Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > crystal or opaque white battery?

crystal or opaque white battery?
blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2003, 10:06 PM

i have an iBook 500 mhz, Dual USB, 8mb Video Card Laptop

which battery do i buy the crystal white or opaque white?

what funny is apple also says my yoyo ac adapter isnt for my ibook, but it came w/ one
Apple II GS | Powerbook 165 | iMac Rev. A 96mb RAM| iBook G3 500mhz, 128mb RAM | Power Macintosh G5 1.6ghz, 2.25gb RAM | Black MacBook 2ghz, 2gb RAM | iPhone Rev. A 8gb HD

ccsccs7
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 6, 2003, 06:31 AM

The crystal would most match you 500MHz iBook (which would be crystal, unless you want a battery that doesn't look like it belongs).
12" Powerbook 1.5GHz/SuperDrive, 1.25GB Ram, 80GB HD, Airport Extreme, Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger
iBook (Late 2001)600MHz/Combo, 640MB RAM, 20GB HD, Airport, Mac OS X 10.3.9 Panther — web server

jamester
Forum Regular
Jul 6, 2003, 12:37 PM

My iBook also came with the yoyo ac adaptor... seems to charge just fine, if a little slow. Is there much difference between the yoyo ac adaptor and the small square white one?

J
2.4GHz Macbook. 22" LCD. External 640GB HD. Yum.

blackbird_1.0  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2003, 01:36 PM

yeah, voltage, its just that i noticed that the product description said that it was only for the clamshell ibook alone... thats all
Apple II GS | Powerbook 165 | iMac Rev. A 96mb RAM| iBook G3 500mhz, 128mb RAM | Power Macintosh G5 1.6ghz, 2.25gb RAM | Black MacBook 2ghz, 2gb RAM | iPhone Rev. A 8gb HD

pat++
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2003, 02:01 PM

I got the yoyo too with my 500Mhz iBook. I think they changed the AC adapter with the 600Mhz revision. From what I've seen the new white brick adapter gets much hotter than the yoyo. Maybe this was just a defective adapter... (seen with 700Mhz iBook).

The white adapter has an orange/green light on the connector which indicate wether the battery is fully charged (green) or charging (orange). The yoyo doesn't have this...

jamester
Forum Regular
Jul 6, 2003, 03:35 PM

But there's nothing fundamentally different that would hose my iBook or it's battery, if I have a white 600 and a yoyo adaptor, right? I hate the idea of shelling out another $60 for the white adaptor.

Should be the only side effect is the yoyo charges a bit slower, right?

J
2.4GHz Macbook. 22" LCD. External 640GB HD. Yum.

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2003, 05:27 PM

The yo-yo works fine compared to the new white charger. I tested on my and my GF's 500 iBooks. From a fully drained battery, it only took 5 min longer to charge from the yo-yo. Don't waste your money on the new one - I think it seems "flimsier" than the yo-yo, albeit smaller.

As for which battery to buy - both work. I have a new one with my older 500. The color is a bit off, but I'd rather have a new manufacture than one that's been sitting in a warehouse since the first 500s rolled off the line...

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2003, 07:21 PM

Originally posted by rozwado1:
As for which battery to buy - both work. I have a new one with my older 500. The color is a bit off, but I'd rather have a new manufacture than one that's been sitting in a warehouse since the first 500s rolled off the line...
The "crystal" style iBooks lasted through the most recent rev a few months ago. They've been producing them for the 500's, 600's, 700's, and 800's.

iamnid
Senior User
Jul 8, 2003, 06:17 PM

Originally posted by blackbird_1.0:
yeah, voltage, its just that i noticed that the product description said that it was only for the clamshell ibook alone... thats all

Wrong wrong wrong. True, the clamshell ibook had a yo-yo adapter, but the first dual usb ibooks also had a yoyo adapter that was DIFFERENT than the yoyo used for the clamshells. Powerbooks around that time also had yoyo adapters.

I have a 500mhz dual usb ibook and the new 900mhz ibook. I interchange the adapters all the time (yoyo with my 900 and whitebox with my 500) there's essentially no difference apart from form factor and that the newer one shows you whether or not it is charging via a multi-colored led on the connector. They discontinued the yo-yo for the dual usb ibooks and that is why they are telling you to get the white box -- it's the only adaptor they make now that will work with ibook.

icebookdude
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 17, 2003, 07:50 AM

Is it possible to put a opaque white battery in an crystal white ibook 700 combo? The opaque white battery has more power than the crystal white one. But Apple says that you can't put in an ibook 700 Combo. What is the reason for this?

ccsccs7
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 18, 2003, 05:17 AM

Hmmmm. This is interesting. I can no longer find the crystal white iBook battery at the Apple Store (online). Perhaps I should have purchased one a little while back while I could still find it.
12" Powerbook 1.5GHz/SuperDrive, 1.25GB Ram, 80GB HD, Airport Extreme, Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger
iBook (Late 2001)600MHz/Combo, 640MB RAM, 20GB HD, Airport, Mac OS X 10.3.9 Panther — web server

ink
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2003, 11:40 PM

I bought the new "opaque white" battery which is labeled "For 700 MHz iBook with 12.1-inch display and CD-ROM". I have an iBook/500 Combo DVD/CDR (yes, it has the limited-edition platium yo-yo that was only made with revA dual-usb iBooks) and it works great. It looks different than the rest of the laptop; it's more of a bright white while the rest of the machine is (ahem) more "creamy" looking...

It seems to last longer than I remember my first battery lasting, but then again it's been slowly losing it's endurance so my memory may be faulty.

Forum Links
Forum Rules