Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > is hot iBook charger safe?...

is hot iBook charger safe?...
bens1901
Jul 15, 2003, 12:18 PM

Hi.

My iBook's little squre-white power charger sometimes gets extremely hot. So hot that I think it could cause a burn if I touch it too long. Is this ok? Does this indicate anything?...like is it faulty? It gets hot no matter if it's connected to the wall, or plugged into a powerstrip.

Thanks for any advice.

-Ben

pat++
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2003, 12:53 PM

I noticed my brother's power adapter (white) gets very hot too compared to my yoyo... I guess it's just the way it is...

Sage
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2003, 04:50 PM

I have an iBook with the square adapter. I also live in southern California, and at the moment, it's 95 degrees F inside. And trust me, that adapter gets extremely hot (as well as the bottom of the iBook, though not as much)... I think it's fairly normal. Don't worry about it. Heck, because of the heat here, you could probably get a burn just from the bottom of my iBook (and that's even though it's perched on an iCurve, with plenty of circulation... it still gets incredibly hot).

silverlode
Forum Regular
Jul 15, 2003, 05:07 PM

Mine gets hotter than heck. No worries.
calibrated in-phase cylindrical chamber technician

iamnid
Senior User
Jul 15, 2003, 08:13 PM

Strange... the yoyo adapter on my girlfriend's 500mhz ibook gets WAY hotter than my square adapter on my 900mhz ibook -- which doesn't really get hot at all.

vvedge
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 16, 2003, 05:08 AM

Here's my question... why are you people feeling up your power adapters?! SICK!

Not to worry though, these things wont burn you or furnishings unless you do something really careless.

The only thing I've lost to a power adapter are a couple of chocolate bars I left near one. Mmmm melty..
--whats this button do?

Goodbye koobi
... we had fun, but Apple Repair and the years have not been kind to you... godspeed...

agentz
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2003, 05:42 AM

The PSU that comes with the iBook is rated at something like 45w - we've found that if you purchase the replacement Apple portable power adapter (M8943xx) it is considerably cooler than the original - it seems to be rated a little higher than the original.
MI5 doesn't do evil. Just treachery, treason and armageddon.

Forum Links
Forum Rules