Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > D-Link DWB-120M USB Bluetooth Adapter (Temporarily unavailable)

D-Link DWB-120M USB Bluetooth Adapter (Temporarily unavailable)
macndave
Forum Regular
May 20, 2002, 11:45 PM

The D-Link DWB-120M USB Bluetooth Adapter is temporarily unavailable on the Apple Store website. Could this pre-suppose that Apple will soon be releasing an internal Bluetooth solution. A combo 802.11b/Bluetooth card would be great.

What would be even better is to have this possible "combo wireless card" installed on my currently "under review" BTO 800mhz TiBook.

1.5Ghz AlBook G4 + 20" Cinema Display
Cable Modem via Airport Express
iSight Enabled @ dmwilsonh

schmoe
Forum Regular
May 21, 2002, 12:12 PM

Good question! I'm a bit sad over this because I was planning to buy one of the adapters as soon as I got a Bluetooth PDA. I think D-Link is just unable to fulfill their orders. Bet there will be Bluetooth in the next Ti revision though!

Brian Jewett
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 21, 2002, 04:10 PM

Hopefully you saw the statement from MacUserUK that the bluetooth adaptor is out of production and all orders were cancelled. It sounds like they are still having technical problems. This casts some doubt, I would think, whether they will have bluetooth ready any time soon, even MWNY.

http://www.macuser.co.uk/mminute/new...e.php3?id=2014

Too bad, as I was thinking of bluetooth cell phones. Guess I'll use a PC-card interface instead (since we're IR-challenged on the new TiBooks)

macndave  (op)
Forum Regular
May 21, 2002, 08:03 PM

I was able to purchase one of the D-Link adapters a few weeks ago to use with my Palm 505m. Having purchase the Palm Bluetooth adapter, I can say that it works very well with the Apple First and Second Bluetooth software Previews.

I am able to sync from as much as 30 feet from the PowerBook, even when there is not direct line of sight between the Palm and the Pismo. It is a fast (almost as fast as USB in my experience).

I too had considered a Bluetooth Phone (as some as AT&T supports them).

Still hoping for some sort of combo Airport/Bluetooth card though.

1.5Ghz AlBook G4 + 20" Cinema Display
Cable Modem via Airport Express
iSight Enabled @ dmwilsonh

pm223
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 24, 2002, 03:47 AM

I use an acer bluetooth usb adapter. It works fine. I did not have to install any software beside the apple bluetooth preview. It is even cheaper than the announced d-link adapter! No need to wait till apple is ready to sell the item.

mrwalker
Dedicated MacNNer
May 24, 2002, 08:35 PM

Where did you get the Acer bluetooth adapter? Does anyone know of nay other bluetooth adapters that#ll work with the powerbook?

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
May 25, 2002, 01:24 PM

Most USB adapters seem to work (in fact I am yet to hear of one that doesn't )

I personally use the TDK one (which is a bit big, but works perfectly)

Unfortunately the most freely available adapters are the most expensive!

PCMCIA cards will not work (yet) - perhaps once we get 10.1.5

<from ThinkSecret>
"According to sources, a new pre-release build of 10.1.5, marked 5S45, was provided to developers last week. This new build contains further bugfixes to sendmail, Windows filesystem compatibility, Quartz text anti-aliasing, TCP/IP, and writing to MO drives. It also adds PC card support for "generic serial communication," according to company documentation.
"
</from ThinkSecret>

[ 05-25-2002: Message edited by: Diggory Laycock ]

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 12, 2002, 05:31 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by Diggory Laycock:
<strong>
I personally use the TDK one (which is a bit big, but works perfectly)

</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Diggory, please, where to buy the TDK USB adaptor on-line?

Maybe you bought it on a pc retail store?

is this one?
<a href="http://www.tdksystems.com/products/intro.asp?id=4" target="_blank">http://www.tdksystems.com/products/intro.asp?id=4</a>

many thanks

oeyvind
Senior User
Jul 12, 2002, 09:05 PM

Hmmm, there might be some kind of combo WiFi/Bluetooth thing coming our way soon... true or false, I think it's highly possible.

mrwalker
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 13, 2002, 07:06 AM

I'm holding off for a combined airport / bluetooth card & a bluetooth mouse, which I recon will be introduced next week at macworld.

Microsoft announced a bluetooth mouse a few months ago, so there would be a multi-button one on the market too.

How cool would that be? The only wire I'd have for my Tibook would be the power cable.

Forum Links
Forum Rules