Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Keynote is it really??

Keynote is it really??
wrwjpn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2003, 07:54 AM

What I want to know is if I create a presentation in Keynote is
1. Does it really save as Powerpoint format (ppt)?
2. Will the really cool stuff I can do in Keynote be viewable in
PowerPoint?
3. Is this also possible for coverting to Windows PowerPoint?

As the university I teach at uses windows, but all my presentations are done on my Mac and then shown on PCs. By the way I teach Presentation classes using PowerPoint. So this is really important for me as I use my Mac for all presentations I give and use.

Thanks
Bill

ngrundy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 14, 2003, 08:33 AM

1. if it says so i'd say it does
2. some of the transition effects like the 3D cube may not come accross as they are done by the QuarzExtreme engine in real time.
3. the office document formats are the same on both platforms these days.
1Ghz Powerbook
40gb/1x512mb/combo/T68i
FireRAID 1 Host Independant Hotswap RAID 1 (80gb)

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2003, 08:48 AM

IT opens powerpoint files, and the interesting things is that you can use the same text on both programs, but the text in Keynote will just.. FEEL better, i guess is the right word, it comes off better..... and the 3d transitions made a windows friend of mine say "wow, that is really high quality"

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2003, 09:13 AM

I'm interested in trying Keynote out, but at $100 it's still a little expensive. Apple should have tried to make it less expensive (it's only $50 for educators, so it's much less expensive then PowerPoint X for Mac [it's $129.95 on the Apple site!]

I would hate to see Keynote die because of price. (It's not going to die, but you know...)

I'm considering doing the "pirate" thing and evaluate weather or not it's worth it before jumping in... Sad but true.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 14, 2003, 10:24 AM

The better fonts and backgrounds are saved in powerpoint files.

Importing ppt files back into Keynote works, but is not ideal. Some issues.

Video files I've tried are silky smooth in PPT, but are useless in Keynote - stutter.

The transitions in Keynote are not used in PPT.

Overall I find it nicer than PowerPoint, but not perfect. I may try Keynote for some presentations, but I think I'll still be having a PPT backup if I do, for compatibility reasons (ie. if my TiBook explodes or something).

kman42
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2003, 12:48 PM

What does it mean when a slide is tabbed over underneath another slide in the 'outline' view on the left. Do effects applied to the 'root' slide get propagated to every slide beneath it? Are the root slides Masters?

kman

Guy Incognito
Banned
Jan 14, 2003, 01:03 PM

The video stutter problem is not wide-spread...I've dragged and dropped a 13mb .mov of Finding Nemo when I had a chance to test Keynote and it played smoothly.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 14, 2003, 02:13 PM

Originally posted by Guy Incognito:
The video stutter problem is not wide-spread...I've dragged and dropped a 13mb .mov of Finding Nemo when I had a chance to test Keynote and it played smoothly.
Maybe it's a file type thing. I'll try exporting to .mov and see if that helps. (My tested files were MPEG-2.)

gregpins
Forum Regular
Jan 14, 2003, 02:59 PM

What hardware did you use?

I'm not sure what basis there is for saying whether the problem is widespread or not. There is quite a bit of feedback on the issue in the Keynote thread on Macintouch.

Most users will not experience the problem because they don't embed video. Others will not experience the problem because they have hardware which overcomes it. Hower, a user on Macintouch reported having video stutter and poor performance on a brand new gigabook. And there certainly a lot of folks with "older" hardware (like my TiBook 550) which have experienced the glitch.

To be clear, is not a per s� a Keynote problem, as PPT X has the same the issue. It is not a hardware problem: PPT presentations with embeded video run great in OS 9. It is an OS X problem, and I am pleading with Apple to solve it.

One work-around -- you can export from Keynote to Quicktime, and assuming the video you have embedded was encoded right, run your presentation using Quicktime. The display quality is lower, but it does work. The drawback is that exporting a large presenation to Quicktime can take quite a while and result in a huge file (one I did was 140 mb).

This can be a big problem if you work in a fast-paced business where you are often tweaking presentations right up the last minute or need to e-mail a presentation to someone else.

Just one man's opinion.

sandman
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 14, 2003, 03:26 PM

Speaking of Finding Nemo, after seeing Jobs go to the website during his keynote, I went to the site in Safari, and apparently it doesn't have the plug-in to play the QUICKTIME movie trailer. What's going on here?
sandman
17" PowerBook/OS X.4.2/60GB/1G/Airport Express/iPod 20GB (Click Wheel)

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2003, 03:59 PM

Originally posted by sandman:
Speaking of Finding Nemo, after seeing Jobs go to the website during his keynote, I went to the site in Safari, and apparently it doesn't have the plug-in to play the QUICKTIME movie trailer. What's going on here?
It sounds like you went to www.findingnemo.com which is a Disney site. Their site does not specify the mime-type of the QuickTime movies, so Safari doesn't know what they are. It works if you go to Apple's site, http://www.apple.com/trailers/disney/finding_nemo/, or Pixar's site, http://www.pixar.com/featurefilms/nemo/index.html. Steve went to either the Apple or Pixar site during the keynote.
Vandelay Industries

Guy Incognito
Banned
Jan 14, 2003, 05:42 PM

Originally posted by gregpins:
What hardware did you use?
Dual 800 G4. I hope Apple resolves this for the people that are experiencing these stutters.

wrwjpn  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2003, 05:50 PM

Thanks all for your help.
I guess I'll just have to get a copy to evaluate and test to see how many of the features are cross compatiable then make the decision. I am really impressed with what is possible with Keynote and the limitations of PPT are really pitiful. Well, what should I expect form Micro$oft. But like I said my university is still in the PC world. But they are learning the benefits of Linux, which is my second choice of OS after OSX.

