Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Music cartoons!?!

Music cartoons!?!
Griggsy
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 7, 2003, 10:36 AM

Can anyone remember the names of some cartoon shorts made in the 50/60's they depicted music as colours, shapes notes ,etc.

I think they were by warners but for the life of me I can't remember who made them.

Any pointers
Torn apart by the wood peckers of mistrust t0 not have this happen 2 u visit guinea pig::the life of a mac designer::

Nonsuch
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2003, 10:56 AM

Do you mean cartoon shorts? The opening segment of Fantasia did something like this.
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

-- Frederick Douglass, 1857

Osirisis
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 7, 2003, 10:56 AM

Not sure I remember anything like that. I know Fantasia had some sections like that.

Griggsy  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 7, 2003, 11:11 AM

Nah they were standalone, one was quite jazzy, the other used classical they could even have been MGM, they were kinda a precursor to the saul bass style
Torn apart by the wood peckers of mistrust t0 not have this happen 2 u visit guinea pig::the life of a mac designer::

AB^2=BCxAC
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 7, 2003, 12:17 PM

Canada's Norman Mclaren did some jazzy freestyle animations to music in that era... most of them are considered classics.

See a list with thumbnails here
"I stand accused, just like you, for being born without a silver spoon." Richard Ashcroft

Forum Links
Forum Rules