Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > World of Warcraft for Mac OS X? Wow!

World of Warcraft for Mac OS X? Wow!
JB72
Mac Elite
May 14, 2003, 06:03 PM

WoW Mac OS X Press announcement

I'm surprised I'm the first one to post about this here. This is huge news.

I don't play many games anymore, but WoW I'm definately looking forward to.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
May 14, 2003, 06:55 PM

Awesome! I hope PPC 970 will come out first before it so I won't be missing any fun

JB72  (op)
Mac Elite
May 14, 2003, 07:04 PM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:
Awesome! I hope PPC 970 will come out first before it so I won't be missing any fun
Waiting for the 970 to upgrade? Well maybe you could play on wimpy 4 color mode until the new PowerMacs come out.

Actually I think it we'll be looking at 2004 (Year of the desktop) before we see either WoW or the 970, IMHO.

Still, WoW is great news. Blizzard makes top notch games.

theory
Dedicated MacNNer
May 14, 2003, 08:43 PM

WOW WoW is cool
I can't wait till it comes out.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
May 14, 2003, 09:39 PM

Blizzard is the best Mac games developer today. Through thick and thin they've stayed with us and it looks like that attitude will continue. to Blizzard!
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

iamnid
Senior User
May 15, 2003, 12:14 AM

I hope you're joking... Warcraft III ran perfectly on my 733mhz G4 w/ radeon 8500... why would we need the 970 to expect good performance for World Of Warcraft?

mac freak
Mac Elite
May 15, 2003, 02:19 AM

Who DIDN'T expect a Mac version of WoW? Has Blizzard released a single (non-console) game in the last 10 years that wasn't multiplatform?
Be happy.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
May 15, 2003, 02:25 AM

Originally posted by iamnid:
I hope you're joking... Warcraft III ran perfectly on my 733mhz G4 w/ radeon 8500... why would we need the 970 to expect good performance for World Of Warcraft?
WoW is going to be very different from WC3. I would imagine that it's going to be pretty taxing on the CPU/GPU. And having a great CPU (970) will make WoW kick much ass.

Personally I can't wait for this title! I am a Blizzard Junkie and have been a fan of the Warcraft series for many years. I commend Blizzard for sticking with the Mac for so long while so many others jumped ship.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
May 15, 2003, 03:41 PM

Originally posted by iamnid:
I'm on TiG4 400mhz with ATI Rage 128 Pro, 8MB of Video Memory. Does this answer your question?

parsec_kadets
Senior User
May 15, 2003, 03:48 PM

Originally posted by ::maroma:::
WoW is going to be very different from WC3. I would imagine that it's going to be pretty taxing on the CPU/GPU. And having a great CPU (970) will make WoW kick much ass.

Personally I can't wait for this title! I am a Blizzard Junkie and have been a fan of the Warcraft series for many years. I commend Blizzard for sticking with the Mac for so long while so many others jumped ship.

It may be more taxing, but it can't be that much more taxing considering they're using PowerMacs to demo the game at E3 this week. What I'm not looking forward to is the monthly fee that Blizzard says they'll be charging. Really this is just going to be another EQ.

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
May 15, 2003, 05:04 PM

Originally posted by parsec_kadets:
It may be more taxing, but it can't be that much more taxing considering they're using PowerMacs to demo the game at E3 this week. What I'm not looking forward to is the monthly fee that Blizzard says they'll be charging. Really this is just going to be another EQ.
If a monthly fee keeps the morons off of WoW, I'm all for it.
I can't wait for this game.
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

a2daj
Mac Elite
May 15, 2003, 06:47 PM

It will only keep away the poor morons. The rich morons will still have access. Considering how much time I might be playing a mmorpg and comparing how much I pay for cable TV and use that, a subscription based mmorpg is much more cost effective.

Guy Incognito 2
Banned
May 15, 2003, 08:07 PM

So gizzard...how's WoW lookin'?

Wet Jimmy
Mac Enthusiast
May 15, 2003, 08:49 PM

This is incredibly god news! At the end of the day I could play it on my PC, but if it's on the Mac, then I can take it everywhere with me!

YAY!

Guy Incognito 2
Banned
May 15, 2003, 08:54 PM

Originally posted by Wet Jimmy:
...then I can take it everywhere with me!
Everywhere where there's a good internet connection.

iamnid
Senior User
May 15, 2003, 10:34 PM

I'm on TiG4 400mhz with ATI Rage 128 Pro, 8MB of Video Memory. Does this answer your question?
well I can understand why you need a better computer to play it, but all I was saying is that I doubt a 970 will be necessary to get good performance out of WoW.

gizzard
Dedicated MacNNer
May 16, 2003, 12:31 AM

It looks exactly the same as the PC version. It's not running very smoothly (20-30 FPS), but it's a developmental version. Of course, I'm hoping it'll be running nice and fast by the time it's released. I played for 10 minutes and I was hooked. It's so easy to learn and get into. If you liked Diablo 1/2, you'll love this game. Blizzard's got my $10 a month already.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2003, 03:33 AM

Originally posted by gizzard:
It looks exactly the same as the PC version. It's not running very smoothly (20-30 FPS), but it's a developmental version. Of course, I'm hoping it'll be running nice and fast by the time it's released. I played for 10 minutes and I was hooked. It's so easy to learn and get into. If you liked Diablo 1/2, you'll love this game. Blizzard's got my $10 a month already.
Damn! Sound good!

I'm reallly surprised that they already have a mac version on par with Windows version.. Wasn't expecting that one

JB72  (op)
Mac Elite
May 16, 2003, 04:59 AM

Originally posted by parsec_kadets:
It may be more taxing, but it can't be that much more taxing considering they're using PowerMacs to demo the game at E3 this week.
Really? Any pics?

Forum Links
Forum Rules