Bill

solitere
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 14, 2003, 05:58 PM

I feature that I miss in Keynote that is found in Powerpoint is url-linking. Othervise Keynote rocks in every aspect. And of cource a crossplattform player would also be nice.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2003, 06:04 PM

Originally posted by solitere:
And of cource a crossplattform player would also be nice.
That's what QuickTime export is for.
Vandelay Industries

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 14, 2003, 06:11 PM

Most users will not experience the problem because they don't embed video. Others will not experience the problem because they have hardware which overcomes it. Hower, a user on Macintouch reported having video stutter and poor performance on a brand new gigabook. And there certainly a lot of folks with "older" hardware (like my TiBook 550) which have experienced the glitch.

To be clear, is not a per s� a Keynote problem, as PPT X has the same the issue. It is not a hardware problem: PPT presentations with embeded video run great in OS 9. It is an OS X problem, and I am pleading with Apple to solve it.
Like I said before, I don't have this problem in PPT X, but I'm using a GHz TiBook. Keynote stutters like mad with the same clip. So it's both a hardware and a software problem in a sense. Your hardware isn't good enough for PPT X, but mine is. OTOH, even the fastest laptop hardware (ie. my GHz TiBook) won't overcome the problems with Keynote, and thus I view that as a Keynote problem.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to test .mov files of these clips just yet. I have to do some fiddling. If I use QT Pro to directly convert the clip to .mov I lose the sound from my clips. Very irritating. I suspect I'll have to demux the .mpg files and then remix them and then convert them to .mov to get Keynote to accept it.

solitere
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 14, 2003, 06:43 PM

Originally posted by Art Vandelay:
That's what QuickTime export is for.

Yes quicktime works but not perfectly...I have sure tryed.

kman42
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2003, 06:48 PM

What's with the different slide size settings? What's the default for PPT? Shouldn't it scale automatically for whatever the output device is? A lot of times you don't have control of the projector being used.

kman

gregpins
Forum Regular
Jan 14, 2003, 07:48 PM

Originally posted by Eug:
Like I said before, I don't have this problem in PPT X, but I'm using a GHz TiBook. Keynote stutters like mad with the same clip. So it's both a hardware and a software problem in a sense. Your hardware isn't good enough for PPT X, but mine is. OTOH, even the fastest laptop hardware (ie. my GHz TiBook) won't overcome the problems with Keynote, and thus I view that as a Keynote problem.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to test .mov files of these clips just yet. I have to do some fiddling. If I use QT Pro to directly convert the clip to .mov I lose the sound from my clips. Very irritating. I suspect I'll have to demux the .mpg files and then remix them and then convert them to .mov to get Keynote to accept it.
Yes, that's what I meant by needing a properly encoded clip. Glad to know I'm not the only who's experienced the loss of sound. I had my production people demux and remix. I got sound back, but it loses sync when the show is exported to Quicktime.

Really hope Keynote matures quickly and that this OS X issue gets solved.

DannyVTim
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 14, 2003, 08:00 PM

To address the original posters question, it seems to save to an earl version of PP. I would guess they wanted it to be as compatable as possible. It does a far job of saving to the equivelent in PP. You really need to try it out for yourself to judge, but as I said is seems to save to an early version of PP, so things are lost in the save.
Dan

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 15, 2003, 02:02 AM

Originally posted by gregpins:
Yes, that's what I meant by needing a properly encoded clip. Glad to know I'm not the only who's experienced the loss of sound. I had my production people demux and remix. I got sound back, but it loses sync when the show is exported to Quicktime.

Really hope Keynote matures quickly and that this OS X issue gets solved.
OK.

1) .mpg demuxed to video and audio using ffmpegX
2) audio converted to aif using iTunes
3) video converted to .dv with QT Pro
4) audio and video dropped into iMovie and exported as iDVD .mov.
5) .mov dropped into Keynote presentation.

End result? Video still very choppy. Well, it's better than the original file, which was barely a slideshow itself, but even after all this manipulation, the video clip is unusable. It went from (guess) 3 fps to 10 fps or something silly like that.

By the way, is there a memory leak or something somewhere? Several times after running Keynote, PowerPoint just hangs at startup. I haven't noticed this at other times. Or is just coincidence?

unixinit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 15, 2003, 02:18 AM

Originally posted by kman42:
What's with the different slide size settings? What's the default for PPT? Shouldn't it scale automatically for whatever the output device is? A lot of times you don't have control of the projector being used.

kman
Seconded!! Wake up Apple!
And, at least let us work on a smaller version of the slides. I create my slideshows in 1024x768 (for now) but then I'm forced to work basically full-screen because Keynote won't scale down to say 50% size!

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2003, 02:56 AM

Originally posted by kman42:

kman
You can set it to scale in the preferences.
Vandelay Industries

Forum Links
Forum Rules