Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > old floppies 800k. need advice

old floppies 800k. need advice
�
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 25, 2002, 10:50 AM

Hi, I am just about to buy me an old apple computer, and I need some advice because my knowledge doesn't dig deeper than the imac g3 bondi blue.

I need the mac so i can copy files that are on 800kb dual densitydisks to 1.44mb high density disks. So I will have to build in an extra 1.44mb diskdrive (which i already own of course)
Which model do you guys recommend (complete system with low price and a 800 kb drive)
T E K N O

DrBoar
Senior User
Apr 25, 2002, 02:15 PM

Any Mac with a floppydrive can do this. You do not even need two drives.
You can simply copy all the 800 K floppies as disk images to the HD. Then you can either copy the images to a CD or a ZIP drive, or as well as copy them to 1.44 MB disk

�  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 26, 2002, 03:38 AM

err. ik have an external imation LS120 Superdisk, but that doesn't read 800kb floppies.
T E K N O

BillyB
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 26, 2002, 09:31 PM

Hello �

Get a cheap powermac on eBay. Then you will have a floppy drive that will read 800k disks.

You would like "Bernie ][ the Rescue". It is an Apple ][GS emulation program that runs on a powermac. I still use my GS software on my G3 beige minitower 266mhz!

Check them out at: http://www.bernie.gs
--"When you get to the point where you really understand your computer, it's probably obsolete."

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Apr 27, 2002, 01:04 PM

Any Mac from certain models of the SE all the way up to the beige G3's will do what you want. For what you want to do, I'd say the cheapest way to do this would be to get an old SE, the two-floppy version, with one floppy being an 800K drive and the other being a SuperDrive (my parents have such a machine). If you want a Mac that can be used for more than floppy copying and playing vintage games, though, you might want to go with a beige G3, equip it with a USB card, and connect the Imation drive to it. Using either of these two methods, you can stick the 800K disk in one drive, the 1.4M disk in the other, and simply copy files.

You can, of course, do this on any Mac that has only one built-in floppy drive (as long as it's a 1.4M drive), but you will have to either do a lot of floppy-swapping or do the copy-files-to-the-hard-disk-then-to-the-other-floppy routine.

Hope this helps to some extent.

Charles

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Forum Links
Forum Rules