Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > huge CD archive library for design firm

huge CD archive library for design firm
deaconMPG
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 3, 2003, 06:39 PM

OK the low down is right now I have over 200 CD's in my company's design archive. The best part is when I sign on as the tech here they use Iomega's Findit as a way of finding files in the CD library.

Now I looked on version tracker and I know there are some shareware programs that will take the place of Findit.

But I was thinking it would be great if the designers could just look the files up from a database that they can reach from their own 'puters. So I was thinking maybe Sherlock could index all the CD's and I could make a plugin to update everyonce in a while. But then I would need to re-index all the CD's instead of just pulling from the Find-It database.

So I am looking for an upgrade that would allow users to search from their own computers in anyway either shelock or some software. But hints and ideas on how to make the shelock pluggin would be cool because I have no idea.

Any thoughts would be great

gadster
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2003, 09:56 AM

Originally posted by deaconMPG:
OK the low down is right now I have over 200 CD's in my company's design archive. The best part is when I sign on as the tech here they use Iomega's Findit as a way of finding files in the CD library.

Now I looked on version tracker and I know there are some shareware programs that will take the place of Findit.

But I was thinking it would be great if the designers could just look the files up from a database that they can reach from their own 'puters. So I was thinking maybe Sherlock could index all the CD's and I could make a plugin to update everyonce in a while. But then I would need to re-index all the CD's instead of just pulling from the Find-It database.

So I am looking for an upgrade that would allow users to search from their own computers in anyway either shelock or some software. But hints and ideas on how to make the shelock pluggin would be cool because I have no idea.

Any thoughts would be great
From what I can tell, CD Finder is much faster than Sherlock. Even for local HDs! Get a junior to spend half a day recataloging the CDs, then keep the catalog files on a server (or keep local volumes up to date manually). When someone at work archives, they email the catalog files to everyone.

I can definitely recommend this product: http://www.cdfinder.de/

We use this solution at work and it works well. You can even assign names to the CDs regardless of what they were called when they were burned.

Enjoy.
e-gads

Forum Links
Forum Rules