?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 18, 2005, 02:29 PM

You are a veteran.
A veteran who tries to BS us...

-t

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2005, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by E's Lil Theorem
muchismas gracias

“Building Better Worlds”

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2005, 08:45 PM

no abortion may not be the solution, adoption maybe. but hard to decide without more info. though in my opinion there is nothing wrong with abortion. just that if she never even put any of the other kids up for adoption or anything she probably wouldn't do that anyway. it would just be upsetting for both party's involved. You make such an obvious case for candidate c. and yet i have the feeling that this is a trick question, nevertheless candidate c.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 18, 2005, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by angelmb
Question 1:
Probably not, but that's because I know the answer to Question two, so that skews the the way I look at Q1.

Question 2:
It is time to elect a new world leader, and your vote counts. Here are the facts about the three candidates:

Candidate A:
Associates with crooked politicians, and consults with astrologists. He's had two mistresses. He also chain smokes and drinks 8 to 10 martinis a day.
Franklin Roosevelt was so described. This description lacks a timeline, and is otherwise incomplete.

Candidate B:
He was kicked out of office twice, sleeps until noon, used opium in college and drinks a quart of whiskey every evening.
Failing to mention that Winston Churchil was "kicked out" in parliamentary elections, and that the office he was "kicked out of" was the Prime Minister of the UK, makes this very misleading. He had to get elected as PM twice to fail of reelection...

Candidate C:
He is a decorated war hero. He's a vegetarian, doesn't smoke, drinks and occasional beer and hasn't had any extramarital affairs.
While Hitler was decorated, he wasn't a "hero." In fact he was imprisoned while in the German Army for his lapses in discipline-a time he used to compose "Meine Kampf" I might add.

Which of these candidates would be your choice?
My answer is "NOT C" followed by a request for more information-"where am I while I am choosing, and in what time period." Neither FDR nor Churchil would be suited for the 21st century, though they were impecably suited for their particular time period in their particular locales.

Pretty interesting isn't it? Makes a person think before judging someone. Remember amateurs built the ark - Professionals built the Titanic.
I'll have to point out that these professionals would not have built Titanic if the money people hadn't insisted. It was all about "the very biggest in the world" instead of "the very safest in the world." Having sailed on modern cruise ships, safety is now the #1 priority of not only the captain and crew, but everyone from the designers to the financial backers-all because of the Titanic.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2005, 10:01 PM

Ok so that is extremely biased. hitler had many positive traits, such as he brought germany out of the great depression wonderfully and even made it a world power. he put germany on the map. he helped pioneer many weapons technology's including germ warfare. he started off positively, germany had a treaty with poland. However he became corrupted and joined a group of people called "neonazi's" who believed that their form of rule was the best and it was the only way it was meant to be done, so soon they had a large army, a will, and a surprise.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Apr 18, 2005, 10:25 PM

^ Uh, what?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

CIA
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2005, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by angelmb
Candidate A is Franklin D. Roosevelt
Candidate B is Winston Churchill
Candidate C is Adolph Hitler

And oh by the way, the answer to the abortion question:
If you said yes, you just killed Beethoven.

The Titanic worked just fine untill human error decided to drive to fast and ram a iceberg.

What has Beethoven done for me lately?
Work: 2008 8x3.2 MacPro, 8800GT, 16GB ram, zillions of HDs. (video editing)
Home: 2008 24" 2.8 iMac, 2TB Int, 4GB ram.
Road: 2009 13" 2.26 Macbook Pro, 8GB ram & 640GB WD blue internal
Retired to BOINC only: My trusty never-gonna-die 12" iBook G4 1.25

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 18, 2005, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
While Hitler was decorated, he wasn't a "hero." In fact he was imprisoned while in the German Army for his lapses in discipline-a time he used to compose "Meine Kampf" I might add.
Your history is screwed up. Hitler was imprisoned for his attempted putsch in 1923, not for any lapses of discipline in the army. The book he wrote in prison is called "Mein Kampf".

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 18, 2005, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS
^ Uh, what?
Humour? Idiocy?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Apr 19, 2005, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL
Humour? Idiocy?
It had better be humor, because otherwise it's just F'ed up on so many levels...

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2005, 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by Weyland-Yutani
muchismas gracias
De nada, se�or.

Forum Links
Forum Rules