Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > What is the Largest Hard Drive recognized by a G4

What is the Largest Hard Drive recognized by a G4
macndave
Forum Regular
Feb 17, 2002, 08:56 AM

I am thinking of getting an 133 ATA/IDE PCI card to add two more hard drives for Final Cut Pro and iDVD work. Recently, I saw drives with 180 gigabytes of capcity. Will my G4 Dual 533 recognized drives that large (short of what is lost for formatting)?

I remember reading something over a year ago that Macs would only recognize 120 gigabytes of capacity. I am running OS 10.1, which allows for files over a 1 terabyte.

Currently on the internal bus, I have the OEM 60 gig drive and an IBM Deskstar 75 gig drive. I would like to add two 100 + gig drives and RAID 0 them.

Why all the space needs? I am working on several video/DVD projects at once, each with over 90 minutes of editted video (at this point). Making treatment DVDs along the way.

Thanks, Dave

[ 02-17-2002: Message edited by: macndave ]

1.5Ghz AlBook G4 + 20" Cinema Display
Cable Modem via Airport Express
iSight Enabled @ dmwilsonh

jtc
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 17, 2002, 01:27 PM

ATA/100 (and slower) controllers use 28-bit addressing, which allows it recognize 137 GB. Your dual 533 can use 100 GB drives.

ATA/133 should (I know Maxtor does) use LBA 48 which will allows for 144 PB drives (144 thousand terabytes - not a mis-type).

[ 02-17-2002: Message edited by: jtc ]

Cipher13
Feb 17, 2002, 09:50 PM

Go for a pair of 120 gig drives... they'll be recognised fine.

I wonder if FireWire bypasses this problem? So long as the bridge doesn't set a limitation... hrm. Damn. It probably would.

Jansar
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2002, 10:14 PM

I use an external 80 GB FireWire drive for my movies. It works well, so if you need more space, I would advise on getting a couple of them.
World of Warcraft (Whisperwind - Alliance) <The Eternal Spiral>
Go Dogcows!

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 18, 2002, 12:28 AM

Build your own with a dual drive enclouser you can have over 320 gigs in one little box, (two 160 drives), now that would be sweet, and all over firewire

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

GetSome681
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 18, 2002, 01:13 AM

Do u have a link to that firewire case you're talkin bout? I know they ahve had some good deals on FW cases at compgeeks.com. Also, I remember reading on either MacNN or MacCentral something about a FireWire RAID solution. I'm looking at getting a few 60 or 80 GBers and slapping al those together as a Raid solution to create a huge FAST hard drive to store my mother loads of crap on, and for some digital movie work I plan on doing...any idea of some kind of firewire RAID solution or what? Also would the firewire bus be fast enough for what i plan on putting togther..or should I go with the Sonnet ATA133 Tempo/RAID card...could..but I like the idea of having the drives outside my comp..since I already have two IDE drives and a SCSI drive in there that I want to keep in there...and wouldn't have an easy time fitting 2-3 more drives...thanks for the help..

SkiBikeSki
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 18, 2002, 01:59 AM

Ge the most bang for your buck. FireWire is useful if you're going to be moving the drive to another computer, or if you don't have any more internal bays. A firewire RAID requires you to have two RAID channels, the one in the motherboard and a PCI card.

ATA 100 and slower will not work with drives over 137GB. ATA 133 should but is not garanteed to work with larger drives. The only card I've seen that is garanteed to work is from Promise and is only for wintels.

In my opinion you should get two 120GB 7200 RPM drives from Western Digital. You can choose to get the 8MB buffer or 2MB buffer. I'd couple them together with the Tempo 100RAID. Since the drives are ATA100 I see no reason to get a ATA133 controller. Take a loke at some drive test at BareFeats.
-- SBS --

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Feb 18, 2002, 08:54 PM

SkiBikeSki
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 19, 2002, 03:19 PM

But how fast is the bridge in that enclosure, and does it support RAID, both IDE RAID or FireWire RAID. Also those bridge doards a relativly cheap. I'll mention those boards in the internal FireWire drive topic.
-- SBS --

SkiBikeSki
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 19, 2002, 03:21 PM

BTW The Acard ATA133 and ATA133RAID controller cards do support 48bit. Get the RAID controller, and two 160GB and you're set for life!
-- SBS --

pumpkinapo
Feb 19, 2002, 05:12 PM

You may also take a look at www.firewiredirect.com. All they do is firewire products, including RAID soultions.

[ 02-19-2002: Message edited by: pumpkinapo ]
Peter Leing
17" 1.67GHz PowerBook
450MHz G4 Cube

Forum Links
Forum Rules