Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Green Lantern

Green Lantern
lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2011, 11:33 PM

Just watched Green Lantern. Was intending to see X-Men First Class, but the next viewing was a 2 hour wait.

The reviews have been harsh, but I think this was an ok flick. Pretty much on the same level as Thor, really. If you liked Thor, you'd probably like this.

The acting and dialogue is flat, the story is only so-so, with too many elements lifted from other films. Hal Jordan is basically Marverick, with the same "overcoming fear" subplot. Everybody looks down on Hal, including himself, which was a ham-fisted attempt to create tension.

The visuals were much better than I expected. With the exception of the pointless green haze following GL when he's flying, the visual design is great. I think Oa was much more believable than Asgard, for instance. I have no complaints about GL's CGI costume, even though it was a silly place to spend money.

The editing isn't great, but it's a lot like The Dark Knight, where a scene will end with loose ends, like when Batman jumped out the window and we all thought: ok, did the Joker shoot everyone then leave, or did he just leave? Lots of scenes like that. And a few talky scenes should have been cut short.

The defeat of Parallax doesn't make complete sense, but it's no worse than drowning a fusion reaction in a river, and Spiderman 2 is considered a great movie despite such implausible nonsense.

It doesn't pander to the audience with Kirsten Dunst's soaked boobies or Katie Holmes pokey nipples, it doesn't glorify the irresponsible playboy like Iron Man, it doesn't clobber us with "serious" political subtext like V for Vendetta or X-Men. A flawed man overcomes his weakness and becomes a hero. In a genre overwhelmed by "darkness" and pretention, it's a good effort at modernizing the golden age of comics.

It kicks the ass of Spiderman 3 and X-Men 3, at the very least.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2011, 09:06 PM

Ryan Reynolds
we don't have time to stop for gas

Andy8
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2011, 09:17 PM

X-Men First Class was excellent, ties in well with other X-Men films.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2011, 09:28 PM

Someone obviously didn't stay during the credits, or else he/she would have mentioned how it tied the story line together more..... OP

andi*pandi
Jun 24, 2011, 10:20 PM

As long as its better than Green Hornet, so very cringeworthy.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jun 25, 2011, 11:19 AM

I got halfway through Green Hornet and fell asleep. Wife asked two days ago when we were looking at RedBox if we should finish "that green movie." I passed.

lpkmckenna  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2011, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
Someone obviously didn't stay during the credits, or else he/she would have mentioned how it tied the story line together more..... OP
I don't know why your assumption is so obvious, especially since I did stay til the end of the credits.

LaGow
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 26, 2011, 11:40 AM

"Did you think I wouldn't recognize you because your cheekbones were covered?"

Finally, the silliness of comic book masks is acknowledged. Let's face it, anyone who knew Bruce Wayne would immediately recognize him under the cowl, so GL's mask is all the more ludicrous (and Clark Kent's glasses--are you kidding me?).

It was the small moments like that that made the film fun for me. Overall, I had a great time.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jun 26, 2011, 01:35 PM

It was okay, not great, but it didn't make me cringe as much as I thought it would. It needed better editing in most parts, and more exposition in others, but overall it wasn't awful.

Her recognizing him in his mask was really good, was a nice twist.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2011, 07:52 PM

we don't have time to stop for gas

Brien
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2011, 08:16 PM

Good. Sinestro corps war/blackest night here we come!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 27, 2011, 01:44 PM

I was interested in the movie, but after the 10 millionth time I saw one of the commercials it suddenly dawned on me that it reeked of Star Wars prequelitis – all CG – and my interest waned.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 27, 2011, 03:40 PM

What about the space chicken?

Reference.

Forum Links
Forum Rules