Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Networking Jaguar with XP

Networking Jaguar with XP
xpedian
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 5, 2002, 01:46 PM

I bought Jaguar -- my first foray into OS X -- mostly because Apple's and other's claims of transparent networking with Windows. I have a peer-to-peer network with a PC running XP and, of course, a Mac running OS 10.2...I figured, why spend $120 bucks on Dave, when OS 10.2 has similar capabilites built in...

Anyway, I had read a review where the author claimed it took him only 10 minutes to set his Mac/PC network up, but I've been at it for many frustrating hours, to no avail...

Me not being a techie by any means, I was wondering if there's anyone out there who might be able to walk me through the process with a reasonable degree of detail, for both Jaguar and XP. Apple's Help Center is woefully sparse on detail, which is odd. I'd have thought they'd have printed a roadmap for this feature...I would greatly appreciate any help...

Thanks,
wedge

Drizzt
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2002, 02:01 PM

Tell me what you've done.. I'll try to help from there..

asmujica
Forum Regular
Sep 5, 2002, 02:03 PM

I know what you mean......

Here it goes, set all your computers on the same workgroup. You can define the macs workgroup in the directory access app under the name smb.

Then, just click connect to and the networked machines should appear there without a problem.

Also make sure you have ipx, netbeui, tcp/ip and windows file and printer sharing on the windows box.

Drizzt
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2002, 02:53 PM

make shure TCP/IP is well configured also..

Brass
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2002, 11:23 PM

On the Mac, make sure that Windows access is enabled in at least TWO places that I can think of (off the top of my head):

In the "Users" System preferences, make sure that you've selected the checkbox for each user to be allowed to connect from Windows.

In the "Sharing" System preferences, make sure you've got Windows (SMB) sharing turned on.

NB: SMB browsing on the Mac appears to only work well on the local subnet. To get any more than that you've got to specify the URL in the connect dialog, and these URLs can be cryptic.

Also, SMB on the Mac only works over TCP/IP. Some windows setups can be configured to do SMP over things other than TCP/IP (eg, NetBEUI), which makes it impossible to do SMB with the standard Mac SMB.

foppie
Sep 6, 2002, 05:16 AM

i've had the same problem, even when i used dave. be sure that the ip-addresses somewhat match. like 10.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.10.
I once was lost in a dark world
iMac 15" 800
iMac 17" 1.8

xpedian  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 12, 2002, 12:54 AM

Thanks everyone for your help...I've gotten it working fine, except for the fact that my PC can only see my user folder, and all of its nesting folders, on my Mac, totally bypassing another hard drive, and the rest of the boot drive. I do believe that the sharing preferences are the same for everything on my Mac, so I'm confused...any ideas?

xpedian

K++
Senior User
Sep 12, 2002, 03:04 AM

You just ran into what i've been trying to figure out. Mac OS X seems to export only your user's folder out on all protocols (ftp,smb,appletalk,etc.) I want to find where is the magic place I can make it share my whole HD over SMB, or what I actually want which is a public share.

frawgz
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 12, 2002, 03:24 AM

Does the username/password on Windows have to identical to the setup on the Mac in order to login through SMB? I've gotten to the point where I can see my share in the Network Neighborhood, but it says the password I enter in is incorrect.

K++
Senior User
Sep 12, 2002, 03:35 AM

I don't bother with that I use a public share. You set one up on the windows side by right clicking and selecting sharing & security. then click the proper options and settings. Then when you log in from te mac just leave the password blank.

Sophus
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 12, 2002, 06:49 AM

Originally posted by K++:
You just ran into what i've been trying to figure out. Mac OS X seems to export only your user's folder out on all protocols (ftp,smb,appletalk,etc.) I want to find where is the magic place I can make it share my whole HD over SMB, or what I actually want which is a public share.
Go download and install the Samba Sharing Package (SSP) from Xamba. This has the features you are looking for. read the instructions carefully. It is written by Derk-Jan Hartman, member on this board. Very good app for controlling samba sharing.

Sophus
( Last edited by Sophus; Sep 12, 2002 at 06:55 AM. )

Oneota
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2002, 11:36 AM

Is there an easy way to get an OS X box to do NetBIOS? We're running an interface to connect our network's SMB network to the web, but it needs a reliable NetBIOS server to function, and I don't think OS X's built-in SMB server does that function. It may win the elections, but it doesn't seem to do anything once it's been elected.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

shadybirdstan
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 12, 2002, 11:49 AM

Originally posted by Brass:
In the "Users" System preferences, make sure that you've selected the checkbox for each user to be allowed to connect from Windows.
What happened to the "Users" option in system preferences? I see My Account but not a "Users" icon.

Thanks.

noisefloor
Forum Regular
Sep 12, 2002, 01:23 PM

"What happened to the "Users" option in system preferences?"

It's now called Accounts. (am I the only one who has trouble trying to find things in those panels?)

The DJ
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 12, 2002, 06:50 PM

Originally posted by Oneota:
Is there an easy way to get an OS X box to do NetBIOS? We're running an interface to connect our network's SMB network to the web, but it needs a reliable NetBIOS server to function, and I don't think OS X's built-in SMB server does that function. It may win the elections, but it doesn't seem to do anything once it's been elected.
It's is because you are running a firewall i think. The firewall as defined by apple and also the one Brickhouse uses, does not let broadcast traffic pass, which is needed for netbios name resolution.

DJ

Derk-Jan Hartman, Student of the University Twente (NL), developer of VLC media player

Sophus
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 12, 2002, 07:29 PM

Originally posted by Oneota:
Again, check this out. Go to versiontracker and download:

Go download and install the Samba Sharing Package (SSP) from Xamba. This has the features you are looking for. read the instructions carefully. It is written by Derk-Jan Hartman, member on this board. Very good app for controlling samba sharing.

Sophus

xpedian  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 14, 2002, 01:37 AM

Originally posted by Sophus:

Sophus
Thanks! Problem solved...sorta...now if I could get XP to log onto my Macs drives in moments instead of minutes, I'd be happy...also, things're a bit bumpy, seemingly. If I map a drive, then XP will freeze on startup, presumably when it's trying to remount the Mac. Also, like I said, it takes many minutes -- approaching a half hour sometimes -- for my PC to see my Mac in it's Network Neighborhood, even though my Mac's already logged onto the PC successfully...my head's a spinnin!

xpedian  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 14, 2002, 01:43 AM

Originally posted by Sophus:

Sophus
Thanks! Problem solved...sorta...now if I could get XP to log onto my Macs drives in moments instead of minutes, I'd be happy...also, things're a bit bumpy, seemingly. If I map a drive, then XP will freeze on startup, presumably when it's trying to remount the Mac. Also, like I said, it takes many minutes -- approaching a half hour sometimes -- for my PC to see my Mac in it's Network Neighborhood, even though my Mac's already logged onto the PC successfully...my head's a spinnin!

xpedian  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 14, 2002, 08:57 PM

uhhh...

Forum Links
Forum Rules