Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Too much extentions, Help!

Too much extentions, Help!
NeonBoy
Oct 11, 1999, 10:00 PM

I want to trash some extentions, so help me out because it is slowing up my mac.

To only play music on my PowerMac, do I really need all of this extenstion?

�Apple CD/DVD Driver
�Audio CD Access
�Foreign File Access
�High Sierra File Access
�UDF Volume Access
�ISO 9660 File Access

Another thing is if I have QuickDraw Extensions or OpenGL Extensions turn on will it make 3D Softwares run faster or speed improvement on my computer?

Aprreciated!
-NeonBoy

wlonh
Professional Poster
Oct 12, 1999, 04:36 AM

�Apple CD/DVD Driver
�Audio CD Access
�Foreign File Access
�High Sierra File Access
�UDF Volume Access
�ISO 9660 File Access

yes you need those for CD play...
and you must know it, or else you would not have come up with the complete list of files necessary to play music...

http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n20701 http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n58361
QuickDraw, OpenGL... i don't not know what you do with your computer, but leave QuickDraw on for sure (yes 3D) but you may not need OpenGL (yes 3D) unless you are a gamer. I'm not. They both (QuickDraw, OpenGL) are related to certain acceleration issues.

if you have QuickDrawGX, disable it.
(and I caution anyone to NOT DELETE inits, etc., but just DISABLE them unless you have such a tiny HD that you MUST have the space)

you do NOT need all the sprockets that get installed in OS 8.6... the names of the sprockets will clue you as to whether you need them, i.e, do you have a 'ThrustMaster'? no? then turn that sprocket off! http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n24866

[This message has been edited by wlonh (edited 10-12-1999).]

normyzo
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 12, 1999, 02:41 PM

Actually, you don't really need the UDF Volume access if you *don't* have a DVD drive. I've got system 8.1 with no DVD and its not enabled for me. The rest of them you should keep. It does sound like you've got a newer computer, or else you wouldn't have the CD/DVD driver extension. Also, unless you are playing 3d games, you can turn off the QuickDraw3D stuff. However, these do provide accelleration for 3d games, so if you regularly use them, keep the extensions on. Like wlonh said, you can turn off all those Input Sprocket extensions, except for InputSprocket Keyboard and InputSprocket Mouse, unless you do have something like a Gravis stick. The OpenGL stuff can be turned off as well without problem, unless you want to play many of the newer PC game ports.

Cheers,
Dan

Forum Links
Forum Rules